AussieTitanFan08

The 10 Game Evaluation Period on the Offense now begins

Well, I go back to some criticisms of the Titans from the day they picked Mariota and throughout the Robinson era.  Everything they did was with the end goal of Mariota being successful and that goes to changing coaching staffs, play callers, personnel, etc.  It was a massive judgement failure as they were dead wrong that he was a franchise QB and that view enabled them to pass on better options more than once.

I do think play calling and personnel groupings were impacted on multiple staffs based on what Mariota could do well and trying to avoid where he struggled.  With Tannehill, I don't think they will be as limited. 

At the same time, I definitely think Smith was hired as a last ditch effort for Mariota to work out.  Hence, I'm not sure Vrabel is so tied to him or Carter (who was tied to LaFleur) if the offense doesn't take off.

QB has to be addressed in the offseason regardless.  They have zero guys under contract.  If Robinson and Vrabel know what they are doing, it can be a great position as the team overall has weapons on offense and a good defense.  Of course, if they are dolts they could blow it.

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

QB has to be addressed in the offseason regardless.  They have zero guys under contract.  If Robinson and Vrabel know what they are doing, it can be a great position as the team overall has weapons on offense and a good defense.  Of course, if they are dolts they could blow it.

Change is certainly coming the only question is it a minor retool or a complete reboot.

I'm of the opinion we don't have anyone currently on this staff that can be trusted to develop/integrate the rookie QBOTF, and that is a major issue that needs to be dealt with early in the upcoming offseason.

Totally agree. If nothing else this takes the Mariota excuse out of the equation and this will allow a true assessment of the state of the offense and coaches. This is perfect timing, as it is not too late to make a run, but also puts us in good position for some draft stock if the wheels fall off...

Edited by Former_Fan

25 minutes ago, ben4titans said:

Your GM and Head Coach shouldn't need to change QBs to properly evaluate their offense.

Mariota has so many weaknesses that half the playbook was shut down. Now they can actually run an NFL offense, if they can find blocking. Jrob better find a guard fast, and not count on Henry.

Just now, Tomachek said:

@big2033

Wanna give us your superior football insight on why, theirs nothing to evaluate? Since you feel Tannehill sucks and you need an elite QB to evaluate an offense.

I don't give insight. I just trash yours.

1 minute ago, RasKass said:

I like your assessment. To be honest I don't think Vrabel is a good coach. I don't want to see Aj Brown and Corey Davis and Derrick Henry go to waste playing for a guy that has no business coaching. If our team looks terrible these next 10 games and we see it wasn't Mariota, how could you not resign him?? How could you keep Vrabel?? Vrabel wasn't even a top notch coordinator & only reason he was hired was because the New England connection. 

You idiot. You can't see he is horrible no matter who is coaching? You really need help, and I'm not kidding.

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Benching Mariota and promoting Tannehill was absolutely the right way to go, the final 10 games of this season now becomes an evaluation period for this offense.

JRob needs to find out in these last 10 games exactly the reasons for the offensive struggles

- Was it mainly Mariota

- Is it Offensive Philosophy set by Vrabel

- Is it Arthur Smith's play calling

- How much of a problem is the OL and is it due to talent or coaching, is Keith Carter the issue.

- Is not having a true complimentary RB to Henry a real issue.

JRob has to find the answers to these questions before the season is done because there is absolutely no point drafting the QBOTF this offseason if the infrastructure is not in place to develop him and help him thrive in a modern NFL offense.

Gut feel is Vrabel will have a decision to make whether he is willing to gut his offensive coaching staff this offseason much like Mularkey refused to do a couple of years ago, and it will be interesting to see what friction it causes within the organisation.

You draft your QB if you like one. You don't hold off because you feel something's missing.

Edited by big2033

2 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

Because you have none. Your a joke.

I have plenty. I knew you were wrong. And you're so bitter about it you're name-dropping me in other threads.

So I'm just going to keep turning the screws. Ask around I'm good at this.

Edited by big2033

Just now, big2033 said:

You draft your QB if you like one. You don't hold off because you feel something's missing.

That has nothing to do with evaluating this year's offense.