Sign in to follow this  
BudAdams

Blake being Blake

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

Literally everything bad he said about RT applies to MM two fold.

I was going to ask if he got his descriptions mixed up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And let’s not pretend we didn’t see multiple QB’s struggle on Jeff Fisher coached teams.   Goff, Keenam and Foles looked like shit with Fisher and were playoff QB’s without him.  Scheme and coaching matter and this staff isn’t off the hot seat in the least in my opinion.  They still have to prove something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Righteous said:

He’s not wrong.  Vrabel and Art Smith are seriously inexperienced at their positions.  I am still waiting for Vrabel to answer the question why Mariota became so bad under his coaching.  Blessed is he who asks the questions.

Mariota always been bad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 52O said:

Mariota always been bad 

Mariota threw from 26 TD’s and 9 Ints in his second year in the league...he threw for 45 and 19 interceptions over his first two years.  That’s a completely false narrative.  No one on this Board or in real life was anticipating or wanting to draft Watson or Mahommes when we were drafting number 5 3 years ago.  Mariota always being bad is a completely false narrative.

 

His play fell off with Mularkey and that’s why he was replaced.  And his play has further regressed under Vrabel...but believe me, we were discussing max contract for Mariota years ago.

Edited by Righteous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Mariota threw from 26 TD’s and 9 Ints in his second year in the league...he threw for 45 and 19 interceptions over his first two years.  That’s a completely false narrative.  No one on this Board or in real life was anticipating or wanting to draft Watson or Mahommes when we were drafting number 5 3 years ago.  Mariota always being bad is a completely false narrative.

 

His play fell off with Mularkey and that’s why he was replaced.  And his play has further regressed under Vrabel...but believe me, we were discussing max contract for Mariota years ago.

No one was discussing that besides you looneys lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vrabel hire really doesn't make sense if Mularkey was fired due to MMs lack of progress. I know that's the accepted angle but it never made sense then and still doesn't.

 

A first time defensive HC makes more sense for a guy they think already peaked and they want to build and play around his deficiencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

The Vrabel hire really doesn't make sense if Mularkey was fired due to MMs lack of progress. I know that's the accepted angle but it never made sense then and still doesn't.

 

I honestly think Vrabel just wanted his own guy. Robinson never once mentioned Mariota when talking about Mularkey getting fired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OILERMAN said:

 

I honestly think Vrabel just wanted his own guy. Robinson never once mentioned Mariota when talking about Mularkey getting fired. 

Very important point there. Robinson’s comments had more to do with the team as a whole versus Mariota. It would be interesting knowing how Robinson evaluates Mariota prior to the Draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Righteous said:

Mariota threw from 26 TD’s and 9 Ints in his second year in the league...he threw for 45 and 19 interceptions over his first two years.  That’s a completely false narrative.  No one on this Board or in real life was anticipating or wanting to draft Watson or Mahommes when we were drafting number 5 3 years ago.  Mariota always being bad is a completely false narrative.

 

His play fell off with Mularkey and that’s why he was replaced.  And his play has further regressed under Vrabel...but believe me, we were discussing max contract for Mariota years ago.

 

With Mariota's "stats", context is always needed because of his hot/cold nature and in recent years hollow numbers.

 

In his rookie year, he had 3 monster games where he put up 11 TD and 1 INT (in their only 3 wins) and those also were the only games where his passer rating was over 100.  Of course the defenses for TB, NO, and Jax were 26th, 32nd, and 31st in Points Allowed.  In the other 9 games (all losses), 8 TD and 9 INT.

 

In 2016, there was the impressive 8 game stretch where he had 21 TD and 3 INT with 6 100+ passer rating games and the team was scoring 30 PPG and went 5-3.  Of course, the defenses in question in terms of PPG allowed:  18, 30, 22, 25, 29, 21, 22, 24.   The other 7 games?  5 TD and 6 INT.  16 PPG.  One game with a 100 passer rating.

 

Notice a trend?

 

2017 and on - it's been beaten to death but the bottom line is that he had one consistently good stretch of football in 4 and 1/3 seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

 

With Mariota's "stats", context is always needed because of his hot/cold nature and in recent years hollow numbers.

 

In his rookie year, he had 3 monster games where he put up 11 TD and 1 INT (in their only 3 wins) and those also were the only games where his passer rating was over 100.  Of course the defenses for TB, NO, and Jax were 26th, 32nd, and 31st in Points Allowed.  In the other 9 games (all losses), 8 TD and 9 INT.

 

In 2016, there was the impressive 8 game stretch where he had 21 TD and 3 INT with 6 100+ passer rating games and the team was scoring 30 PPG and went 5-3.  Of course, the defenses in question in terms of PPG allowed:  18, 30, 22, 25, 29, 21, 22, 24.   The other 7 games?  5 TD and 6 INT.  16 PPG.  One game with a 100 passer rating.

 

Notice a trend?

 

2017 and on - it's been beaten to death but the bottom line is that he had one consistently good stretch of football in 4 and 1/3 seasons. 

Mariota has not always been bad and that has not been the opinion of him for 4 1/2 years.  Quit it.  He has been brutally bad in the last 2 years but prior to that, no one was clamoring to replace Mariota.  Let’s not change the story to fit the agenda.  And the question remains why has he become this bad under Vrabel?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariota has played best when he had DeMarco Murray as RB (who was good in pass pro and catching the football and in running 2-3 yards on first down) and Rishard Matthews and Delanie in the slot.He trusted those guys. He also had some deep passes to Matthews and Kendall Wright. He needs big targets like AJ Brown now, Eric Decker, Evan Engram  or Jack Doyle big blocking TE with good hands. In that type of offense you don't know if we are going to throw or run the football. The only missing thing in this puzzle is speedy WR. And instead of drafting one JRob drafted Corey Davis and Derick Henry (very good players but not for this scheme).And last year when Matthews left and Delanie was out he was struggling in the beginning but eventually bounce back. And then LaFleur left...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no question.  He was bad under Mularkey unless he was schemed up and playing bad defenses.  He looked good against the Falcons just three weeks ago.  You know, the second worst defense in football?

 

The problem was that folks glossed over the flaws in 2015/2016 because he was young but they were all there from day 1.  The irony is that Mularkey did better than anyone in trying to put him in successful situations but even then it was a matter of time before that stuff gets adjusted to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

There's no question.  He was bad under Mularkey unless he was schemed up and playing bad defenses.  He looked good against the Falcons just three weeks ago.  You know, the second worst defense in football?

 

The problem was that folks glossed over the flaws in 2015/2016 because he was young but they were all there from day 1.  The irony is that Mularkey did better than anyone in trying to put him in successful situations but even then it was a matter of time before that stuff gets adjusted to. 

Like Nick Foles, Case Keenam and Jared Goff.  At some point you will have to look at the inexperienced coaching staff and think they just may just be horrible too.  Nepotism hires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had an experienced coaching staff and played Mariota the same way Smith and LaFleur did.  LaFleur tried to make it Rams like but it requires accurate passing and we all know how that went.

 

It's undeniable that Mariota has left tons of plays on the field through poor decisions or bad throws going on three coaching staffs now.  If you won't throw it unless a guy is wide open, then you cannot play the position at the NFL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.