nine

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll tell you, the biggest thing I noticed was zip on the ball and pocket awareness.  It was like Mariota was terrified to hang out in the pocket and wait for the big hit.  He was always moving and to

One thing I notice about the offense is they have no blitz beaters. When the safety slides over the slot WR and the slot CB clearly shows blitz, our WRs still run deep routes right into the safety.  T

It's hard to believe watching that video that Mariota is a 5th year QB who was drafted 2nd overall.    Looks like a poor man's Johnny Manziel. 

Posted Images

The Mariota one is unintentionally hilarious.  He just "created" his own pressure.  On one of the sacks (it was off of PA), there is no real pressure near him (NO ONE IS CLOSE TO HIM AT ALL!) and he leaves the pocket for some reason and runs into a sack.  And on the infamous two man rush, again there isn't much pressure and all he had to do was wait for a WR to break open OR step up in the pocket to buy time, he does neither.  There's another funny one, in the 2nd half, pocket is clean and he does a spin move and spins backwards (for no reason at all) and ends up leaving the pocket and throwing the ball out of bounds.  The velocity on his passes was awful.  Oh, I almost forgot about the 2nd awful miss to Henry, it was later on in the first q.  No one was really near him and Henry would have went for a long gain.

On Tannehil, I think he did well.  I would say, I think he picked the wrong WR on a 3rd down (pass to AJ Brown), when Davis appeared to be open.  The best throw was the on to Firsker over a S late in the game.  The difference in Tannehill over Mariota is stark, just on basic things like velocity and composure.  

I don't think the OL blocked that bad.  Davis got worked over a couple times.  But it's nowhere near this narrative that this OL is the drizzling shits.  Now you know why Saffold was outspoken, what can you do when you do your job and the QB acts like a retard?

Edited by rns90

One thing I notice about the offense is they have no blitz beaters. When the safety slides over the slot WR and the slot CB clearly shows blitz, our WRs still run deep routes right into the safety.  The safety is 15 yds off of the receiver. That should be a sight adjustment for the QB and WR. The reciever should immediately know to cut his route. Run 7 yds and face the QB. The QB should know to hit him quickly.i don't see the sight adjustments in this offense. Do they not have them, or do they just not trust Marcus and the WRs to make them? Hopefully they start to take advantage of this with RT.

It’s amazing watching Tannehill actually hit Humphries in the flats. I don’t think Mariota has hit him with those 3-5 yard passes on the sideline at all this year. Magically Humphries started getting open. You could tell Tanny was actually going through his reads too. Mariota seems to go to his first read and then immediately skips to his last read which is a dump off to Lewis. Tannehill was spreading the ball around to at least 5 or 6 different guys. 

I think we should air it out next week. Corey Davis was torching his guy on the quick out routes. Tannehill is a reason to hope again

This is completely unbais, and I'll do Tannehill on my lunch break:

Mariota first:

1. The misses to Henry in the flat, and Davis on his multiple out routes are completely unacceptable.

2. The 1st sack, Lewis gets beat immediately and Saffold got fooled by the stunt again.

3.  I thought the bootleg to Sharpe he could have got his feet down, and he had another to Brown where he got his feet down but couldn't hold onto the ball.  On the one to Brown Mariota got out of the pocket and rolled right to make the throw.  These are the type of plays where the WR's need to finish.

4. 2nd sack was on Mariota.  Can’t tell who the receiver is, but he’s open on the crossing route.  Gun shy?  Only thing I can think of is if Mariota thinks the DB near the 50 can make a play on the ball?

5. Pass #11 - No clue why Humphries isn’t the first read on this play.  DB’s are playing so far back and you would have two WR’s blocking downfield after the catch.  Combination of bad play design if Humphries isn’t the first read on that play, and Mariota not taking seeing and taking advantage of the check down after escaping the pocket.

6. 3rd Sack. Hard to blame Mariota, no one is open.  Davis gets pancaked in the running lane as soon as he takes off.

7. 1st interception.  Wr sits down, I think Mariota anticipates him continuing the route.  Blame goes on Mariota, but will never know at fans who was right WR or Mariota.

8. 2nd interception.  Jukes a defender and spins out of another sack.  Jennings had a chance to make a play on the ball, the DB made the play instead.

Overall, Mariota made a couple decent throws.  Made a couple nice attempts to escape the pocket.  Wr's could have made a couple great catches, but couldn't finish them.  When the offensive line is still playing bad, and when Mariota is missing the easy throws it just wipes away all the good.  

Edited by Tomachek

23 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

This is completely unbais, and I'll do Tannehill on my lunch break:

Mariota first:

1. The misses to Henry in the flat, and Davis on his multiple out routes are completely unacceptable.

2. The 1st sack, Lewis gets beat immediately and Saffold got fooled by the stunt again.

3.  I thought the bootleg to Sharpe he could have got his feet down, and he had another to Brown where he got his feet down but couldn't hold onto the ball.  On the one to Brown Mariota got out of the pocket and rolled right to make the throw.  These are the type of plays where the WR's need to finish.

4. 2nd sack was on Mariota.  Can’t tell who the receiver is, but he’s open on the crossing route.  Gun shy?  Only thing I can think of is if Mariota thinks the DB near the 50 can make a play on the ball?

5. Pass #11 - No clue why Humphries isn’t the first read on this play.  DB’s are playing so far back and you would have two WR’s blocking downfield after the catch.  Combination of bad play design if Humphries isn’t the first read on that play, and Mariota not taking seeing and taking advantage of the check down after escaping the pocket.

6. 3rd Sack. Hard to blame Mariota, no one is open.  Davis gets pancaked in the running lane as soon as he takes off.

7. 1st interception.  Wr sits down, I think Mariota anticipates him continuing the route.  Blame goes on Mariota, but will never know at fans who was right WR or Mariota.

8. 2nd interception.  Jukes a defender and spins out of another sack.  Jennings had a chance to make a play on the ball, the DB made the play instead.

Overall, Mariota made a couple decent throws.  Made a couple nice attempts to escape the pocket.  Wr's could have made a couple great catches, but couldn't finish them.  When the offensive line is still playing bad, and when Mariota is missing the easy throws it just wipes away all the good.  

This is nuts. The OL was pretty good aside from Davis when Mariota was in the game. Both interceptions were bad and its beyond absurd to blame either WR on the two sideline throws. 

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

This is nuts. The OL was pretty good aside from Davis when Mariota was in the game. Both interceptions were bad and its beyond absurd to blame either WR on the two sideline throws. 

I'm not blaming the receivers, I know they are difficult catches. You see those kind of catches all the time in the NFL though. Tannehill had a similar one to Davis that he couldn't finish.  Granted all 3 catches were difficult catches, but could have been completed.  That is all i'm saying.  Mariota gets the blame because he threw the interceptions, however he gave Jennings the opportunity to go up and get it the DB just made a better play.  Those are the type of plays you people have literally been bitching about, it just happened to go the wrong way for him.

I already starting the review on Tannehill, and have way more positive things to say once I finish.  I am not sitting here defending Mariota, and you'll see that when I post about Tannehill.  I keep on forgetting it's a sin around here to say anything about another player on offense.

2 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

I'm not blaming the receivers, I know they are difficult catches. You see those kind of catches all the time in the NFL though. Tannehill had a similar one to Davis that he couldn't finish.  Granted all 3 catches were difficult catches, but could have been completed.  That is all i'm saying.  Mariota gets the blame because he threw the interceptions, however he gave Jennings the opportunity to go up and get it the DB just made a better play.  Those are the type of plays you people have literally been bitching about, it just happened to go the wrong way for him.

I already starting the review on Tannehill, and have way more positive things to say once I finish.  I am not sitting here defending Mariota, and you'll see that when I post about Tannehill.  I keep on forgetting it's a sin around here to say anything about another player on offense.

My issue is the framing of the OL being horrible. Everytime I watch the all-22 its obvious the OL has held up pretty well aside from Davis. Saffold is good on most downs but when he's bad he's really bad and it results in a sack. As a whole the unit has been average at worst despite the offense being in 3rd and long all season.

Its been going on like 3 or so years now but whenever MM has a bad game people point to the oline immediately but then pff and other analytic sites will review the game and the oline wont even be ranked bad. We are always ranked within top 5 to top 15 range in pffs oline rankings yet the belief is the oline is horrible. Shit is not adding up.

9 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

Davis did all he could on that Tannehill sideline throw.  If those are your standards, they aren't realistic