How Hot Should Mike Vrabel's Seat Be?

Jonboy

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

You def were wishy washy, giving him way too much credit for wins last year and saying they could still win it all with him just a few weeks ago. 

Not to mention you being the most vocal(aside from the self banned Jamal) about him needing to play from some Mahomes type spread, which is completely false. 

Lol I said if he could be average we could go deep in the playoffs with this defense and talent on offense, which I believe is true. If Tannehill can be an average QB then we are a dangerous team every week. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most around here know I wasn't huge fan of the Vrabel hire. I thought he was terribly unqualified and very limited in his experience. He was a defensive-minded coach who only had 1 year as a DC. His d

I despised his attitude. The NFL is unfair, unforgiving and will knock the cockiness out of the toughest men. For an example see him crying like a little bitch about going to work and missing his fami

Vrabel himself as a coach aside, I also hate the idea of a defensive head coach more everyday. You absolutely have to find a top-tier OC, and once you do...he'll be gone for a HC gig almost immediatel

I don’t think his seat is even warm yet...but after a strong coaching performance last year, this year has been a decided step in the wrong direction.   We’ve seen several ill-advised or just straight-up dumb coaching decisions that need to be cleaned up.   He’s got to be better.

Unless the decision to stick with Mariota was made by AAS I'm pretty much out on both JRob and Vrabel. The way the situation was handled created a lost season. They should have just bit the bullet and moved on.

I'm already out on Vrabel as a coach, but I don't see him getting fired unless we end up only winning 1-2 more games.

Ideally we hire an OC to be the head coach and draft a new QB. I think it's bad to have a defensive head coach dictating a conservative offense. Any good OC will get hired as a HC right now. I do think the OC churn is generally bad for your offense, especially a young QB.

12 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Unless the decision to stick with Mariota was made by AAS I'm pretty much out on both JRob and Vrabel. The way the situation was handled created a lost season. They should have just bit the bullet and moved on.

I'm already out on Vrabel as a coach, but I don't see him getting fired unless we end up only winning 1-2 more games.

Ideally we hire an OC to be the head coach and draft a new QB. I think it's bad to have a defensive head coach dictating a conservative offense. Any good OC will get hired as a HC right now. I do think the OC churn is generally bad for your offense, especially a young QB.

Out on both? Wow. 

I'm getting there - not there yet - on Vrabel.

As for Robinson, I hate how he handled the coaching search and believe he's probably not very good at evaluating coaches. I think he's done a pretty solid job with the roster though.

A talented QB is all he needs. It's all Jrob needs. It's all the line needs. Marcus is such a nice solid individual, they hate to see it. If Marcus had a different personality or visible character flaws, the whole team and staff would be shitting on him publicly. This would be over. 

But he's a great guy and ya hate to see it. 

The reality is that Vrabel is a reflection of Robinson.  Fair or not, Robinson convinced the ownership to fire Mularkey off a playoff season and then handpicked Vrabel from a small coaching search pool.

I'd also argue that Robinson is vastly overrated on TR.  Yes, his regime is better than Webster/Beddinfield but that's not much of an accomplishment.  That said, he's had as many misses as hits and far too often paid big money for players who have not lived up to contracts.  He ignored QB until this spring even though the signs on Mariota not panning out were there even in 2016.

If this season continues down the path it's on, ownership has to question the leadership of the whole thing.  How could they not?

His seat isn’t hot. 

he took over a team built for MM and not the QB he has in mind for the long term. He was forced with trying to make it right with MM before he got his own shiny new toy. 

he tried. 

he gets a solid roster and a new QB and a clean slate at the end of the year. 

34 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Out on both? Wow. 

I'm getting there - not there yet - on Vrabel.

As for Robinson, I hate how he handled the coaching search and believe he's probably not very good at evaluating coaches. I think he's done a pretty solid job with the roster though.

JR has been damn good at drafting. 

for the most part his FA picks have been decent. 

who would have guessed Saffold and Lewis would have been huge busts? Quite frankly none of us. They seemed like sure things. 

Butler is having a good almost great year and Ryan is amazing. 

JR team building prowess is just fine. 

Vrabel is a damn good coach. 

they need an OC with experience and a new QB   

Smith at OC was basically forced to keep continuity on the offense and a last ditch attempt at keeping things easy for MM

they have to blow up the offense in the offseason

Vrabel started with a team that was 9-7 from 2017 and won a playoff game.  In 2018, his team was again 9-7 but failed to make the playoffs.  This year the team has taken a big step backwards and Vrabel is now exactly .500.  Unless things change dramatically he will be under .500 at year end, perhaps significantly so.

If we don't judge a head coach by his record, then what do we judge him by?

Edited by ctm

We know Mariota isn't the answer. I'm starting to think Vrabel isn't the answer,  and JRob needs to be held accountable too. At what point does AAS get tired of owning a mediocre franchise that is clearly regressing. It is becoming broken, so you fix it, starting at the top. This continuity bullshit is half the reason we are in this situation. I'm shocked Carter hasn't been shown the door, and feel like Smith could be a one year experiment as well. 

8 minutes ago, Former_Fan said:

We know Mariota isn't the answer. I'm starting to think Vrabel isn't the answer,  and JRob needs to be held accountable too. At what point does AAS get tired of owning a mediocre franchise that is clearly regressing. It is becoming broken, so you fix it, starting at the top. This continuity bullshit is half the reason we are in this situation. I'm shocked Carter hasn't been shown the door, and feel like Smith could be a one year experiment as well. 

You have a long way to go for AAS to sour on JRob, and because of that Vrabel isn't going anywhere for a couple of years.

4 minutes ago, japan said:

You have a long way to go for AAS to sour on JRob, and because of that Vrabel isn't going anywhere for a couple of years.

Like a losing record, trainwreck at QB, and a half empty stadium after said GM convinced you to fire the HC after a season with a playoff win because the talent wasn't being maximized? 

Robinson has not seized the day with having more control.