Jonboy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most around here know I wasn't huge fan of the Vrabel hire. I thought he was terribly unqualified and very limited in his experience. He was a defensive-minded coach who only had 1 year as a DC. His d

I despised his attitude. The NFL is unfair, unforgiving and will knock the cockiness out of the toughest men. For an example see him crying like a little bitch about going to work and missing his fami

Vrabel himself as a coach aside, I also hate the idea of a defensive head coach more everyday. You absolutely have to find a top-tier OC, and once you do...he'll be gone for a HC gig almost immediatel

1 minute ago, Jonboy said:

Should he be though? That's my question.

No.  He was absolutely terrific last year.  Getting 9 wins out of that team and the way he managed games was something we haven't seen since Fisher in his prime.

The QB has not played well.  You generally don't win when the QB doesn't play well.

Edited by scine09

2 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Should he be though? That's my question.

I'm not really sure on this Monday morning to be honest. 

But I tend to think he and Robinson should get a chance to pick their QB and then build around them for 2 to 3 years before overall judgement is rendered. 

He did say he'd cut his dick off for a Superbowl, so I'm willing to give him some more time!

I think we should wait to see how his team looks with semi competent QB play under Tannehill before rendering judgement this year. 

Now, if he were to come out and announce Mariota as the starter this week, I have my pitchfork on standby. 

He could have a Jeff Fisher like trajectory, mediocrity for the first few years and then success with the right QB. 

Edited by tgo

3 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Vrabel himself as a coach aside, I also hate the idea of a defensive head coach more everyday. You absolutely have to find a top-tier OC, and once you do...he'll be gone for a HC gig almost immediately. 

I would be interested in an analysis of this, looking back 10 years or so. I wonder if the rule changes have had a marked effect on coaching tenures based on defensive versus offensive background (controlling for bad front office/rebuilding). Probably more complicated picture, but I wonder if you’re on to something...

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Actually the fact they have to go Qb this offseason could accelerate his firing. 

You don't think he came in excited about Mariota as his QB do you?  Seems obvious that he was foisted on him by either JRob, because of how he got rid of Mularkey, or AAS who has a soft spot for the guy.  Why should he be punished for this?

I find it hard to blame the coaching when Marcus can't throw an accurate screen pass.  QBs have to punish aggressive defenses.  Otherwise they get eaten up.

If the season continues the trajectory it’s currently on he’ll likely get the Mularkey ultimatum.  However I can see him offering up Arthur Smith as a sacrificial lamb (though likely deserved) and convincing JR on a vision moving forward with a new QB/OC.  There could be a good pool of OCs to choose from at the end of the season.  

That being said, I have zero faith in him developing a QBotF and it will likely take getting lucky in both the draft pick/OC hire to have any long term success.  If the season continues as is, I could see Robinson being enticed to entertain other options, but if Tannehill treads water and we get to 6+ wins, I think he saves his job by axing Smith and pleading his case to rebuild with a rookie.   The obvious problem being that everyone will know at that point his seat is pretty warm, and if it fails (which it usually does) we’ll be fuming that we didn’t cut bait a year sooner being stuck with another potential rebuild and a QB that whatever new staff didn’t pick themselves.  Such is the NFL 

Edited by Mercalius

8 minutes ago, oldschool said:

What if they go 4-12? The schedule is brutal. They only play 3 teams with losing records the rest of the season: Jags, Bucs, and Chargers.

When you can't score, it's impossible to win.  It's hard to overstate how dysfunctional the entire offense is.

Vrabel probably gets year 3 based on his contract alone, but his seat deserves to be red hot.  There must be accountability from everyone involved.

AAS can't expect the fans to pay thousands to dollars for tickets to see this shit show of an offense.

It shouldn't be. Take your bullshit Coach Carousel ideas to the Cleveland Browns where it belongs. The team is a solid QB and interior OL away from being good. Its fixable. Entering a state of flipping coaches every other year is doomed to failure. 

13 minutes ago, stats said:

I would be interested in an analysis of this, looking back 10 years or so. I wonder if the rule changes have had a marked effect on coaching tenures based on defensive versus offensive background (controlling for bad front office/rebuilding). Probably more complicated picture, but I wonder if you’re on to something...

Belichick would throw a wrench into a lot of that research