BudAdams

Offense/Mariota article - Football Perspective

Recommended Posts

Gutless offense. I honestly can't wait until RT gets in there and throws a few rockets into the hands of DBs because at least some of the time Davis will make a great play on the ball and get a big play. This offense is so boring this is the only thing to look forward to this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

My guess is Mariota is doing exactly what they want him to. The team is just very conservative by design. 

You're probably right. I wouldn't be surprised if RT is a JR move and the coaching staff has no real interest in moving away from MM unless he fails to run their conservative mistake free offense. I'm not sure where the pressure will come from to make the move if they maintain this low scoring losing offense without MM throwing picks, because it's pretty clear the team isn't really about winning at all costs.

 

It's hard to see how MM is still starting if this isn't roughly what they wanted from him. Looks like yet again it's up to everyone around the QB to play perfectly to get the outcome they want and that will be the approach until it becomes inevitably a failure.

 

It's starting to look like we'll be hoping for a new staff along with the new QB in 2020. Only a great QB can save this shit show.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

My guess is Mariota is doing exactly what they want him to. The team is just very conservative by design. 

 

3 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

You're probably right. I wouldn't be surprised if RT is a JR move and the coaching staff has no real interest in moving away from MM unless he fails to run their conservative mistake free offense. I'm not sure where the pressure will come from to make the move if they maintain this low scoring losing offense without MM throwing picks, because it's pretty clear the team isn't really about winning at all costs.

 

It's hard to see how MM is still starting if this isn't roughly what they wanted from him. Looks like yet again it's up to everyone around the QB to play perfectly to get the outcome they want and that will be the approach until it becomes inevitably a failure.

 

It's starting to look like we'll be hoping for a new staff along with the new QB in 2020. Only a great QB can save this shit show.

 

 

When you have not faith in either QB you go conservative.

 

You guys thought it was the staff with Mularkey etc.

 

It's time to realize they have some idea of what their QB can do and are doing their best with it.

 

Winning at all costs means playing to your strengths. QB is not our strength, so why play to that? 

 

We went 9-7 three years in a row playing this way? Why did you guys think this was going to change? Mariota has to grow WITHIN this offense for us to call more passes, if he doesn't show it he won't change.

 

Just like everyone wanted Henry to get more carries, and he got more carries when he did better with the little he had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK - they openly talk about him letting it rip but he's not going to do that.  I think they can live with it as long as they win games and he can be efficient enough.  Of course we all know he's not and they'll be staring at a 7 or 8 win season.

 

This staff knows his limitations and how they have to play.  My guess is that if they start losing more games with shitty offense, they'll go to Tannehill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

My guess is Mariota is doing exactly what they want him to. The team is just very conservative by design. 

 

Speaking as someone who has watched them religiously since 1985, they have been the most consistently conservative team in the league since they moved to Tennessee. They are the Pat Buchanan of the NFL.

 

The only common denominator is they've drafted only "dual-threat" QBs since 1995. Time to break the cycle and get a real QB.

Edited by kgsTitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think back to his rookie training camp. Mariota went an extremely long time before ever throwing an INT in camp.

 

I remember analysis saying that was actually a bad thing, not a good thing. For the very reason in this article. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

Gutless offense. I honestly can't wait until RT gets in there and throws a few rockets into the hands of DBs because at least some of the time Davis will make a great play on the ball and get a big play. This offense is so boring this is the only thing to look forward to this season.

RT is fairly risk adverse as well.  But he's at least got a trigger finger , more consistent delivery, and a plan B.  Most interceptions come from overlooking lbs and safeties, or from trying to do too much under pressure when his team needs a play.   I definitely think that he's more willing to take shots than Mariota , if that is asked of him.  

Edited by abc2330

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

 

 

Adam nails it

 

Adam • 5 hours ago

Marcus Mariota is the king of posting a good passer rating while failing to score many points.

Including playoffs, Mariota has 34 starts with a passer rating of 85 or higher. In 11 of those games Tennessee failed to score even 20 points:

2015 @ CLE - 96.3 rating, 14 points
2016 vs MIN - 86.5 rating, 16 points
2016 @ DET - 102.8 rating, 16 points
2016 @ IND - 106.2 rating, 17 points
2017 vs JAX - 92.2 rating, 15 points
2017 @ NWE - 98.3 rating, 14 points
2018 vs BAL - 90.1 rating, 0 points (!)
2018 @ LAC - 92.8 rating, 19 points
2018 @ HOU - 147.7 rating, 17 points (!)
2019 vs IND - 93.5 rating, 17 points
2019 vs BUF - 86.0 rating, 7 points

Mariota's conservative play boosts his comp % and TD/INT ratio but doesn't help his offense score points. I'm not sure if Titans management has let the numbers fool them into thinking Mariota is a good QB, but he needs to be replaced for the 2020 season if Tennessee wants to become a real contender.

Without a league comparison, this means little. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.