Offense/Mariota article - Football Perspective

BudsOilers

13 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

This data is why I think the less savvy football fans, A.K.A. dullards either still don't understand or took so long to be convinced Mariota sucks. 

He really is an anomaly in terms of his numbers vs how bad he really is. He's one of the worst QBs in the league in obvious passing situations but a hack like Fahey can make the ridiculous claim he's the best based on his numbers taken out of context. 

The dude had a 90+ passer rating against the Ravens last year and was absolutely pitiful. He took sack after sack and got shut out in that game. You don't see a QB do that in that situation. It was the same case against NE in the postseason, 98 passer rating and was terrible. 

PFF talks about conservative QBs being one of the worst things a franchise can be strapped to all the time. 

Whatever you you think about PFF’s grading system, they really do contribute positive things to the conversation.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My guess is Mariota is doing exactly what they want him to. The team is just very conservative by design. 

Adam nails it   Adam • 5 hours ago Marcus Mariota is the king of posting a good passer rating while failing to score many points. Including playoffs, Mariota has 34 starts with a p

Just like VY, it completely blows my mind how fans are watching the product on the field and are still convinced the QB would be fine if there were better pieces around him.   Andrew Luck to

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

It's more than his ability to extend plays.  Wilson is far more accurate, makes more intermediate/deep passes, has become an excellent pocket passer, and excels versus zone or man.  He's also much smarter in terms of game situations/management.

He's better in every way than Mariota.

17 hours ago, BudAdams said:

IDK - they openly talk about him letting it rip but he's not going to do that.  I think they can live with it as long as they win games and he can be efficient enough.  Of course we all know he's not and they'll be staring at a 7 or 8 win season.

This staff knows his limitations and how they have to play.  My guess is that if they start losing more games with shitty offense, they'll go to Tannehill. 

I don't put the conservative gameplans on Marcus. He's conservative with his on the field decision making but this is on the staff as well. It's a lot of heavy two tight end sets and very little spread offense. With our talent at receiver, it seems like more spread offense would create more mismatches. If it's not the Titans game plan, why did Marcus have such a productive game at Atlanta? He threw to the sidelines, he threw over the top of the defense. He escaped pressure. He didn't have the TIME to do any of that in the Bills game.

1 minute ago, freakingeek said:

I don't put the conservative gameplans on Marcus. He's conservative with his on the field decision making but this is on the staff as well. It's a lot of heavy two tight end sets and very little spread offense. With our talent at receiver, it seems like more spread offense would create more mismatches. If it's not the Titans game plan, why did Marcus have such a productive game at Atlanta? He threw to the sidelines, he threw over the top of the defense. He escaped pressure. He didn't have the TIME to do any of that in the Bills game.

I think they are intertwined because they know Mariota's strengths and weaknesses.  If they went 11 personnel and started passing it 60% of the time, he'd face more exotic looks in terms of coverages/pressures and it would be like the 2017 Steelers game or more likely the 2018 Ravens version. 

If teams will play soft man coverage, Mariota (or any NFL caliber QB) will carve that up with pretty simple routes/reads.  It was shocking how open receivers were so quickly against Atlanta, who BTW has the 2nd worst scoring defense in football.  If you go back to the success in the opener, the damn broke when the Titans were up 9 and started getting TO's and short fields.  Cleveland stacked to play the run and the Titans ran play action to combat it.  Play with a lead and that can also succeed.

The reality is that if one looks at the context of his solid YTD numbers, you see that everything was schemed up.  Aside from late 3Q/4Q at Cleveland and the first half at Atlanta (half of their offensive points were here), the offense has been pretty awful.  Only the Jets have more 3 and outs.  The team isn't scoring consistently and actually is 23rd in scoring overall but 4th worst in scoring over the last 3 games.

Mariota is just too inconsistent with how he plays for the coaches to entrust a more wide open attack.  I can't blame them based on his body of work.  Will he throw it to the open guy?  Will he actually do things on time?  Is the pass accurate?  Sometimes.

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

It's not fair to compare Mariota to elite players though!  ?

LOL the expectation from my end when running an offense like this is that the QB dictates how much we go from run-first to pass first.

The Seahawks dabbled with this for a while but I think they realized that a ball-control offense would better protect their gutted defense. And they knew they had the luxury of having a QB that would still put up MVP numbers regardless of how little attempts he got.

Meanwhile, Mariota has show NOTHING for the Titans to expand the passing game further. In fact he's shown them the less the better to keep games close.

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Meanwhile, Mariota has show NOTHING for the Titans to expand the passing game further. In fact he's shown them the less the better to keep games close.

You could definitely tell it in the 2nd half of the Buffalo game.  They ran the ball more to avoid another Mariota implosion.

4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Lewan and Davis have sub 40 ratings per PFF.  Not saying that will continue but that is a fact.  Last I checked that does suck and obviously "cleaning up the sacks" is based on them sucking.  

So here is the illogical BS.  Yea, the OL sucks and needs to fix their suck but this idea they suck is a BS narrative.

Individual grades based on a few sacks don't mean shit. Look at the overall numbers of the OL. Mariota is not under constant pressure. The stupid PFF grades also don't factor in down and distance which is a huge factor. Its a cold hard fact the OL does not suck.