Mariota's sacks vs. Buffalo

nine

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sack 1?  The play starts with an unbalanced alignment. Trips to the right slot and one wide right (Dion) outside the numbers.  Dion shifts into the BF leaving Slot Trips Right. There are no

I'm not too interested in which specific sacks are OL or QB. I just want to see the QB make some big plays regardless of what's in front of him. Good QBs do this league wide regularly.

I read a lot of "eye test" on here and my eyes told me one QB had a lot of collapsing pockets and one QB had what seemed like forever to throw.   Went back and looked at the condensed version rep

Posted Images

4 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Among 26 qualifying NFL quarterbacks, Mariota has averaged the 4th longest time in the pocket per drop back at 2.90 seconds. He’s spent at least 2.5 seconds — roughly the NFL average time to attempt — in the pocket on 61.9% of his drop backs this season, the 3rd highest rate in the league. Out of his 22 sacks, 17 of them have come more than 2.5 seconds after the snap.

"I don’t point this out to pick on Mariota. I get that he’s dealt with a ton of adversity, including objectively poor offensive line play and that factors into everything that we see with him. I want to see him succeed and finally break through. I’ve long believed in his physical tool set. It’s just very alarming to see him leading the league in this statistic for two straight years now.

The good news is that this tendency has seemed to improve slightly the last two weeks. Mariota did a great job of getting the ball out against Atlanta and most of his sacks against Buffalo were clearly offensive line issues. If things trend more towards the decisive, quick release Mariota we saw in Atlanta moving forward, I think a lot of the sack issues will disappear."

MCM

6 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

"I don’t point this out to pick on Mariota. I get that he’s dealt with a ton of adversity, including objectively poor offensive line play and that factors into everything that we see with him. I want to see him succeed and finally break through. I’ve long believed in his physical tool set. It’s just very alarming to see him leading the league in this statistic for two straight years now.

The good news is that this tendency has seemed to improve slightly the last two weeks. Mariota did a great job of getting the ball out against Atlanta and most of his sacks against Buffalo were clearly offensive line issues. If things trend more towards the decisive, quick release Mariota we saw in Atlanta moving forward, I think a lot of the sack issues will disappear."

MCM

LOL - It's YEAR 5.  This faint hope that he's going to finally get it and break through, JFC.  He is what he is.  He's not going to process the field any faster.  He's not going to have great feel and escape from pressure.  He's not going to have good situational awareness.  He's shown little improvement in those areas during his entire career and again it's YEAR 5!

The following information, as discussed previously, is part of why it's not going to get better. 

The reason I list Mariota here is because he’s not helping the matter when it comes to his protection. There are times when there is nothing he can do and he’s swallowed up immediately. However, there are also still far too many instances of him holding onto the ball, bringing his eyes down, and taking unnecessary sacks.

There are several charting stats from PFF that back up this assertion. Among 26 qualifying NFL quarterbacks, Mariota has averaged the 4th longest time in the pocket per drop back at 2.90 seconds. He’s spent at least 2.5 seconds — roughly the NFL average time to attempt — in the pocket on 61.9% of his drop backs this season, the 3rd highest rate in the league. Out of his 22 sacks, 17 of them have come more than 2.5 seconds after the snap.

Mariota has been under pressure on 36.0% of his drop backs which ranks as the 15th highest pressure rate in the league among those same 26 passers. The problem is that no quarterback allows pressure to be converted to sacks at a higher rate than Mariota. He allows 34.4% of his pressures to turn into sacks. The next highest rate in the league is rookie Kyler Murray at 30.0%. The median rate among the 26 qualifying quarterbacks we are looking at here is 16.2%, less than half of Mariota’s rate. This isn’t limited to just 2019 either unfortunately. Mariota also led the league in this category in 2018 with 29.8% of his pressures turning into sacks.

5 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

LOL - It's YEAR 5.  This faint hope that he's going to finally get it and break through, JFC.  He is what he is.  He's not going to process the field any faster.  He's not going to have great feel and escape from pressure.  He's not going to have good situational awareness.  He's shown little improvement in those areas during his entire career and again it's YEAR 5!

The following information, as discussed previously, is part of why it's not going to get better. 

The data is what it is and shows the Titans OL is not bad by any stretch. In fact they are much better than the Mariota homers want to admit. 

The OL has been OK, certainly not great, but Mariota impacts things way more that some want to admit - from not pulling the trigger to how teams defend the Titans.

I sincerely doubt the Titans will see a team defend them as poorly as the Falcons did in terms of coverage and minimal pass rush.

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

The OL has been OK, certainly not great, but Mariota impacts things way more that some want to admit - from not pulling the trigger to how teams defend the Titans.

I sincerely doubt the Titans will see a team defend them as poorly as the Falcons did in terms of coverage and minimal pass rush.

I didn't watch much of the all-22 last year but it was clear the interior was total garbage most of the year. The Team moving on from Spain and Kline seems to back that up. Point being I think it's been upgraded; Jones looks way better, Davis seems serviceable and I have to believe Saffold will improve now that Lewan is back and they are playing together.

21 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I didn't watch much of the all-22 last year but it was clear the interior was total garbage most of the year. The Team moving on from Spain and Kline seems to back that up. Point being I think it's been upgraded; Jones looks way better, Davis seems serviceable and I have to believe Saffold will improve now that Lewan is back and they are playing together.

It sounds like most of Saffold's issues are due to the lack of continuity with the LT and adapting to a "new coaching style" as he put it (in the context of technique) while also trying to put his own "flavor" on it. 

Btw - I bet Carter is super rigid on overarching technique, whereas Munchak and Grimm were both notorious for adapting different techniques for specific players.

Edited by tgo

1 hour ago, DecepticonShawn said:

He routinely braces for hits a good second or two before they reach him.

I actually started noticing this more and more. I have no idea the time frame but MM def started ducking and bracing for impact before the rusher get there more and more. As I've posted earlier, containment is no longer a concern. His mobility is a non factor and he's just a sitting duck. It's very odd. 

Bottom line is the dude sucks 

6 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I actually started noticing this more and more. I have no idea the time frame but MM def started ducking and bracing for impact before the rusher get there more and more. As I've posted earlier, containment is no longer a concern. His mobility is a non factor and he's just a sitting duck. It's very odd. 

Bottom line is the dude sucks 

He's just waiting to get pounded.....

96BBFD5C-3DA9-42E9-A3F9-B821BBD9E54A.jpeg.4c002d3e804143b61f5e6299611e4d6c.jpeg