Mariota's sacks vs. Buffalo

nine

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sack 1?  The play starts with an unbalanced alignment. Trips to the right slot and one wide right (Dion) outside the numbers.  Dion shifts into the BF leaving Slot Trips Right. There are no

I'm not too interested in which specific sacks are OL or QB. I just want to see the QB make some big plays regardless of what's in front of him. Good QBs do this league wide regularly.

I read a lot of "eye test" on here and my eyes told me one QB had a lot of collapsing pockets and one QB had what seemed like forever to throw.   Went back and looked at the condensed version rep

Posted Images

@nine Which of these do you think are on Mariota? I'd argue the 1st one as well as the last one were on him for sure. The 2nd and 3rd one were on 3rd and 11 and 3rd and 8 respectively. Alexander made an incredible play with the spin move to beat Saffold and and 3rd one is a clear miscommunication between Lewan and Saffold. The 4th is  Davis simply being overpowered. 

something else worth noting is that the Titans only gave up one sack in the 2nd half. The protection wasn't as bad as it looked the 1st time watching the game. 

There was definitely a subtle change made for the 2nd half as protection improves. Sack 1 and Sack 5 are definitely on Mariota. The one where Alexander spun past Saffold and the other one where the line completely collapsed were on bad Oline play. Only one left in question IMO.

Just now, AvgJoe said:

There was definitely a subtle change made for the 2nd half as protection improves. Sack 1 and Sack 5 are definitely on Mariota. The one where Alexander spun past Saffold and the other one where the line completely collapsed were on bad Oline play. Only one left in question IMO.

That was a great move by Alexander. I'm not going to kill Saffold over that play. the other guys get paid too.

Mariota's neighbor told me that when Mariota goes walking in his neighborhood, bad kids run at him and jump on his back tackling him.  Mariota's neighbor said what is so bad is that Mariota never sees the kids coming at him- some of the kids run right toward Mariota in front of him and he does not see them.   The neighbor said many other neighbors feel sorry for Mariota, especially the parents of the kids and most neighbors, seeing Mariota is fixing to be gang tackled,  yell at Mariota, "watch out" while pointing at the kids fixing to take him down, but Mariota just continues walking showing no care in the world. 

Out of concern, my friend had a talk with Mariota about it. He told Mariota that one of the main kids, who has the leading number of hits and tackles on the neighborhood walking Mariota, will get his driver license in the next month and Mariota should think about learning better awareness because the kid has been bragging that he will use his car to go after Mariota. 

Edited by 9 Nines

43 minutes ago, oldschool said:

@nine Which of these do you think are on Mariota? I'd argue the 1st one as well as the last one were on him for sure. The 2nd and 3rd one were on 3rd and 11 and 3rd and 8 respectively. Alexander made an incredible play with the spin move to beat Saffold and and 3rd one is a clear miscommunication between Lewan and Saffold. The 4th is  Davis simply being overpowered. 

something else worth noting is that the Titans only gave up one sack in the 2nd half. The protection wasn't as bad as it looked the 1st time watching the game. 

Ì think the 3rd one is the only egregious one. The first one he probably should have got rid of but he had done well on the day escaping a couple sacks so it's not always a bad thing to try it again on 3rd down. The 3rd one he had Walker WIDE open infront of him. Inexcusable not to throw it. The last one it looked like he might have turned it over if he threw it so it was probably wise to eat the sack

20 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Really football 101.  You always have a safety valve you can get the ball to or if needed fire into the guys feet.  So it can be scheme or the QB waiting too long.  Also, you can use guys to chip the edge and quickly go to a spot in the flat on one or both sides of the field so you get some help in protection and one or two safety valve options.  Once you have established the OL isn't getting it done you have to make these adjustments.  You can't just keep playing the same BS.  And finally, that is what screen passes are for.  As in the one and only we had to Smith.  Perfect design and execution.  That play should have come sooner and more often.  Not exactly the same but variations of it.  

There is a lot of truth here. Smith's most obvious adjustment was running on 1st down in the 2md half. I dont think they threw it once on 1st down in the 3rd quarter.

9 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Nah, oldschool. It really was that bad. Saffold is getting bull-rushed straight into the QB and put on his ass. He's been getting blown up since the preseason but everyone said "it's just preseason" as if it would magically go away just because the games count now. It hasn't gotten better and I don't see many ways it will improve in terms of him being physically dominated. I'm also not saying every play needs a pristine pocket but what I am saying is that OL getting manhandled every other play is NOT normal and NOT on the QB.It also isn't conducive to good offensive play. get that we want accountability for Mariota but what about accountability for the other players. They get paid too. Saffold is currently making $11 million dollars from us, would you say he's earned his pay so far this season. Hell no. 

Come back to reality. The OL was not bad yesterday. 3rd and long is an OL killer