Failed Art Smith Experiment

Supdawg

The direction at the end of the year will be telling because it's indisputable that the teams has made a ton of coaching and personnel moves in an effort for Mariota to succeed.  Smith was hired in large part because he represented continuity and the "concept" of maximizing the use of Mariota.

Assuming it's up and down like it's been for the remainder of the year, Vrabel, Smith, and Robinson should be on the hot seat. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its the QB

2-3 with 2 division losses and 2 home losses...outlook for the season is wonderful, guys!

OC is changed Team has the same issues Must be the OC   Sound logic...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

You gotta find the hidden gems in this board. There were multiple posts with people talking about how Lafleur sucked. Smith is clearly behind Lafleur in terms of being an OC so it's no contest there but I think Smith is slowly improving. I liked that he was less predictable this week and called a lot of effective plays. The penalties make it hard to judge the overall flow of the offense but I liked what I saw in the 2nd half. I'll meet you in the middle and say that he's probably a little over his head (not way) but I think he's finding his way. I think he put players in good positions on Sunday and they let him down. 

This season has been such a disappointment.  I agree with the missed opportunities, and nobody knows what would have happened if w had a kicker or didn't have the unlucky INT or fumble.  The penalties I still put on Smith bc they've been a new issue the entire year.  But when a gameplan is laid out for you- i.e. Throw the ball vs. TB and run vs. Carolina- and you veer away from that by running heavy sets against TB and passing more and running Lewis vs Carolina, then you better be right.  If not, you're going to have to answer questions like, "Why did Henry have 2 carries in the first half?"  It felt like we only sustained a drive during the past two games when we started doing what we should have from the beginning.

8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The direction at the end of the year will be telling because it's indisputable that the teams has made a ton of coaching and personnel moves in an effort for Mariota to succeed.  Smith was hired in large part because he represented continuity and the "concept" of maximizing the use of Mariota.

Assuming it's up and down like it's been for the remainder of the year, Vrabel, Smith, and Robinson should be on the hot seat. 

I think we learned that you shouldn't say shit about being great or set any expectations unless you have a QB.  Either an elite QB or a staff which can get them to play like one.  Without that, there is no reason to expect to win more than 9 games.

33 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

This season has been such a disappointment.  I agree with the missed opportunities, and nobody knows what would have happened if w had a kicker or didn't have the unlucky INT or fumble.  The penalties I still put on Smith bc they've been a new issue the entire year.  But when a gameplan is laid out for you- i.e. Throw the ball vs. TB and run vs. Carolina- and you veer away from that by running heavy sets against TB and passing more and running Lewis vs Carolina, then you better be right.  If not, you're going to have to answer questions like, "Why did Henry have 2 carries in the first half?"  It felt like we only sustained a drive during the past two games when we started doing what we should have from the beginning.

I think we learned that you shouldn't say shit about being great or set any expectations unless you have a QB.  Either an elite QB or a staff which can get them to play like one.  Without that, there is no reason to expect to win more than 9 games.

It's going to be interesting to see how Vrabel handles the good to great line in 2020.  The standard doesn't change just because a page turns on the calendar and PK isn't going to let this go.  Vrabel made a major PR mistake by raising expectations beyond what was realistic.

12 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Turron Davenport straight up asked Vrabel how much involvement he has in the offensive game planning today at the press conference, Vrabel confirmed he is heavily involved in the offensive game plans.

As many here feared Vrabel simply has his hands all over this offense and his conservative philosophy is a big problem.

It's the whole complimentary football thing, which actually is important. And that's sometimes how teams with great offenses end up sucking - lack of complimentary football. 

The problem is that its not just an overall philosophy thing with Vrabel like him telling the OC "Hey make sure you keep up TOP and run the ball a good amount in this game,don't gas the defense", he's involved down to the individual plays and specific game planning. He actually helped design that Wildcat package last year and actually came up with the Stocker goal line play vs the Texans. 

There is no way in hell that a big time OC would agree to come here and have to be under Vrabel's thumb in such a micromanaging way. 

I think people are reading way too much into this.  Of course, Vrabel's going to be involved in the game plan for offense, defense, and ST.  He's the Head Coach.  Ultimately, he's responsible.  I'm sure he's involved with Pees and the ST coach too.

Honestly, yesterday seemed to be way more self inflicted execution issues than poor game planning or play calls.  They had 14 plays in the first half when one would normally expect double that.  One drive was completely derailed by penalties and another one was abruptly cut short with Brown's drop that tipped over to Carolina.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

they have improved both sides of the ball...it's not like they ignored the defense in an effort to focus on the offense....and as far as coaching goes they brought in an unqualified OC to supposedly continue with what MLF had started...keeping it consistent but it seems to me that didn't happen.

I just don't think they really cared about Mariota nor do I think they thought there was really a chance that he would be here after this year.

I'm not saying this to defend Mariota...I just think that if he was truly the focus then Mularkey would probably still have a job here.

firing Mularkey and hiring a defensive minded coach was not intended to help Mariota.  Hiring MLF was probably intended to help Mariota and he left.  Arthur Smith in my mind is still just a temporary hire till they get there new QB.  Who knows...maybe he works out and they can keep him but more than likely they are starting over with a new QB and OC next year.  The idea he was here to provide consistency for Mariota was just a spin job IMO.

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

For all we know AAS may have said "give Marcus time," which would get them off the hook for his failure. I don't know if that is true or not but it's possible.

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Turron Davenport straight up asked Vrabel how much involvement he has in the offensive game planning today at the press conference, Vrabel confirmed he is heavily involved in the offensive game plans.

As many here feared Vrabel simply has his hands all over this offense and his conservative philosophy is a big problem.

Not saying im right, but this feeds into my assumption that art isnt as totally shit as it seems. Because the offense seems 2 get better as every game goes on. Meaning its the starting plan that is worse than the ingame alterations.

Still not saying art is good, but the evidence is leading 2 him atlest not being the whole or main problem.

1 hour ago, bizzyeddie said:

they have improved both sides of the ball...it's not like they ignored the defense in an effort to focus on the offense....and as far as coaching goes they brought in an unqualified OC to supposedly continue with what MLF had started...keeping it consistent but it seems to me that didn't happen.

I just don't think they really cared about Mariota nor do I think they thought there was really a chance that he would be here after this year.

I'm not saying this to defend Mariota...I just think that if he was truly the focus then Mularkey would probably still have a job here.

firing Mularkey and hiring a defensive minded coach was not intended to help Mariota.  Hiring MLF was probably intended to help Mariota and he left.  Arthur Smith in my mind is still just a temporary hire till they get there new QB.  Who knows...maybe he works out and they can keep him but more than likely they are starting over with a new QB and OC next year.  The idea he was here to provide consistency for Mariota was just a spin job IMO.

Firing Mularkey and in turn Robiskie was absolutely done with Mariota in mind as he sucked in 2017.  Vrabel wanted Ryan Day as his OC.  That screams Mariota friendly (although it wouldn't have worked).  Add the Smith hire, which sure looked like a Mariota friendly hire.

There's more evidence to suggest the team was banking on Mariota seizing the opportunity this year (hence 6 games of subpar play) than not.  If they were truly ambivalent about MM, there's no reason a true QB competition wasn't held and we know how that would have gone.

33 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Firing Mularkey and in turn Robiskie was absolutely done with Mariota in mind as he sucked in 2017.  Vrabel wanted Ryan Day as his OC.  That screams Mariota friendly (although it wouldn't have worked).  Add the Smith hire, which sure looked like a Mariota friendly hire.

There's more evidence to suggest the team was banking on Mariota seizing the opportunity this year (hence 6 games of subpar play) than not.  If they were truly ambivalent about MM, there's no reason a true QB competition wasn't held and we know how that would have gone.

If they were truly banking on Mariota to turn things around and play well they are incompetent buffoons