Sign in to follow this  
nine

Third downs vs. Buffalo

In the loss to Buffalo, the Titans' performance on third down (or lack thereof) largely defined the entire game for them.   Almost every noteworthy play on offense came  on third down.

Q1

3rd & 12 - TEN 23:   Pass completed to D.Walker for 10 yards.  Punt.

3rd & 3 - TEN 27:   Pass dropped by A.Humphries.  Punt.

3rd & 7 - BUF 24:    Mariota sacked for -8 yards.   (2.8 seconds).   4th down:  Missed FG #1

Q2

3rd & 11 - TEN 9:   Mariota sacked for -8 yards  (1.9 sec)   Punt.

3rd & 8 - TEN 14:   Mariota sacked for -10 yards (2.8 sec)   Punt.

3rd & 15 - BUF 18:   checkdown pass to D.Lewis is dropped.   4th down: Missed FG #2

Q3

3rd & 3 - TEN 20:   pass dropped by D. Lewis.   Punt.

3rd & 6 - BUF 34:   pass completed to A.Humphries for 9 yards.   First down.

3rd & 1 - BUF 1:   Derrick Henry 1-yard TD run

3rd & 4 - BUF 15:   False start on N.Davis...no play.

Q4

3rd & 9 - BUF 20:   Pass to Tajae Sharpe for 12 yards.  First down.

3rd & 6 - BUF 6:   False Start - T.Lewan.  No play.

3rd & 11 - BUF 11:   TD pass to AJB is ruled an illegal fwd pass.   4th down:  missed FG#3

3rd & 1 - TEN 34:   D.Henry run for 10 yards.  First down.

3rd & 4 - BUF 35:   Pass is dropped by D.Walker.   4th down - missed FG#4

3rd & 5 - TEN 25:   Incomplete to A.Humphries;  pass was deflected by T.Edmunds.   Punt.

Game over.

There were three drops on 3rd downs that would have netted first downs.  Yeah, a couple were fairly tough catches but come on, they have to be made.  

This game was not the finest hour for the Titans and mistakes.  

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

There were three drops on 3rd downs that would have netted first downs.  Yeah, a couple were fairly tough catches but come on, they have to be made.  

Mistakes would call it its finest hour. 

14 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

This was definitely a weird game. So many opportunities. 

I should be more upset but if I’m being realistic, I wouldn’t expect this team to do anything if they snuck in the playoffs anyway. Quickly starting to feel like a wasted year. 

Ah ... welcome.

Watching people talk about missed field goals or dropped passes or third down plays just feels like a big fat waste of time.

Our QB is average at best, all this comes up because of that. And it'll keep coming up. It starts there. 

The chances of us going anywhere are slim.

Edited by big2033

17 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

This was definitely a weird game. So many opportunities. 

I should be more upset but if I’m being realistic, I wouldn’t expect this team to do anything if they snuck in the playoffs anyway. Quickly starting to feel like a wasted year. 

I'm conflicted here.  I really don't want to be rooting for losses (aka draft positioning) this early in the season.  But the upside of this team is just so limited and they play a really boring, sleep inducing brand of football as well.

6 minutes ago, RasKass said:

We brought Humpheries in here specifically to help move the chains. We struggled with 3rd down conversions for years. We brought a guy in here who was extremely good at that and he hasn't done crap. I been saying it all year. Dudes been a colossal bust for us. Somebody said with Lewan back some how that was going to help Humpheries 😂😂😂(Whatever that correlation is lol). We are worse at converting this year than we were the past 2 years without Humpheries Lol.

I think the correlation was that Humphries wouldn’t be helping chip edge rushers for Lewan like he had to for Kelly. 

6 hours ago, scine09 said:

Also the 3rd down sack that led to the first missed FG should have been a first down due to the defender facemasking Mariota mid sack. 

7 hours ago, scine09 said:

Ask yourself - why do 3 diff receivers drop his passes? Because he throws a shit ball with no steam on it. 

7 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Ask yourself - why do 3 diff receivers drop his passes? Because he throws a shit ball with no steam on it. 

I couldn’t help but wonder the same thing.

29 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

The penalty would have helped, but Mariota was going down either way.

Yes he was getting sacked regardless. But there WAS a 15 yard penalty on the defender that wasn’t called. Would have been a 1st down near the RZ. 

26 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

This is silly. One of his best traits is the fact he throws a catchable ball. It’s been stated his whole career. Also throwing the ball with more zip makes it harder to catch. You obviously never played wr.

4 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Yes he was getting sacked regardless. But there WAS a 15 yard penalty on the defender that wasn’t called. Would have been a 1st down near the RZ. 

This is silly. One of his best traits is the fact he throws a catchable ball. It’s been stated his whole career. Also throwing the ball with more zip makes it harder to catch. You obviously never played wr.

You either. That's a moronic statement. You think an NFL receiver can't catch a ball with heat on it? Not only can they catch it but they prefer it. The longer a ball takes to get there the closer defenders can close in for a hit. You throw a slant to Humphries between two defenders it not only needs speed but placement in his gut to protect the ball. Little nuances that escape Mariota. 

Edited by JoelinBellevue

22 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

You either. That's a moronic statement. You think an NFL receiver can't catch a ball with heat on it? Not only can they catch it but they prefer it. The longer a ball takes to get there the closer defenders can close in for a hit. You throw a slant to Humphries between two defenders it not only needs speed but placement in his gut to protect the ball. Little nuances that escape Mariota. 

Kyle played college ball as a TE. 

Regardless, if you don’t understand things thrown faster are harder to catch, then you really shouldn’t be discussing any sports