Can Marcus Read?

Denali

Can Marcus Read?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How well can Mariota read a defense?

• A+ (He's awesome)
    • A (Very good)
    • B (Good)
    • C (Average)
    • D (Poor)
    • F (Bad)
    • Z (He's illiterate)

The ball was coming out Sunday.  I think they used the practice horn a lot more.  Throw it to your read or throw it away.  Looking  @@nine film, you can see it.   These are the plays we have been talking about that have been there all along.  He's throwing the ball instead of waiting until the dbs with world class speed start closing.  The pass to AJB before would have been right where he turned away from the defense.  TD would have been no catch.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once had a quarterback who couldnt read enough to score over a 16 on his wonderlic.... the old basterd made me draft him anyway.

Oh stfu you know our line is bad. Go look at the pockets high tier QB's have. Marcus doesn't really have a pocket. He's got 1.5 secs if he's lucky. If a team stunts or sends pressure up the middle, he

But that’s the thing.  Reading defenses is done pre-snap.  He should know what the first two options are based on the defense and situation.  The thing in the booth nowadays with Tony Romo being aroun

When he's decisive and playing with confidence,he's good. He calls a lot audibles. Sunday will be a good test against the Bills D. Buffalo has probably been watching tape of the Jax game all week.

10 minutes ago, RasKass said:

Mariotas problem has been playing with mediocre talent in the past and playing in a different system every year he has been in the league.

I have no doubt that this had a negative influence on his past development...and I was optimistic that Marcus would be noticeably better this year with upgraded talent and coaching stability.  

He looked very good last week..but we saw way too much of the “same old-same old” in the games leading up to that.     We’ve documented numerous plays where Marcus has protection and was staring at an open receiver but refused to throw it...and eventually took a sack instead.   Those plays are 100% on him...everyone else did their jobs.

Being good half the time isn’t enough...and the organization no longer has time to wait around to see if he improves.  Nobody is asking him to work miracles;  he just has to do his job when everyone else does theirs.   He did a very good job last week ....but he’s gotta show that he can do it every week.   Only doing it half the time ain’t gonna cut it.

Anyone notice that he’s been doing the McVay/Goff thing with Art this year. He runs up to the line like it’s a hurry up and then (I’m assuming here) talks with Art for half a sec and makes pre snap adjustments with the line.

I think it’s really cool that Art continued with that piece of McVay’s coaching scheme along with some stuff from Mularkey and Munchak. He’s really gonna be a jack of all trades OC. He doesn’t have a “signature scheme.” Adaptability is a good thing for coaches.

2 hours ago, Thrill said:

Anyone notice that he’s been doing the McVay/Goff thing with Art this year. He runs up to the line like it’s a hurry up and then (I’m assuming here) talks with Art for half a sec and makes pre snap adjustments with the line.

I think it’s really cool that Art continued with that piece of McVay’s coaching scheme along with some stuff from Mularkey and Munchak. He’s really gonna be a jack of all trades OC. He doesn’t have a “signature scheme.” Adaptability is a good thing for coaches.

It would be smart if they were doing that but I assume this is speculation. 

I'm sure he's done multiple reads on successful plays before, but you wouldn't want to design an offense around him that asks him to do that regularly. Or at least you couldn't expect a lot of success if your offense is not designing successful first reads against the defense at the time (which is where the inconsistency probably stems from a lot of the time).

On 10/3/2019 at 4:42 PM, Righteous said:

Marcus’ football IQ is about as poor as I’ve seen in a QB.

22 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

He's a one read QB

The Bills game will tell the story.  The Bills are going to shut down the first read, then we see how fast he can find another target.  

I can't help but believe that the Bills game will be major in the perception of whether he is capable of consistently good play.  If he is able to effectively avoid the DL rush, avoid turnovers, and select receivers with good throws who are in the process of gaining separation, then the confidence of fans and the coaching staff will surge.  To say nothing about the effect on his fellow teammates.  

We will see.  40-60 chance imo.

pro

11 hours ago, Number9 said:

The Bills game will tell the story.  The Bills are going to shut down the first read, then we see how fast he can find another target.  

We've got 5 years to see the story, we already know