Marcus Mariota - week 4

nine

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t necessarily blame Lewis for those screens....but the fact is, the manner in which he’s used is extremely predictable.     Just putting Lewis on the field tells the defense they’re throwing the

Coaches' film of all of Mariota's dropbacks vs Falcons in week 4.   First Half   Second Half  

This is a treasure trove. Thank you.   - We lost a lot of plays to designed roll-outs, screens and other things I'm hoping we only tried to aid our left side. We did a lot of chipping and a

4 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

Wtf was up with those screen plays? They literally got blown up instantly every single time.

People were trying to blame Dion Lewis but there was absolutely nothing he could have done.

I think they need to stop running them, at least for one game, to prevent teams from guessing that they're going to run a screen.

Some observations - watched first half only since the second half game plan was burn clock mode.

A lot of spread formations on passing downs for TN, very few condensed looks (thankfully).  

This took extra defenders out of the box (despite all the narrative that MM was completing passes against stacked boxes); I believe I counted only 3 out of 14 or so with more than 7 defenders in the box.  MM was getting the ball out quickly to WR in space.

The first TD to AJB was condensed though, TN had an extra OL plus TE at the line, plus a FB, so ATL countered with 9 in the box.  AJB beat his man and the safety made a terrible play.

2Q was by far MM's best stretch of the year in terms of decisions, manipulating the pocket and accuracy.  The play where Davis dropped it on 3rd and 3 was a beauty, and an unfortunate drop.

As wide as ATL was playing their ends, no idea why they kept trying the boot or rollout action. Easy play for the defenders.

Surprised ATL didnt try to send more pressure up the middle.  Guess they thought they could get home with their front 4, and they did get some pressure, mainly because our interior OL sucks, but with all the success others have had sending guys up the middle... very surprising.

Will be interesting to see if we can spread it out a bit against Buffalo and if our WR's can get open and the QB can make quick decisions with accuracy.  That was the key in this game, is it sustainable?

41 minutes ago, INTitan said:

Will be interesting to see if we can spread it out a bit against Buffalo and if our WR's can get open and the QB can make quick decisions with accuracy.  That was the key in this game, is it sustainable?

Brady was  getting the ball out in 2.5sec and still getting hit right after he realized the ball, no foul.  We need a plan, I don't know if Mariota can get hit like that and not get rattled.

15 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Brady was  getting the ball out in 2.5sec and still getting hit right after he realized the ball, no foul.  We need a plan, I don't know if Mariota can get hit like that and not get rattled.

Yikes.  Which means TN will probably go max protect, condensed formations and make it messy in the pocket.  We've seen that shit show enough.

There were several plays where Mariota got the ball out in  1.8-2.0 seconds.  These give the pass rush zero chance of getting there....but those plays were virtually nonexistent in weeks 1-3.     Hopefully Art Smith starts dialing them up more frequently and puts the onus on Marcus to execute them.   (Which he obviously did very well last week.)

There were also a few plays where Marcus saw/felt pressure coming and knew he was gonna get hit....but instead of ducking or trying to run, he stood in there, made the throw, and took the hit.   Those plays and the throws he made with anticipation or to receivers who weren't necessarily wide open were my two biggest takeaways from that game and the biggest reasons for optimism.  We weren't seeing those plays a couple weeks ago.

But I also know he's had great games before where he put it all together and appeared to have turned a corner....only to fall back into old habits the following week.     I'm not buying back in until he shows he can string together 3-4 steady, solid games in a row.   I'm not falling for the old "banana-in-the-tailpipe" trick again.

1 hour ago, nine said:

There were several plays where Mariota got the ball out in  1.8-2.0 seconds.  These give the pass rush zero chance of getting there....but those plays were virtually nonexistent in weeks 1-3.     Hopefully Art Smith starts dialing them up more frequently and puts the onus on Marcus to execute them.   (Which he obviously did very well last week.)

There were also a few plays where Marcus saw the pressure coming and knew he was gonna get hit....but he stood in there and made the throw anyway.   Those plays and the throws he made with anticipation or to receivers who weren't necessarily wide open were my two biggest takeaways from that game and the biggest reasons for optimism.

But I also know we've seen games before where he put it all together and appeared to have turned a corner....only to fall back into old habits the following week.     I'm not buying back in until he shows he can string together 3-4 steady, solid games in a row.   I'm not falling for the old "banana-in-the-tailpipe" trick again.

You’re totally right. It all but confirms my take from a few months ago that he needs a sports psychologist. He’s clearly got all the tools and occasionally puts them together. It’s all mental for him at this point.

2 hours ago, nine said:

There were also a few plays where Marcus saw/felt pressure coming and knew he was gonna get hit....but instead of ducking or trying to run, he stood in there, made the throw, and took the hit.   Those plays and the throws he made with anticipation or to receivers who weren't necessarily wide open were my two biggest takeaways from that game and the biggest reasons for optimism.  We weren't seeing those plays a couple weeks ago.

But I also know he's had great games before where he put it all together and appeared to have turned a corner....only to fall back into old habits the following week.     I'm not buying back in until he shows he can string together 3-4 steady, solid games in a row.   I'm not falling for the old "banana-in-the-tailpipe" trick again.

I haven't reviewed your all-22, but I noticed the same thing about the ball coming out during the game.  It looked like they have been using the horn during practice to help him have that internal clock.  "HONK"  The only problem I see with my theory is that's just basic football.  It should start in his rookie year and be ingrained by his second season.  Obviously something has gone wrong.  He showed he's capable of throwing the ball in less that 3 sec and throwing it away if he can't make a play.  Why was he not doing it game one?

Next, we have to see what happens when they face a team with a good defense, Buffalo.   What happens when teams start to take that quick strike away?  If he is making reads he will still be able to get the ball out, if they a schemed it will be tougher.  We'll also get to see if Fred Smith can shift gears.

8 hours ago, Number9 said:

I haven't reviewed your all-22, but I noticed the same thing about the ball coming out during the game.  It looked like they have been using the horn during practice to help him have that internal clock.  "HONK"  The only problem I see with my theory is that's just basic football.  It should start in his rookie year and be ingrained by his second season.  Obviously something has gone wrong.  He showed he's capable of throwing the ball in less that 3 sec and throwing it away if he can't make a play.  Why was he not doing it game one?

Next, we have to see what happens when they face a team with a good defense, Buffalo.   What happens when teams start to take that quick strike away?  If he is making reads he will still be able to get the ball out, if they a schemed it will be tougher.  We'll also get to see if Fred Smith can shift gears.

it doesnt even seem like it was as complicated a that. sure, they probably told him to do whatever he could to throw it away.. but most throwaways were on rollouts and he was doing that before too. 

the obvious answer to me is that it was more of a spread them out, quick-passing gameplan  instead of max protecting and sending two guys out whose routes took forever to develop....and one of the routes often being a rookie in brown who has been mentioned he is running routes to the wrong spots a few times (his snaps have been limited more than fans want).. we cant max protect well, so the guys never get open unless the timing is perfect or the QB breaks out of the pocket to make a play. 

give the QB options and a better view of what the defense is doing and you'll get better results. this is what people have been asking for since Wiz left. when we do it, it works. but we always go back to the same antiquated offenses and then look bad again unless we get a perfect storm type of game.