Historically bad call from Vrabel

terradawg

Just now, Soxcat said:

I was far more upset about the lame call than the decision.  We should get the 1st there and finish off the game.  Hopefully when Lewan comes back we will have a left side we can run behind on critical plays.  That is why we pay Lewan all that money.  

Agreed, play call was bad. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was getting ready to make a thread for this. Win or lose, he deserves to be roasted big time for it. The score was 24-10. A FG makes it 27-10, so 17 pt lead and 3-score game. A TD would've made it 31-

You always kick the field goal and go up three scores. He may have cost us the playoffs last year going for 2 in London. If Atlanta comes back it’s on him 100%. 

There is no logical reasoning, none. If you have faith in your defense then getting up 3 scores makes more sense.    In terms of risk reward it's really as stupid as any decision you will ev

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

I was far more upset about the lame call than the decision.  We should get the 1st there and finish off the game.  Hopefully when Lewan comes back we will have a left side we can run behind on critical plays.  That is why we pay Lewan all that money.  

Even with Lewan Kick the field goal

18 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Are you even reading what I'm saying? It might not be a bigger risk to go for it than kick the field goal! Vrabel isn't an idiot, I'm sure he's done his research on these things

We were fortunate 

the falcons score 14 all the time in the 4 th quarter 

Historically bad = Pete Carrol having Russell Wilson throw it from the 1 instead of handing off to Lynch in the Super Bowl.  Going for it yesterday was just bad.  In that situation you always take the points.  Always. 

That being said, I do think Vrabel learns from mistakes and isn't a 100% meathead.  He just has meathead tendencies.  I would much rather have Vrabel at this point in his coaching career than field goal Fisher.  Am I right?

There are no geniuses in football.  A FG or a TD and the Falcons would have needed to score three times against our defense to win.  I don't even look at football in terms of score, rather possessions.  That was as dumb of a decision as you will ever see.  He needs some people around him to tell him that.  I wonder what his Wonderlic score was! 

32 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

He tried to stand by it yesterday, but at least he walked it back today. 

Good thing -- Vrabel's not going to continuously defend the indefensible 

Bad thing -- shows he gets caught up in the the moment and tends to 'push the red button' of badassery rather than rely on thoughtful decision-making.

Edited by begooode

It was an ill-advised coaching decision that fortunately didn't hurt the team or impact the outcome of the game...and Vrabel has acknowledged it was a mistake.    I'll give anyone a pass for a mistake as long as they acknowledge it and don't repeat it.

But that's just part of having an aggressive-minded coach....sometimes he'll take risks that maybe aren't the best idea.    I think Vrabel has done an excellent job of maintaining a good balance between aggressive and conservative....but there will be times when he'll overstep one way or the other.    As long as he learns from it and doesn't keep making the same dumb decisions over and over, I'm good with it.

9 hours ago, Supdawg said:

however, I wasn't upset we didn't. 

That's only because they ended up winning the game. What happened after the play has no bearing on judging the decision.