Mike Herndon's all 22 review

OILERMAN

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep.  There's no recovering from a 1-2 start.    Time to pull the plug on the season and start offloading the team's most proven, dependable leaders.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/10/2/20893397/all-22-review-marcus-mariota-and-the-titans-offense-roar-to-life-in-atlanta   No thread for this weeks All-22, surprise!

Scotty, we’ve talked about Jonnu in the past. Kid will be a stud & needs more snaps. I’d be open to trading Walker for some draft capital. 

TE’s are a really interesting position group because they seem to take a few years to catch on but are able to play late into their 30s. For example, Jared Cook and Benjamin Watson are still really productive players. Delanie is a good example too of a late bloomer at the position.

I think Jonnu is about to enter the phase of the game where it really slows down for him and he’s able to put up some big numbers. I’d rather not get rid of Delanie but if we continue to flail like we have so far, I’d do it just for draft ammunition in the event we trade up for a qb.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's Herndon's full breakdown of the All-22 Titans/Jags coaches' film.    His thoughts mirror my own....Mike just does a much better job of explaining what we're seeing.   It's an excellent and informative write-up of a poor, inconsistent offensive performance.

• Analysis of all nine sacks to identify what happened on each play.
  • Breaks down plays where Mariota had open receivers available but hesitated and took a sack.
  • Shows plays where Marcus made sharp throws to receivers who weren't necessarily wide open.  (We need more of these).
  • Illustrates the abysmal performances of Saffold and Douglas.
  • Identifies several big-play and/or touchdown opportunities that failed due to poor execution
  • Also shows several chunk plays that worked well despite terrible O-line play.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/9/27/20881556/all-22-review-titans-offense-continues-to-look-like-a-mess-in-jacksonville

Mariota hits the top of his drop and senses the edge rushers coming around, but he has a clean pocket to step up into. He climbs in the pocket, but doesn’t cut the crosser to Brown loose for some reason, eventually running into a sack. Brown is wide open by NFL standards and this should be an easy completion for 20-plus yards instead of a 2-yard loss. Mariota simply has to make this throw.

My opinion is that the fault breakdown should be as follows:

Mariota: 4.5 sacks (Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7, and half of ?

Saffold: 2 sacks (Nos. 2 and 9)

Douglas: 1 sack (No. 3)

Conklin: 0.5 sacks (half of No. ?

Nobody: 1 sack (No. 1)

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Mariota hits the top of his drop and senses the edge rushers coming around, but he has a clean pocket to step up into. He climbs in the pocket, but doesn’t cut the crosser to Brown loose for some reason, eventually running into a sack. Brown is wide open by NFL standards and this should be an easy completion for 20-plus yards instead of a 2-yard loss. Mariota simply has to make this throw.

My opinion is that the fault breakdown should be as follows:

Mariota: 4.5 sacks (Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7, and half of ?

Saffold: 2 sacks (Nos. 2 and 9)

Douglas: 1 sack (No. 3)

Conklin: 0.5 sacks (half of No. ?

Nobody: 1 sack (No. 1)

Nobody = Arthur Smith? Hah. 

Havent had a chance to read the breakdown. 

And yeah - how many times have we heard this exact same sequence with Marcus. 

19 minutes ago, tgo said:

Nobody = Arthur Smith? Hah. 

Havent had a chance to read the breakdown. 

And yeah - how many times have we heard this exact same sequence with Marcus. 

Yes this isn’t new.  What is new is folks like Herndon objectively explaining Mariota’s culpability.  In the past, he would try to excuse Mariota’s errors away.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

Yes this isn’t new.  What is new is folks like Herndon objectively explaining Mariota’s culpability.  In the past, he would try to excuse Mariota’s errors away.

I laughed at some of these people yesterday, Mike, bashing trump supporters