NFL dropping 18 game proposal... for 17 game schedule?

NashvilleNinja

Just now, 8MM said:

Corporate America trying to squeeze every ounce of blood from the "workers".  NFLPA should sue these owners.

Another joke is Thursday games.  If they truly cared for the players, only teams coming off a bye can play it.

Thursday Night games are low in quality. Its been a mess for years

8 hours ago, 8MM said:

Another joke is Thursday games.  If they truly cared for the players, only teams coming off a bye can play it.

Most of the TNF games are kind of bad and snoozefests.  Plus the 2 games in 4 days is not good for the health of any player (aside from maybe P or K).

I think adding a 2nd bye, dropping the preseason to two games, adding the 17th game and expanding the playoffs to 14 teams (to give the #1 seed an even bigger advantage while keeping more timed alive late in the season) would be a great idea.  And the 17th game could either be a neutral site game for all teams or hosted exclusively by one conference.  What I mean by that is one year the AFC hosts 9 games and plays 8 away and the next year the NFC teams get to host 9 games with 8 away.  That keeps things equal for all teams in conference.  It also would expand the season to 19 weeks, which would make the Super Bowl the day before Presidents' Day.

The one thing I don't like are the yearly rivalry games.  If they're going to go 8 home games, 8 away games and 1 neutral site game then I'd say stay in conference since you're ultimately battling for the playoffs against conference teams and play one of the 6 teams not on the schedule.  The 1st place team would play one of the other 4th place teams, 2nd place teams against one of the other 3rd place teams, etc, to continue to balance the schedule (since the 1st place team is already playing the other 1st place teams, you'd balance it with 4th place).  So the Titans this year would play either Miami or Pittsburgh.  And if it's going to be 9 home/8 away or vice versa then play one of the teams in one of the other divisions in the other conference that you didn't face.  For example, this year the Titans would play the extra game against San Francisco.  3rd place against 3rd place (since, unlike within conference, the teams don't play other teams that finished with a like result so you can continue to have them play the team with the same standing) in the division that you played 2 years ago and won't play for another 2 years.

If you're going to have the rivalry game then you put certain teams at a disadvantage because they have to play the same top team every year.  I'd assume Philly would have to play the Patriots while the Giants would play the Jets.  One of the great things about the NFL schedule is how mostly equal the opponents are for all division teams.  That would seem to skew it toward the franchise with the weaker rival.  

Archived