5 minutes ago, TeamRamrod said:

I’m not defending him as a prospect. Haven’t “studied” him a lot yet. I just think he has some intriguing tools. I was legitimately curious to hear your take, but uh..I don’t think of him as a runner.

796AA06B-167D-43CA-AFFD-647008098CBB.jpeg

I'm not making definitive statements here to be clear and I haven't watched enough of these guys to have what I would call an "informed" opinion on them.  It's just my take so far, which will change for sure.

Having said that, it's hard to watch him and not think of him as a runner, regardless of the numbers.  He relies on his athleticism to buy time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  My main point wasn't that they use him as a running back.  Burrow falls more in that category, but rather that they manufacture the passing game based on his athletic ability more than by him just dropping back and carving up defenses, similar to what they did with MM at Oregon.  I'm not saying it won't translate to the NFL, but I have some big question marks.  

Just my two cents.  

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Love is exciting but I don't think his skill set translates very well to the next level.  It should definitely be a fun college game to watch though.  

Sounds familiar.

3 hours ago, TeamRamrod said:

What aspect of his game do you think doesn’t translate?

Well, for starters, his wide receivers are going against 2nd rate corners this year. These guys are wide open or screens. Seems like being able to throw it to an open receiver is just a prerequisite for being a QB in college, right?

1 minute ago, SleepingTitan said:

Well, for starters, his wide receivers are going against 2nd rate corners this year. These guys are wide open or screens. Seems like being able to throw it to an open receiver is just a prerequisite for being a QB in college, right?

He has trouble reading coverage in college and throws a too many risky balls.  That rarely works out at the next level.  He makes a bunch of wow plays but I worry that he'll be a turnover machine in the NFL.  He also gets a lot of help from the sideline which is another red flag imo.  Lastly, he hangs around in the pocket far too long waiting for the big play.  

There's a lot of positives to like but I don't think he's a first round prospect from what I've seen thus far.  

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

He has trouble reading coverage in college and throws a too many risky balls.  That rarely works out at the next level.  He makes a bunch of wow plays but I worry that he'll be a turnover machine in the NFL.  He also gets a lot of help from the sideline which is another red flag imo.  Lastly, he hangs around in the pocket far too long waiting for the big play.  

There's a lot of positives to like but I don't think he's a first round prospect from what I've seen thus far.  

Yeah pretty much Mariota summed up coming out of college too. His receivers were always open. Mariota's playoff success, character, etc put him above the criticism though. As we've seen, you really can't overcome shortcomings in the NFL. You can either prove scouts wrong or right though...

Burrow has been praised for the improvements he has made and time put in becoming a better pocket QB. Watch how well he processes the field and you quickly see why he is shooting up boards. He processes well (and quickly), throws guys open, and has a sufficient arm velocity.

3 hours ago, TeamRamrod said:

I’m not defending him as a prospect. Haven’t “studied” him a lot yet. I just think he has some intriguing tools. I was legitimately curious to hear your take, but uh..I don’t think of him as a runner.

796AA06B-167D-43CA-AFFD-647008098CBB.jpeg

Do you have to ask why he assumed he was a runner?

5 hours ago, Justafan said:

He's got all the traits that you like.  He's fast, has a big arm and he's fairly accurate.

When I watch him play though, he's a runner who can pass and not a natural passer who can run.  I'm not closing the door on him but when I look at QBs trying to evaluate play, I'm looking for how they maneuver the pocket, deal with the rush, throw into tight windows, and how good their decision making is when harassed.

His Wake Forest game really highlighted some of his weaknesses to me if you need an example.  Again, perceptions will change moving forward but he's off my radar for now.  

This part sounds like it could describe Mariota.

Haven't watched Love play a lot so I'll have to catch up.  On Burrow, if he keeps this up, there is no way he's going to be within range for us and we'll have to trade up.  I'm scared at the prospect of picking Herbert.

Just now, rns90 said:

This part sounds like it could describe Mariota.

Haven't watched Love play a lot so I'll have to catch up.  On Burrow, if he keeps this up, there is no way he's going to be within range for us and we'll have to trade up.  I'm scared at the prospect of picking Herbert.

He's a different athlete than Mariota but how they use his athleticism to set up the passing game is similar.  

7 hours ago, DecepticonShawn said:

Im really waiting for next saturday lsu and utah state head to head. Love vs Burrow is gonna be good.

This is the game the scouting community circled preseason to see Love go up against superior competition.

Fully expect LSU to slaughter Utah St given the massive talent differential but it will be interesting to see how Love goes.