Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Solving the QB Situation

1 hour ago, ctm said:

I'm not in favor of a 2nd tier rookie, much less a developmental guy.

I'm also not in favor of spending big money on an established vet like Rivers or Stafford.

I'm in favor of drafting the best rookie we can get can get and if that mean trading up (within reason), then so be it.

I agree with one ahem...our last three rookie qbs were top 10 and not considered 2nd tier.  That didn't work out so well.  Jrob gonna get his shot though.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, Tex in a Can said:

Depending on where we draft, we may well have to give up a future 1 or more to get our guy.

This business sucks. You have to spend a high draft pick on a possible bust and on top of that pay them millions and invest years to try and develop. No place on earth pays for potential like the NFL.  Mariota should give back $15 mill for stinking up the place.

Edited by JoelinBellevue

9 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

This business sucks. You have to spend a high draft pick on a possible bust and on top.of that pay them nillions and invest years to try and develop. No place on earth pays for potential like the NFL.  Mariota should give back $15 mill for stinking up the place.

You must not be an NBA fan

Yeah people acting like tannehill wouldn’t be a starter right now if he was a free agent this past offseason lol. 

This is the same team that offered Munchak and Mularkey extensions. Franchise still seems 100% behind him, Vrabel hasn't said anything about Tannehill, so it'll be a shock if Tannehill gets any playing time in the next couple weeks. All Mariota does is need to play mediocre, since the franchise always tries to extend mediocrity (Munchak and Mularkey). 

What would the going rate be for someone like Stafford, Ben, or Rivers.

I think Stafford could possibly be worth 2 first rounds picks and maybe a combination of second and third round picks.

Rivers and Ben would probably fetch 2 1sts if they’re committed to playing for a few more years. I highly doubt we go that route unless one of those guys goes full on Antonio Brown and kills their market.

21 hours ago, headhunter said:

1. Bench Mariota

2. Start Tannehill

3. Resign Tannehill

4. Draft a QB high

5.  Draft more QB's every year until someone proves they are a long term solution.

I'm not trading 1st round picks for QBs who are being benched or let go because their former teams feel a rookie/young QB is the better option. 

Tannehill + rookie QB is probably the current path, but we don't really know yet. Tannehill needs to play right now. Get him time, get him starts in this offense, and see how he does. If he bombs, we have our answer -- and likely are in closer range to drafting the QBOF (or at least the next attempt). If he does well, we'll be out of range of one of the better QB prospects, but it will mean Tannehill is a viable option to win right now with the current roster. In that scenario, you re-sign him and draft a developmental guy while continuing to invest in a better roster. 

While a guy like Stafford could be intriguing if Tannehill is horrible, it's hard to imagine us going after him (or other FA QBs), because we'll already be picking high in the draft.

14 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Knowing they're going to keep trotting Mariota out there just makes me dread the games each week. Complete waste of time.

The only silver lining is that I think Vrabel feels the same way. I think he and JRob are just buying time for Amy to give them the go ahead. Or maybe Vrabes is waiting for JRob to give him the go ahead. Vrabel has had no problem benching people since he’s been here (Henry, Spain, Butler, etc.)

As stated by OMan Tannehill's best option is to stay in TN if he is successful in our offense (obviously if he flops he is not an option).  About as good of a team around him as he is going to find that would sign him.  

The whole point of drafting a QB is to not waste a pick just to have one.  We literally should not have touched a QB in round one the year we drafted Locker.  And we didn't have to trade up to get him.  So I'm for letting the draft come to us or maybe drafting a guy a little later with promise.  That means Tannehill can still be the starter as long as he produces because we don't have a guy we have to get out there early.  Remember when we drafted Locker that Dalton and Kap went in the 2nd round.  If they like someone later in the first or early 2nd maybe work a deal for that guy.  Not in favor of using picks on a older guy (Rivers, Manning) or on someone who might bust and destroy the franchise for another decade.  

Oh, and Eli is not half the QB his brother was so I wouldn't give up much for him.  If he is cheap and we can fit him under the CAP it might be worth a try assuming Tannehill isn't a short term answer.  

Edited by Soxcat

44 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Knowing they're going to keep trotting Mariota out there just makes me dread the games each week. Complete waste of time.

Is it bad that I sort of want him to get injured so I don't have to watch him play?