Mariota Week 17 Theory (Just my opinion)

BudsOilers

1 minute ago, Denali said:

So with the playoffs on the line, Mariota decided "Fuck you. I'm not playing"?

Nope, not buying it.  That is not how he rolls.

Well that's not in dispute, he def pulled out of the game. 

It's one of the things that cracks me up about the way the guy is treated. 

Mariota practices 2 days, decides he's not playing and then gets treated as if he's some kind of warrior who proved he could play hurt.

He missed the fucking game with the playoffs on the line and that proves he's some tough guy!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BudAdams already told me this theory and I think it has merit. We'll never know but a few points.    Mariota practiced a few days and the team thought he was playing that week. He suddenly w

Many have noted that Mariota has a different demeanor this year - in interviews, sideline, etc.  It will not surprise me to see him follow Locker's footsteps and be hanging on the beach next fall in H

If this happened the team would have moved on during the offseason.

3 minutes ago, Denali said:

So with the playoffs on the line, Mariota decided "Fuck you. I'm not playing"?

Nope, not buying it.  That is not how he rolls.

Remember it was a collective decision.  All reports were that his side sought the outside doctor consultation.  If I were his agent, himself, or his family, it was the smart thing to do.  It's being naïve to think that the $ 20.9 M guarantee was not considered in the decision making process. 

My personal opinion is that his agents then released the litany of injuries he played with after some initial backlash from him not playing too.

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

Well that's not in dispute, he def pulled out of the game. 

It's one of the things that cracks me up about the way the guy is treated. 

Mariota practices 2 days, decides he's not playing and then gets treated as if he's some kind of warrior who proved he could play hurt.

He missed the fucking game with the playoffs on the line and that proves he's some tough guy!

If he wanted to prove being worthy of an extension, sitting out is exactly the opposite of what should have been done.

If his skipping the game was not due to medical reasons, then that would mean he essentially gave up on ever getting an extension.

That's Antonio Brown sort of thinking.  No way do I see Mariota doing that.  Despite everything, he's not a pouty bitch.

2 minutes ago, Denali said:

If he wanted to prove being worthy of an extension, sitting out is exactly the opposite of what should have been done.

If his skipping the game was not due to medical reasons, then that would mean he essentially gave up on ever getting an extension.

That's Antonio Brown sort of thinking.  No way do I see Mariota doing that.  Despite everything, he's not a pouty bitch.

Well there is no doubt his agent had already talked to the team about an extension. Davenport reported Mariota was upset he wasn't getting one. 

This actually gives credence to the theory. The agent thinks, oh shit we're not getting an extension I wonder if the 5th year option is even safe!

Debatable concerning him being a poutybitch 

8 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Well there is no doubt his agent had already talked to the team about an extension. Davenport reported Mariota was upset he wasn't getting one. 

This actually gives credence to the theory. The agent thinks, oh shit we're not getting an extension I wonder if the 5th year option is even safe!

Debatable concerning him being a poutybitch 

I could see your point if the Titans were already eliminated from the playoffs.  But the playoffs were indeed on the line.  If Mariota were to go out there, get them in the playoffs, and then do well in the playoffs and win a few more games, all the better for convincing the Titans to give him an extension.

He's a competitor.  Why would he just give up like that?  It's not like him to do that.

Edited by Denali

Why can't it be a smart business decision?  Nobody disputes that he was injured to some extent.  The issue is whether he could play with it or opt to sit out to protect his long term interests.  $ 20.9 M is a lot to walk away from, especially when it's right there in front of you and there had to be doubts that he's get a big deal otherwise.

Just now, BudAdams said:

Why can't it be a smart business decision?  Nobody disputes that he was injured to some extent.  The issue is whether he could play with it or opt to sit out to protect his long term interests.  $ 20.9 M is a lot to walk away from, especially when it's right there in front of you and there had to be doubts that he's get a big deal otherwise.

And forgo a shot at the playoffs?  He would need to be one of the biggest douche bags in the history of our team to do something like that.

Whether or not that's a coincidence, it definitely helped his career in my eyes.  Up to that point, we had all gotten sick of seeing him fall to the ground and grasping his elbow, and Gabbert had played well in relief.  After that final game, we couldn't wait to get healthy Mariota back and assumed that we would have won with him. Very likely that he would have looked exactly like he did in the first matchup and he would have been all but done.

Edited by abc2330

5 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Maybe he wanted to play but his agent and family advised him not to.  Entirely  possible.  Not everyone is Farve or McNair.

This is very believable and consistent with his character.

Edited by rns90