A few thought/defense of the OL

OILERMAN

Just now, abc2330 said:

Yards per route run (dependant on QB throwing the ball)

Receiver rating (dependant on QB throwing the ball and the passer rating they achieve while doing so)

Average depth of target(dependant on assignment or ability of QB to push the ball)

That's all that I know.  They don't look at every single route and see who gets open.

Then it's a useless stat grounded in subjectivity. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some posters lack perspective about their own team's play. There are two teams on the field and a lot of good players on each side. Having a competent starter does not mean you expect the starter to w

I’m kind of at a loss at what to even say, as the pass game and OL really (the whole team really) can’t be evaluated properly until Mariota is benched. 

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

999 threads about Mariota sucking.

OK and yet we're still talking about him having no help? For four years. With pro bowlers at tackle, RB, TE, a 1st at receiver, a 2nd at receiver, one of the top slots. Another 1st at RT. 

Everything starts at the QB. 

7 minutes ago, big2033 said:

OK and yet we're still talking about him having no help? For four years. With pro bowlers at tackle, RB, TE, a 1st at receiver, a 2nd at receiver, one of the top slots. Another 1st at RT. 

Everything starts at the QB. 

I don't believe all our problems are Marcus' fault. The Oline blows. Wrs not stepping up. I do believe that Marcus is not going to get this team where we want to go. He's not consistent with anything he does except showing up for work. I also believe he's regressed big time for whatever reason. He still has some of the same problems he had his first couple of years but his accuracy and arm strength are much worse and his pocket presence is horrible. It is what it is but there are still issues with this team that are factoring in to piss poor play overall, that aren't on him.

10 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

I don't believe all our problems are Marcus' fault. The Oline blows. Wrs not stepping up. I do believe that Marcus is not going to get this team where we want to go. He's not consistent with anything he does except showing up for work. I also believe he's regressed big time for whatever reason. He still has some of the same problems he had his first couple of years but his accuracy and arm strength are much worse and his pocket presence is horrible. It is what it is but there are still issues with this team that are factoring in to piss poor play overall, that aren't on him.

For how long have his surroundings been piss poor? Is our GM that bad? 

I think we've built a better roster from top to bottom than every other team in the AFC South. Who's built better?

The Colts were going 11-5 with less.

Edited by big2033

9 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

This is nonsense. The OL is t great but its not horrible. A decent QB would do much better behind them. As for WR what can they do when the QB cant get the ball to them? They have 3 really good WRs and a good pair of TEs. The idea Mariota doesnt have good weapons is beyond crazy.

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

For how long have his surroundings been piss poor? Is our GM that bad? 

I think we've built a better roster from top to bottom than every other team in the AFC South. Who's built better?

The Colts were going 11-5 with less.

The Oline has been a problem. Lewis is way overpaid.  I think overall the talent is much better since Jrob took over. Coaching is another thing. I had high hopes for Vrabel but with our talent, we should be on top of the division. The revolving door at OC has not done Mariota any favors. The Titans are underperforming and it's never one person's fault. You win as a team and lose as a team. I'm not sure what the answer is.

5 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

The Oline has been a problem. Lewis is way overpaid.  I think overall the talent is much better since Jrob took over. Coaching is another thing. I had high hopes for Vrabel but with our talent, we should be on top of the division. The revolving door at OC has not done Mariota any favors. The Titans are underperforming and it's never one person's fault. You win as a team and lose as a team. I'm not sure what the answer is.

Isn't the Oline is a problem for DeShaun Watson. How does he make plays?

And we're blaming the OC again? How many OCs is it going to take to convince you the problem is mainly elsewhere?

How many coaches have you blamed for Mariota's struggles? Ask yourself.

The answer is at the most important position in football. 

What current NFL starter does worse with this offense?

When he's benched or let go you still going to blame everyone except the person in charge of his own destiny?

Edited by big2033

38 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

It's the QB. Stop making excuses.

8 hours ago, big2033 said:

Don't you find it odd that teams with great QBs seem to find amazing receivers? There's something very wrong with PFF's theories here. The Chiefs get by with 4th rounders where we need to spend all this draft and FA capitol and suddenly our guys can't run routes.

I think your theory here is a little off.

PFF graded Mercole Hardman as a 62.0 for the season. That's a backup level grade.

It's not like just because a WR plays with a great QB they get a good PFF grade even if they put up good stats.

44 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I think your theory here is a little off.

PFF graded Mercole Hardman as a 62.0 for the season. That's a backup level grade.

It's not like just because a WR plays with a great QB they get a good PFF grade even if they put up good stats.

Oh I don't care how they grade the receivers. I care about receiver production. The fact that Hardman is putting up numbers better than Corey Davis despite his PFF rating speaks volumes.

Mahomes is making it happen regardless. The QB matters more. The fact that we can't get anything out of Corey Davis is robbery.

23 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Oh I don't care how they grade the receivers. I care about receiver production. The fact that Hardman is putting up numbers better than Corey Davis despite his PFF rating speaks volumes.

Mahomes is making it happen regardless. The QB matters more. The fact that we can't get anything out of Corey Davis is robbery.

LOL

They both have 6 receptions on 12 targets.

Hardman's 84 yard catch and run (a pass he had to turn and leap for despite the fact he was Wide Fucking Open) gives him an advantage in yards, but without that one catch, he has fewer yards than Davis.

Both have the same number of first down catches.

Putz

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

LOL

They both have 6 receptions on 12 targets.

Hardman's 84 yard catch and run (a pass he had to turn and leap for despite the fact he was Wide Fucking Open) gives him an advantage in yards, but without that one catch, he has fewer yards than Davis.

Both have the same number of first down catches.

Putz

Yep. Hardman has an 84 yard catch and run. And it was a deep throw that led him between receivers and kept him running. Funny how Mahomes has that happen to him.

Putz.

1 hour ago, JoelinBellevue said:

After 4 years and 3 games the majority have finally concluded what several of us have known for years. Can we just move on from this? He's finished. The only thing to discuss is whether Tanne can play at an elite level. And those of you that think he should set the world on fire immediately don't know shit about team sports. Takes a while to develop chemistry. Think Mariota and Walker. He's got a great arm but needs time. Mariota has sucked for years and still starts. Patience my friends. Hopefully it will work out.  And if you get mad at Tanne, remember, he hasn't robbed this organization of $21M. 

Does it really matter if Tanne sucks anyway? There's no way, barring a miracle, they give him the keys long term. If Tanne crashes Mariota is still done.

4 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

I would rather not do the draft and pray deal we have done since VY. I'm hoping we can develop Tanne and possibly Woodside. Colts and Jags are rolling with backups. Tannehill has been a starter.  I hope we get to evaluate him under this staff.

You're kidding yourself.

There's no quick fix here. Tannehill may be better as a starter but we'll still be looking for a future QB in the draft or FA.

The Colts and Jags know they aren't going too far with their backups either - although I like Brissett. They'll draft competition at some point. 

Edited by big2033