A few thought/defense of the OL

OILERMAN

This was a total team loss. Mariota should be heavily criticized and benched but he wasn't the only problem yesterday. Between the OL failing to protect Mariota or open up holes for Henry and the Jags blanketing us, it was a bleak affair. The penalties were also huge in this game as they took like 2 of our better runs off the board and turned first downs into unmanageable downs All in all this is the worst we've looked in a long time and you gotta hope that getting Nate Davis in there and Lewan back helps stabilize things. I won't even get into how pitiful pressure was from the DL. I hope he really is WAY ahead of schedule and fully healthy because we need Jefferey Simmons in a bad way up front. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some posters lack perspective about their own team's play. There are two teams on the field and a lot of good players on each side. Having a competent starter does not mean you expect the starter to w

I’m kind of at a loss at what to even say, as the pass game and OL really (the whole team really) can’t be evaluated properly until Mariota is benched. 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

This was a total team loss. Mariota should be heavily criticized and benched but he wasn't the only problem yesterday. Between the OL failing to protect Mariota or open up holes for Henry and the Jags blanketing us, it was a bleak affair. The penalties were also huge in this game as they took like 2 of our better runs off the board and turned first downs into unmanageable downs All in all this is the worst we've looked in a long time and you gotta hope that getting Nate Davis in there and Lewan back helps stabilize things. I won't even get into how pitiful pressure was from the DL. I hope he really is WAY ahead of schedule and fully healthy because we need Jefferey Simmons in a bad way up front. 

Yes, penalties, Jackson's mistake , and GM looking legitimately great on certain plays did us in.  But last week was totally in Mariota, and that loss makes this one hurt even more

1 hour ago, abc2330 said:

Yes, penalties, Jackson's mistake , and GM looking legitimately great on certain plays did us in.  But last week was totally in Mariota, and that loss makes this one hurt even more

I agree completely. Nights like last night where the wheels come off and you just shoot yourself in the foot/get overmatched will happen in the NFL which is why it is so crucial to win games where you have every chance to win like last week. Now we're 1-2 and dead last in the division. 

Edited by Mythos27

No doubt that the OL has some issues, but the GM and coaching staff can't be happy that they are matching records of the early stages of an expansion team with an infamously shell-shocked QB.  Not to mention every addition to the passing game that we make seem to make it even less effective.  I wish that Mariota did PEDs instead of eating donuts so that we that we could make an easier transition

Saffold and Conklin gotta be better. I know it doesn't help that the defense knows they gotta chip. We're basically running 7-9 blockers on every play, which means all they gotta do is beat their guys and the cards fall down. 

Zero respect for the pass beyond 5-10 yards. 

1 hour ago, cenj said:

I don't know, I thought the protection was good most of the time. He had pockets to step into, room to roll outside, but he kept walking into pressure. Also, if you're going to send 4 guys on routes, you can't expect protection to hold for 4-5 seconds. 

There was some 1-on-1 losses by the OL, but that happens. It wasn't pervasive. I saw space to throw and guys running open. Pull the trigger and get some first downs and the D won't be able to tee off every damn play.

It was pervasive for Jamil Douglas. 

And Conklin got beat a few times too but they weren’t helping him out at all. 

The biggest issue to me is that the Jags can just blitz to their hearts’ content with a big lead and Mariota can’t make them pay for it. 

The Jaguars are not a team you want to be playing from behind against. 

OL scheme or/and OL player development to me are really in question.  Can’t see where Kevin Carter has elevated any of his players.  Health and stupid penalties aside, no young player has emerged in the last two off seasons. Vrabel needs to look at his coaching house and upgrade this offseason imo.  

And for the record I don’t proclaim to know anything but the Gs regressed from 17 to 18 and were let go in 19 and the plan was a high priced FA over 30 (which is an upgrade) and a 3rd rd pick who got injured.  I guess we will see what happens the second quarter of the season.

Edited by FRT

13 minutes ago, tgo said:

It was pervasive for Jamil Douglas. 

And Conklin got beat a few times too but they weren’t helping him out at all. 

The biggest issue to me is that the Jags can just blitz to their hearts’ content with a big lead and Mariota can’t make them pay for it. 

The Jaguars are not a team you want to be playing from behind against. 

There were issues with the OL a good QB works around, MM turned it into a 9 sack dumpster fire