A few thought/defense of the OL

OILERMAN

There is no doubt the Titans OL has some issues. Vrabel flat out said Davis was going to have to start and Douglas was actually benched late in the game. There were plays in which Jags pass rushers beat their man and ran free......

However....

Obviously Mariota held the ball too long on some of the drop backs and was to blame for the sacks. There was also a play in which MM was going to take a quick one step drop and the DB jumped in front and MM was forced to eat the ball(correctly). That's not the OL. 

More importantly this team has constantly been in 3rd and long through 3 games. That's a ton of pressure for any OL to have to deal with. 

Also the team is totally dependent on playaction. Teams know this. Playaction is slow developing and requires the OL to sell run, the QB turns his back and takes a deep drop. If the defense ignores the run action and pass rushes they are going to totally get there. This is happening a lot. 

While they need to get Lewan back and need to shore up the RG spot the OL is totally getting set up for failure.  

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some posters lack perspective about their own team's play. There are two teams on the field and a lot of good players on each side. Having a competent starter does not mean you expect the starter to w

I’m kind of at a loss at what to even say, as the pass game and OL really (the whole team really) can’t be evaluated properly until Mariota is benched. 

Posted Images

Yeah, we need to do some standard drop back passing. Let the OL pass block from the start. That's on the playcalling, and it may well be due to Mariota's limitations. But they are what they are. He can still make good throws when a guy gets open and they are on the same page. Let him scan the field instead of always having his back to it from the start. If he's going to fail, let him fail by running a legit offense.

And Douglas has to go. That was atrocious.

Also, 18 pressures and 9 sacks. Even if we give half of all of that to Marcus, the OL played a shit game.

Edited by Alcibiades

1 minute ago, abc2330 said:

PFF's take on us was basically 90% trashing Mariota and his inability to feel or react to pressure

Absolutely

He’s taking 8-10 sacks in plenty of games when he had to drop back, when Lewan was playing 

2 minutes ago, VaTitan said:

From memory, I dont think most were due to playaction.  Jags dline just spanked us up front.  I also think MM held the ball sometimes, but not because he was indecisive, but because the Jags secondary plastered our receivers.  

Overall they just ate our lunch.

I'll watch it later today and record the numbers. I'd be careful assumming it was all coverage. The all-22 could tell a different story.

1 minute ago, VaTitan said:

sg.... Is this the same as that QB coaching film?  If you could post it here, that would be great.

yeah all-22=coaches film. I don't pay for the service but many others do like Nine and he usually posts something about it later in the week.

2 minutes ago, reo said:

How many pass plays were play action is the question... I'd say a pretty high % of the passes.

Which isn't an indicator one or the other as many of the great offenses over recent years (Eagles, Rams, Chiefs, etc...) use a lot of play action. Data shows teams should run more play action as it has a very high success rate. The problem is that many old school coaches, media personalities, and fans keep stating you have to have success running the ball to set up play action. This actually isn't true at all based on data. Long story short I'm fine with heavy play action but it's impact is limited when the QB can't execute a normal drop back game.