Warren Sharp on Smith

Titans279

Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

He wasn’t at the bottom the whole time. That’s what I’m telling you. He was processing very well his rookie year behind the worst line in the NFL. In 2016 he was in a run first offense built around PA. He did well with it, but he also played well from the pocket, navigated it, and continued to progress with his ability to process the field. He’s looked a lot different after the leg break. 

Well, I don't believe you sorry. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mariota is not trusted plain and simple. Aggressive coaches call aggressive games when they have a Qb that can throw the ball

Scine...what in the world?

The guy can’t consistently make pro throws. End of story. Time to move on. 

Posted Images

His second game in the NFL his line was getting brutalized the entire game. Poutasi was on an island getting destroyed every single play. His pass to DGB was a fourth read after navigating a muddy pocket, moving away from two defenders, and throwing a 25 yard strike. Does anyone believe Marcus could physically or mentally make that same throw in 2019? If you do, you’re an idiot. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You don’t believe he was processing well? Or you don’t believe what exactly? 

I don't believe he was processing well. I believe in his rookie year he was living off teams that didn't have film on him. Like a lot of young QBs do.

In 2016 things were simplified for him. Again, teams didn't quite grasp what we were up to as it was a scheme and philosophy change. That was a team and offense led by Demarco Murray, not Mariota. And a o-line back loaded with TEs and lineman to give Mariota as clean of a pocket as possible as he was skittish. Unfortunately, that left the passing game with few weapons.

In 2017 they adapted, Murray got old and Mariota did not grow from his past deficiencies. Our staff did not know where to go from there and they were rightfully let go. But from then on  the book was out on Mariota and the coaching staff ran things a similar way in 2018 and now 2019.

I believe now his scouting report was what he is. And his strengths and the way we built our team allowed him to mask it for a time.

Or there's this:

Edited by big2033

That same scouting report listed him as a first round pick and his grade was the 6th best out of the 16 first round QBs drafted since 2015.

I don't see how him having these weaknesses he never developed out of means he wasn't better in some ways early in his career. It's possible to make progress and then regress. It doesn't have to be that he was always performing at the exact same level.

But more importantly IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY MATTER except that people want to say they were right lol.

Bottom Line

Scheme-based quarterback who will face the same challenges that several quarterbacks before him have faced in terms of learning how to read defenses and go through progressions. The tape was less kind to Mariota than expected, but his size, athleticism and consistency of football character throughout his career are necessary traits in becoming a good-to-great quarterback. Mariota's ability to create outside the pocket will help win games here and there and buy him time as he plies his craft. However, to reach his potential and match the play with the traits, he must develop more poise and feel in the pocket and improve his field vision. Mariota is no lock to be a great NFL quarterback, but his floor is much higher than any of the quarterbacks drafted in 2014.

11 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

That same scouting report listed him as a first round pick and his grade was the 6th best out of the 16 first round QBs drafted since 2015.

I don't see how him having these weaknesses he never developed out of means he wasn't better in some ways early in his career. It's possible to make progress and then regress. It doesn't have to be that he was always performing at the exact same level.

But more importantly IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY MATTER except that people want to say they were right lol.

I'm trying to say I was wrong too. The lesson is when a QB we draft struggles in ways that connects to their past issues, learn to look at the player instead of always pointing to the staff, WRs, line etc. It's what traps us all.

His struggles weren't new. But we blamed others for them.

Do QBs really regress off their rookie year? Or do defenses simply figure them out?

When a QB has too many weakness and not enough strengths eventually teams just take the strengths away because they know what to expect.

Edited by big2033

9 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I’m not sure why this is complicated. 

4 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I'm trying to say I was wrong too. The lesson is when a QB we draft struggles in ways that connects to their past issues, learn to look at the player instead of always pointing to the staff, WRs, line etc. It's what traps us all.

His struggles weren't new. But we blamed others for them.

Do QBs really regress off their rookie year? Or do defenses simply figure them out?

I tend to think that people can improve and then get worse.

Also I don't think situation (coaches, surrounding talent, etc.) doesn't matter. I would have a hard time believing that Mahomes could have started for us in 2015 and thrown 50 touchdowns.

10 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I tend to think that people can improve and then get worse.

Also I don't think situation (coaches, surrounding talent, etc.) doesn't matter. I would have a hard time believing that Mahomes could have started for us in 2015 and thrown 50 touchdowns.

And that's fine. I tend to believe that players are what they are, what degree they'll reach comes down to situation etc. 

Situation does matter. But that means Mahomes may have thrown 30 TDS instead of 50 ... not 11 TDs. That's what I've been saying the whole time. It still means he's a dominant QB. 11 TDs mean regardless of your situation you played bad.

It matters, but it doesn't blow up a talent as much as people almost hope it does.

Edited by big2033

7 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Mariota has regressed.  He is more of a statue than Mett in the pocket and that fumble was beyond pathetic.  In the NFL you cannot just stand there.  You have to feel the rush and slide around.  The bubble screen off target was putrid BS.  Then Sharpe wide open on an easy TD is a play NFL QBs have to make.  The kid can't see the field and isn't playing with any anticipation.  Even if one of your OL guys gets beat like a drum feel which side the guy is coming from and slide the other way.  Help the OL out.  He takes tons of sacks right in his face.  The Jags had a far better QB.  

When has Mariota ever felt the rush? I can't think of instances where he's routinely used his feet or other skills to bail us out. 

Edited by big2033

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Situation does matter. But that means Mahomes may have thrown 30 TDS instead of 50 ... not 11 TDs. That's what I've been saying the whole time.

It matters, but it doesn't blow up a talent as much as people almost hope it does.

...you mean similar to his sophomore year where he looked like a good QB? Yeah. Stop already. 

4 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

...you mean similar to his sophomore year where he looked like a good QB? Yeah. Stop already. 

Sigh ... Mariota didn't have a season like Mahomes. Mahomes threw the ball infinitely better even if he had only thrown for 30 TDs.

Mahomes also threw for 5000 yards. 

Mariota has never thrown the ball like Mahomes. Never.

Edited by big2033

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Sigh ... Mariota didn't have a season like Mahomes. Mahomes threw the ball infinitely better even if he had only thrown for 30 TDs.

Mahomes also threw for 5000 yards. 

Mariota had a nice stretch of games where it looked like he could become a good qb.  There were still some bad throws/games (MIN and JAX game before he got hurt) that were still things he had to improve on/clean up.  And he couldn't get past those things and here we are today.