Jonboy

Colts Recap Thread

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

I personally think it's ridiculous from a coaching standpoint that Henry and Lewis had equal snaps. Maybe Henry isn't quite in "football shape" yet, although well conditioned overall, after missing all of training camp. 

I guess they were throwing more than usual, which necessitates Lewis in there for pass protection maybe, but Henry is a totally different caliber of player and in a game like this, you run Henry into the ground to win this game. 

Agreed. I think yesterday they were worried about the heat. Too much? Hard to say without actually playing in it and knowing what it was like. 

34 minutes ago, tgo said:

I personally think it's ridiculous from a coaching standpoint that Henry and Lewis had equal snaps. Maybe Henry isn't quite in "football shape" yet, although well conditioned overall, after missing all of training camp. 

I guess they were throwing more than usual, which necessitates Lewis in there for pass protection maybe, but Henry is a totally different caliber of player and in a game like this, you run Henry into the ground to win this game. 

How many opportunities do you get to pound a team when you only convert 2 3rd downs the entire game? it's easy to say Henry should have had 25 carries.

The biggest thing I’ve been meaning to point at regarding the defense is how much the weather played a factor. This was the hottest game ever played in Nissan stadium. I was there and it was hard to just sit in our seats, let alone play a full game.

The D made a big stop with like 6 minutes left and gave the offense a chance to march down the field and burn the clock out. Instead the offense went 3 and out and sent the defense right back out there. That’s when the backup running back had his big 60 yard run. They were exhausted and the offense left them high and dry at the end of the game.

edit: and even after all of that they made a stop to give the offense a chance with 1:20 left and the offense blew it again.

Edited by Thrill

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

How many opportunities do you get to pound a team when you only convert 2 3rd downs the entire game? it's easy to say Henry should have had 25 carries.

If they had ran Henry on first down more in the end, there would have been more opportunities and we'd have converted more 3rd downs most likely. 

11 minutes ago, tgo said:

If they had ran Henry on first down more in the end, there would have been more opportunities and we'd have converted more 3rd downs most likely. 

How many 1st down runs to Henry did they call? 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

How many 1st down runs to Henry did they call? 

Not sure, I just saw on the last few drives that instead of running Henry they A) pulled him for Lewis, and B) had Mariota out there throwing it for 3 consecutive downs and going 3 and out. 

I was sitting there thinking that it was not smart to put the game in Mariota's hands like that with a worn out defense. 

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Not sure, I just saw on the last few drives that instead of running Henry they A) pulled him for Lewis, and B) had Mariota out there throwing it for 3 consecutive downs and going 3 and out. 

I was sitting there thinking that it was not smart to put the game in Mariota's hands like that with a worn out defense. 

aside from the final drive when did they have Mariota throw it 3 times and go 3 and out? On the 2nd to last drive they threw it on 1st down and then called a run to Lewis on 2nd down.

21 minutes ago, oldschool said:

aside from the final drive when did they have Mariota throw it 3 times and go 3 and out? On the 2nd to last drive they threw it on 1st down and then called a run to Lewis on 2nd down.

It may have been the last drive that I'm thinking of, but regardless - they should have been running Henry over Lewis in the 4th quarter imo

10 minutes ago, tgo said:

It may have been the last drive that I'm thinking of, but regardless - they should have been running Henry over Lewis in the 4th quarter imo

The last drive where they only had 1 minute to get into FG range? come on dude. you can't fault the OC for not calling a run to Henry in that situation. The fact is the OC didn't have much of chance to get Henry the ball in the 4th.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

The last drive where they only had 1 minute to get into FG range? come on dude. you can't fault the OC for not calling a run to Henry in that situation. The fact is the OC didn't have much of chance to get Henry the ball in the 4th.

So this is the drive I'm thinking of: 2nd to last drive, sorry - 

image.thumb.png.235f95cf93e17a099fe4af80673f3a72.png

Then - the drive before this - they pulled Henry for Lewis after he was running successfully, which was not smart imo