The Vrabel Era

Number9

5 hours ago, Ricky said:

Vrabel is a pay attention to details. Details and fundamentals. He is a hard nosed type of coach but the players love him and play hard for him. The video of the locker room post game of the browns shows that. He teaches about each player learning to be a better player. Best coach we have had in a very long time. 

He's better at clock management than other Patriot disciples.  I'm sure that what happened with the Lions wouldn't have happened under his watch.  And I enjoy that he work with the defensive lineman on techniques, it just seems refreshing that he can actually give them pointers on how to improve..

4 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Sure, it's a game of chess. But coaching is not what led their DB to take a freaking horrible angle and take himself out of the play. It should have only been a 30-40 yard gain. 

And good coaching had nothing to do with any of Bakers 3 INTs.

Think of it this way though-if that DB had the attention to detail coaching provided by the coach on the other side of the field that day, maybe he doesn't take that bad angle.  Same goes for at least two of the int's for Baker.

Those are perfect examples of things that good attention to detail coaches can remedy.

6 hours ago, Ricky said:

Vrabel is a pay attention to details. Details and fundamentals. He is a hard nosed type of coach but the players love him and play hard for him. The video of the locker room post game of the browns shows that. He teaches about each player learning to be a better player. Best coach we have had in a very long time. 

He's been better than I expected. Thought he'd be a real hothead when he was hired. Wasn't sure how he would manage personalities. I still say its a little early, but he's looking like a good hire so far.

14 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Sure, it's a game of chess. But coaching is not what led their DB to take a freaking horrible angle and take himself out of the play. It should have only been a 30-40 yard gain. 

And good coaching had nothing to do with any of Bakers 3 INTs. One was a superb play by Ryan. The other two were just terrible freaking throws. Those TOs, mostly mistakes by a 2nd year QB, is what blew that game open. Not the game plan. 

Not trying to take away from the win, but it was a nail biter for 3 quarters until Baker threw away the game on 3 straight drives. 

Samething happened when we got embarrassed by Pitt on Tbursday night two years ago. Great, tight game until Mariota turned it over 2 or 3 times late in that game. 

Coaching is what made those INTs happen. Not from a scheme stand point or what play was called though. It was mental. It’s such an underrated aspect of the game. The mental fortitude of the Browns is what cost them the game. The Henry TD destroyed all confidence they had and brought them down. The titans held it together while the Browns didn’t.

Yeah, I haven't heard many people using the "meathead" tag to describe Vrabel, lately. That hire was a bit of a head scratcher for me and I was concerned that JR was leaning too heavily on the Patriot way with his choice. I wasn't confident in him due to Vrabel's lack of head coaching experience but I've been impressed with him from day one. I like his aggressiveness and his businesslike demeanor. He's a hands on guy like BB. I also wasn't convinced about that being a good thing but the players obviously love him and play hard for him. 

17 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

And good coaching had nothing to do with any of Bakers 3 INTs. One was a superb play by Ryan. The other two were just terrible freaking throws. Those TOs, mostly mistakes by a 2nd year QB, is what blew that game open. Not the game plan. 

Not trying to take away from the win, but it was a nail biter for 3 quarters until Baker threw away the game on 3 straight drives. 

Samething happened when we got embarrassed by Pitt on Tbursday night two years ago. Great, tight game until Mariota turned it over 2 or 3 times late in that game. 

I think the horrible angle just came from the fact that Henry's speed is deceptive.  You can try to coach em up but that's something that is just hard to take from practice to the field until you see it in person.  If they see him again maybe next time they will take a better angle.

but I think the pics came from coaching...listen to the deep dive bit by Simms on the game.  He talks about what the titans D did to disrupt Baker and make him uncomfortable.  Talks about the Ryan pic.

brought up the fact that he thought Tenn. probably looked back at the Texans game where they picked Baker like 3 times and probably copied what they did to him.  Also said something along the lines that both our defenses come from the Patriots mold.  

It's coaching during the week and execution on Sundays..they go hand in hand IMO.  Great coaching increases you chances by a few percentage points...doesn't mean your gonna win but you play those odds and see what happens...Baker hung in there (I often do in vegas) but in the end he got beat down.