Jonboy

Cosell on Victory Over Browns

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, big2033 said:

It's amazing how you guys spin this stuff ... 

It seems to happen quite often both ways. Smith called the play that had the highest probability of scoring a TD. That play is almost impossible to defend near the goal line if executed perfectly (which it was). The fact that it was one read shouldn't be the defining criteria as to whether it was a good play or bad play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Justafan said:

In hindsight, Mularkey was severely under-appreciated.  

 Probably a better OC than a HC.  But certainly not horrific.  Did a decent job here.

 

As for the one read stuff I'm not sure people aren't misunderstanding what good QBs do.  The important reads are before the ball is snapped.  Guys like Brady don't scan the field as much as they have a good idea where they are going based on the routes and match ups compared to what he sees the defense doing before the snap.  You rarely see Brady hold the ball very long.  At the snap he knows already who he expects is going to be open.  He may look off a S (or read a S) or something but then gets the ball out almost as fast as he hits the last step in his drop back.  His OL doesn't have to hold blocks for more than 3 seconds.  If you can fool him and/or cover up his initial ready he becomes more pedestrian.  The Eagles did it when they got the game winning sack and we did it when we played him last year.  Mariota looks terrific when he is confident where he is going and plants and throws.  If he is hesitant he looks pathetic most of the time especially if he doesn't have a running lane.  If he does get a pass off it is often off balance with poor footwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

 Probably a better OC than a HC.  But certainly not horrific.  Did a decent job here.

 

As for the one read stuff I'm not sure people aren't misunderstanding what good QBs do.  The important reads are before the ball is snapped.  Guys like Brady don't scan the field as much as they have a good idea where they are going based on the routes and match ups compared to what he sees the defense doing before the snap.  You rarely see Brady hold the ball very long.  At the snap he knows already who he expects is going to be open.  He may look off a S (or read a S) or something but then gets the ball out almost as fast as he hits the last step in his drop back.  His OL doesn't have to hold blocks for more than 3 seconds.  If you can fool him and/or cover up his initial ready he becomes more pedestrian.  The Eagles did it when they got the game winning sack and we did it when we played him last year.  Mariota looks terrific when he is confident where he is going and plants and throws.  If he is hesitant he looks pathetic most of the time especially if he doesn't have a running lane.  If he does get a pass off it is often off balance with poor footwork.

 

Throwing off the back foot takes more arm strength which I think MM struggles with. It could very well be due to lingering past injuries but I don't know enough about it to definitively say that .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could see that Mayfield is a more compact thrower who can quickly regain form and get his feet right.  It is key on the mid to long throws for accuracy.  I don't see Mariota getting much better at this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, big2033 said:

 

It remains to be seen but that's the way it's always been in his time here outside of his rookie year where things were a disaster ... was it not? We've blamed it on a couple of things or people, but ultimately we keep playing the same style with Mariota at QB.

 

As you’ve said before, there are always going to be issues, ol injuries, drops, injuries etc.....

 

I didn’t hear people making excuses for Mayfield and he’s got like 10 starts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

 

As you’ve said before, there are always going to be issues, ol injuries, drops, injuries etc.....

 

I didn’t hear people making excuses for Mayfield and he’s got like 10 starts 

Mayfield def gets an excuse for his game. He couldn’t handle and keep composure due to inexperience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

 

As you’ve said before, there are always going to be issues, ol injuries, drops, injuries etc.....

 

I didn’t hear people making excuses for Mayfield and he’s got like 10 starts 

Problem is you tend to just turn a blind eye to possible reasons for Mariota not developing, stick your head in the sand, and keep repeating the same ol’ tired “it’s just excuses” mantra. 

 

Everuthing isnt black and white, duder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Mayfield def gets an excuse for his game. He couldn’t handle and keep composure due to inexperience.

 

I agree.  Plus the play calling for this game put the whole game on his shoulders even with the OL issues.  They should have mixed in more of a running game (Chubb is pretty good and also capable of ripping long ones).  Even when they got behind.  Running the ball doesn't take that much time off the clock if you are in hurry up anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

 

I agree.  Plus the play calling for this game put the whole game on his shoulders even with the OL issues.  They should have mixed in more of a running game (Chubb is pretty good and also capable of ripping long ones).  Even when they got behind.  Running the ball doesn't take that much time off the clock if you are in hurry up anyway.  

Yeah Kitchens was brutal lol. I’ll never forget that 3rd and 1. Did he expect the titans to think it was going to be a run? He hadn’t ran the ball all game. Was such a dumb pass too. A long developing play with deep routes lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, socaltitan said:

People see what they want to see

pretty much sums it up.  people make their determinations and then see what they want to fit what they thought .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Problem is you tend to just turn a blind eye to possible reasons for Mariota not developing, stick your head in the sand, and keep repeating the same ol’ tired “it’s just excuses” mantra. 

 

Everuthing isnt black and white, duder. 

 

It’s year 5, it doesn’t even matter why 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

even though it's year 5 I don't think it's over for MM.

Titans are trying to be the Pats in the sense that it's a game plan week in and week out and the players job is to execute it.

I think that if he stays healthy he may be able to do just that.  He can be a cog in the machine so to speak.

He's fuckin 25..a year older than Mayfield.  That kinda shocked me when I heard someone say that the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

It seems to happen quite often both ways. Smith called the play that had the highest probability of scoring a TD. That play is almost impossible to defend near the goal line if executed perfectly (which it was). The fact that it was one read shouldn't be the defining criteria as to whether it was a good play or bad play.

I agree but that wasn't Cosell's point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the OC developed a game plan that played to the strengths of the players he had available and people want to bitch that the QB has problems when throwing from the pocket? Who says the QB has to throw from the pocket to win a SB? All the previous SB winning coaches we have on this forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.