Jonboy

Cosell on Victory Over Browns

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Then I don’t think you’re right. Dak and Goff play well with a lead. They crumble when they’re forced to do straight drop backs. 

You're saying those guys have never had a better game than Mariota's Dallas game last year?  Dak's last game he threw 4tds and had a passer rating of 158.  When is the last time Mariota did that?

Edited by Justafan

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

You're saying those guys have never had a better game than Mariota's Dallas game last year?  Dak's last game he threw 4tds and had a passer rating of 158.  When is the last time Mariota did that?

That's kind of another problem (re: Mariota), he rarely has these games which are pretty much commonplace in the modern NFL.  It's like an average NFL passing game gets bumped up to some pantheon of greatness here.

12 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Mariota almost did that last game.  His passer rating was 133.  He had 3 TDs.  Don't get me wrong Presscott had a huge game (threw for 400 yards) but I'm not sure he is going to do that every game.  

31 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I’m discussing a very specific function of a QB play: when they’re constantly behind in down and distance and forced to drop back in 3rd and long. I’m not talking about overall game play. 

39 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m discussing a very specific function of a QB play: when they’re constantly behind in down and distance and forced to drop back in 3rd and long. I’m not talking about overall game play. 

We're discussing two different things then.  I would have to really go back and watch those guys and break em' down to give anything close to an informed opinion.  The truth is, all QBs play better with a lead and 3rd and long ain't that big a deal in the modern NFL anymore.  You think Tom Brady is scared of 3rd and 9?

On 9/11/2019 at 2:57 PM, LongTimeFan said:

I thought Landry played well. It seemed like Casey was not up to his usual self.

I saw Casey getting limited pressure and flat out pancakes several times. I wasn't pleased with his performance at all. 

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

As you’ve said before, there are always going to be issues, ol injuries, drops, injuries etc.....

I didn’t hear people making excuses for Mayfield and he’s got like 10 starts 

Check out the Browns thread.  Unless you have Starkiller and others on ignore, they were providing a list of excuses for Bak.  You are choosing to not read/watch/listen for the excuses because he's not your focus.

2 hours ago, Justafan said:

Check the schedule and see when teams play vs the Giants and Dolphins.  (perhaps Lions and Cards, too)

Shitty opponents can really help the stats.

6 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Check out the Browns thread.  Unless you have Starkiller and others on ignore, they were providing a list of excuses for Bak.  You are choosing to not read/watch/listen for the excuses because he's not your focus.

Check the schedule and see when teams play vs the Giants and Dolphins.  (perhaps Lions and Cards, too)

Shitty opponents can really help the stats.

Sure.  Mariota played the Bills last year.  Another terrible team.  How did that one go?

Marcus Mariota will never have a performance like Ryan Fitzpatrick did last year ... and that doesn't mean shit.

It's about high-level performance over a consistent length of time.

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

We're discussing two different things then.  I would have to really go back and watch those guys and break em' down to give anything close to an informed opinion.  The truth is, all QBs play better with a lead and 3rd and long ain't that big a deal in the modern NFL anymore.  You think Tom Brady is scared of 3rd and 9?

Nope, but he’s elite. I’m saying openly I’ve watched quite a few of their games and never seen them do well in those situations. Mariota, for all his limitations, does fairly well relatively speaking when coming from behind. @scine09 could likely give more detailed information than I can. 

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Nope, but he’s elite. I’m saying openly I’ve watched quite a few of their games and never seen them do well in those situations. Mariota, for all his limitations, does fairly well relatively speaking when coming from behind. @scine09 could likely give more detailed information than I can. 

So you're hypothezising that in a VERY specific situation that Mariota MIGHT be better than some other middle tier QBs?  

Even if it's true (show me), what does it prove?  Those guys are still better than Mariota.  Trying to find one example where that might not be the case doesn't make up for all the other situations where they definitively are.  Dak tripled Mariota's TD production last year.  Tripled!  I don't think Dak is really all that good.  That's where we're at though.