Cosell on Victory Over Browns

Jonboy

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No...it's not be silly with every freaking thing.  There are plenty of routes where there is only one receiver in goal line formations.  It was a heavy package and the design of the play was to make t

Derrick Mason discusses this on 102.5 the game this morning.. he pointed out Mariota ‘s flaws including lack of a consistent platform, feeling pressure when it wasn’t there , and a lack of accuracy wh

Cossell wasn't saying the entire offense was one read but that doesn't matter.  He did specifically say they had to scheme around Mariota's limitations and he specifically said one of the ways they di

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I listened to the Mike Herndon all 22 podcast. He said the reason he only gave MM a C+ is because he threw the ball too poorly and only executed some simple plays but did credit him for not making mistakes and executing the game plan. When asked about Davis he said all 3 targets were off target throws 

He also praised the OL and to @oldschool's point he said Mariota had more time in the pocket than any game he played in last year. He was pretty positive on the pass protection. 

Another note that I personally found interesting was he praised Jonnu. I thought Jonnu looked great and he might should be a bigger part of the game plan, dude is a playmaker. He said they lined up some heavy sets and actually had him at the X WR position. Also said he blocked way better. 

Smith was playing at a much higher level when he got the knee injury. He could be an X factor.  

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I listened to the Mike Herndon all 22 podcast. He said the reason he only gave MM a C+ is because he threw the ball too poorly and only executed some simple plays but did credit him for not making mistakes and executing the game plan. When asked about Davis he said all 3 targets were off target throws 

He also praised the OL and to @oldschool's point he said Mariota had more time in the pocket than any game he played in last year. He was pretty positive on the pass protection. 

Another note that I personally found interesting was he praised Jonnu. I thought Jonnu looked great and he might should be a bigger part of the game plan, dude is a playmaker. He said they lined up some heavy sets and actually had him at the X WR position. Also said he blocked way better. 

He took on Garrett one on one and held his own. It was impressive. 

8 hours ago, Titans279 said:

According to Pro Football Reference Mariota has 9 4th quarter comebacks and 11 game winning drives. This is is 57 games played from 2015 to 2019.

In the same period Tannehill has 8 of each in only 41 games and Dalton has 11 of each in 57 games.

In terms of percentage of total games which have a 4th quarter comeback or game winning drive Tannehill actually beats Mariota.

Dalton beats Mariota in 4QC percentage.

The person with the most of each is actually Derek Carr who has 15 of each in that time period in 63 games played. That's a 4QC or game winning drive in 24% of his games.

I guess to me I'm not sure that number of comebacks or game winning drives really correlates to passing ability. None of those guys would be considered in the top tier of pure passing. Some of those that are (RIvers, Rodgers, Brady) have far fewer comebacks or game winning drives. Brady is sandwiched between Blake Bortles and Tyrod Taylor in number of these stats.

Maybe it means more that the guys are decent passers who play on mediocre teams that play a lot of close games thus there's a lot of opportunity for these types of wins.

My post was not about 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drive.  It's about coming back from multi-score deficits.  4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt.  For example, Mariota got credit for a game-winning drive in a 12-9 OT win against the Browns.  Also, a guy gets credit for a 4th quarter comeback if his team scores literally the 1st play of the 4th quarter versus the last play of the 3rd.  I'm not saying that happened but just putting the 4th quarter comebacks/game-winning drives without context is a hollow stat.

How many times in Tannehill/Carr/Dalton's careers have they brought their teams back from multi-score to either take the lead or win?  Mariota's done it 14 times (including playoffs).  I would sincerely doubt that those players have done it 14 times.  I can certainly look it up.

On 9/13/2019 at 9:50 AM, big2033 said:

OK ... but do you agree with Cosell's assessment of why the offense was called the way it was?

I agree completely.

But realize this:   Cosell's comments here weren't directed at Mariota or even about him.    Everyone is obviously spinning it that way because  Mariota was mentioned....but those comments were Cosell's response to a question that specifically asked what the Titans did to help out Dennis Kelly and Jamil Douglas.   (Which was the whole point I was trying to make in the first place.     The gameplan wasn't only about Mariota's limitations....it was also about the depleted O-line.)

I completely agree that Mariota is a limited passer;  he's at his best on designed plays or plays with specific reads.  When asked to drop back and scan the field with multiple reads, he becomes inconsistent and far less effective.    Not that he's incapable....but it's very hit-and-miss.

Mariota has this year to show significant improvement in that area....but I doubt we'll see many of those plays in the gameplan until Arthur Smith has full confidence in the O-line.   Until Lewan returns, I'm anticipating the gameplans will be similar to what we saw in week one.

5 hours ago, scine09 said:

My post was not about 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drive.  It's about coming back from multi-score deficits.  4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt.  For example, Mariota got credit for a game-winning drive in a 12-9 OT win against the Browns.  Also, a guy gets credit for a 4th quarter comeback if his team scores literally the 1st play of the 4th quarter versus the last play of the 3rd.  I'm not saying that happened but just putting the 4th quarter comebacks/game-winning drives without context is a hollow stat.

How many times in Tannehill/Carr/Dalton's careers have they brought their teams back from multi-score to either take the lead or win?  Mariota's done it 14 times (including playoffs).  I would sincerely doubt that those players have done it 14 times.  I can certainly look it up.

You should do it

13 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

You should do it

I actually meant to do it this offseason, not just those QBs, but all QBs since 2015 just to see where Mariota ranked.  Maybe I'll get to it.

I think that it's also important to figure out the % of times that QBs were unable to make up 2-score deficits to at least tie games.  Because obviously you have QBs like Brady who likely haven't even faced 15 2-score plus deficits since 2015, let alone made them up.  So obviously his numbers are going to be lower.  But that's due to opportunity.

Edited by scine09