Cosell on Victory Over Browns

Jonboy

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

All three of those guys have had better games than the game you point out so yes, I do think they could have.  Dak has had far more big games than Mariota and so has Goff.  

Mariota can do it because he did it in that game.  In limited circumstances.  Against certain opponents.  All QBs can do it in spurts.  BG put up 5tds on the Patriots one week doing nothing but short crossing routes.  But week in and week out he can't do it.  He cannot do it.  

He'll be better against bad defenses and he'll probably be a little better against Man heavy defenses and teams that don't have the LBs to contain.  Good defenses, especially zone defenses give him fits.  Disciplined defenses give him fits.  Defenses that generate pressure give him fits.  All for the same reasons.  He doesn't have the ability to drop back, sit in the pocket and pick apart a defense.  

I’m not talking about this game. I was speaking specifically about games like Dallas last year where Mariota has no run game and was consistently in 3rd and +9. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No...it's not be silly with every freaking thing.  There are plenty of routes where there is only one receiver in goal line formations.  It was a heavy package and the design of the play was to make t

Derrick Mason discusses this on 102.5 the game this morning.. he pointed out Mariota ‘s flaws including lack of a consistent platform, feeling pressure when it wasn’t there , and a lack of accuracy wh

Cossell wasn't saying the entire offense was one read but that doesn't matter.  He did specifically say they had to scheme around Mariota's limitations and he specifically said one of the ways they di

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I don’t have to read the entirety of your post. I obviously wasn’t talking about Cossell. 

Well us sharing Cossell's perspective (the reason for this thread) automatically attaches it to him.

I don't believe other QBs have a similar "simplified offense" to Mariota. And it's obvious Cossell doesn't either, someone who's smarter than us when it comes to analyzing QBs.

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Here's what unfortunately sets them apart from Mariota in my opinion.

Arm strength and aggressiveness downfield. Especially in Goff. This is big from a play-action QB. Allows for tougher throws and more aggressive chunk plays.

With Mariota it just seems like it has to be heavily schemed and wide open to happen. Goff and Dak routinely pull the trigger to the sideline.

With Mariota it's always seams and crossers.

This is a legitimate criticism and I don't know really know that he can better at it.  It speaks to his arm strength or lack therefore.

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Here's what unfortunately sets them apart from Mariota in my opinion.

Arm strength and aggressiveness downfield. Especially in Goff. This is big from a play-action QB. Allows for tougher throws and more aggressive chunk plays.

With Mariota it just seems like it has to be heavily schemed and wide open to happen. Goff and Dak routinely pull the trigger to the sideline.

With Mariota it's always seams and crossers.

Yep. This is a real source of the problem with MM behind center. He’s made for a more open offense, but he’s simply inconsistent when it isn’t PA. I would like to see them open things up and run PA from 11 and from shotgun to try it out. If you’re going to keep him behind center might as well find out what you have. 

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m not talking about this game. I was speaking specifically about games like Dallas last year where Mariota has no run game and was consistently in 3rd and +9. 

It was really impressive when he fumbled the ball several times and missed Davis in the end zone for the easiest TD ever

Just now, rns90 said:

This is a legitimate criticism and I don't know really know that he can better at it.  It speaks to his arm strength or lack therefore.

I've realized in watching Mariota compared to other QBs of less experience that arm strength and attitude allow you to get away with bad mechanics, core etc.

Because he doesn't have that his room for error is much lower in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Yep. This is a real source of the problem with MM behind center. He’s made for a more open offense, but he’s simply inconsistent when it isn’t PA. I would like to see them open things up and run PA from 11 and from shotgun to try it out. If you’re going to keep him behind center might as well find out what you have. 

I'm honestly hoping, if we go after a QB, that arm strength is a big factor for us.

We have a horse at running back and some big receivers. We need a QB that can sling it if Mariota doesn't work.

A "simplified" QB can succeed in today's NFL, but if you don't have the strength to throw from any spot you're severely limited as a starter.

I've never seen a QB that has to square up to throw with velocity as much as Mariota right now. We have all the young signal callers breaking that rule with ease.

Edited by big2033

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Then I don’t think you’re right. Dak and Goff play well with a lead. They crumble when they’re forced to do straight drop backs. 

You're saying those guys have never had a better game than Mariota's Dallas game last year?  Dak's last game he threw 4tds and had a passer rating of 158.  When is the last time Mariota did that?

Edited by Justafan

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

You're saying those guys have never had a better game than Mariota's Dallas game last year?  Dak's last game he threw 4tds and had a passer rating of 158.  When is the last time Mariota did that?

That's kind of another problem (re: Mariota), he rarely has these games which are pretty much commonplace in the modern NFL.  It's like an average NFL passing game gets bumped up to some pantheon of greatness here.

31 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I’m discussing a very specific function of a QB play: when they’re constantly behind in down and distance and forced to drop back in 3rd and long. I’m not talking about overall game play.