Cosell on Victory Over Browns

Jonboy

20 hours ago, big2033 said:

It's amazing how you guys spin this stuff ... 

It seems to happen quite often both ways. Smith called the play that had the highest probability of scoring a TD. That play is almost impossible to defend near the goal line if executed perfectly (which it was). The fact that it was one read shouldn't be the defining criteria as to whether it was a good play or bad play.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No...it's not be silly with every freaking thing.  There are plenty of routes where there is only one receiver in goal line formations.  It was a heavy package and the design of the play was to make t

Derrick Mason discusses this on 102.5 the game this morning.. he pointed out Mariota ‘s flaws including lack of a consistent platform, feeling pressure when it wasn’t there , and a lack of accuracy wh

Cossell wasn't saying the entire offense was one read but that doesn't matter.  He did specifically say they had to scheme around Mariota's limitations and he specifically said one of the ways they di

1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

Probably a better OC than a HC.  But certainly not horrific.  Did a decent job here.

As for the one read stuff I'm not sure people aren't misunderstanding what good QBs do.  The important reads are before the ball is snapped.  Guys like Brady don't scan the field as much as they have a good idea where they are going based on the routes and match ups compared to what he sees the defense doing before the snap.  You rarely see Brady hold the ball very long.  At the snap he knows already who he expects is going to be open.  He may look off a S (or read a S) or something but then gets the ball out almost as fast as he hits the last step in his drop back.  His OL doesn't have to hold blocks for more than 3 seconds.  If you can fool him and/or cover up his initial ready he becomes more pedestrian.  The Eagles did it when they got the game winning sack and we did it when we played him last year.  Mariota looks terrific when he is confident where he is going and plants and throws.  If he is hesitant he looks pathetic most of the time especially if he doesn't have a running lane.  If he does get a pass off it is often off balance with poor footwork.

Throwing off the back foot takes more arm strength which I think MM struggles with. It could very well be due to lingering past injuries but I don't know enough about it to definitively say that .

23 minutes ago, big2033 said:

It remains to be seen but that's the way it's always been in his time here outside of his rookie year where things were a disaster ... was it not? We've blamed it on a couple of things or people, but ultimately we keep playing the same style with Mariota at QB.

As you’ve said before, there are always going to be issues, ol injuries, drops, injuries etc.....

I didn’t hear people making excuses for Mayfield and he’s got like 10 starts 

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

As you’ve said before, there are always going to be issues, ol injuries, drops, injuries etc.....

Mayfield def gets an excuse for his game. He couldn’t handle and keep composure due to inexperience.

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Problem is you tend to just turn a blind eye to possible reasons for Mariota not developing, stick your head in the sand, and keep repeating the same ol’ tired “it’s just excuses” mantra. 

Everuthing isnt black and white, duder. 

2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I agree.  Plus the play calling for this game put the whole game on his shoulders even with the OL issues.  They should have mixed in more of a running game (Chubb is pretty good and also capable of ripping long ones).  Even when they got behind.  Running the ball doesn't take that much time off the clock if you are in hurry up anyway.  

Yeah Kitchens was brutal lol. I’ll never forget that 3rd and 1. Did he expect the titans to think it was going to be a run? He hadn’t ran the ball all game. Was such a dumb pass too. A long developing play with deep routes lol.

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Problem is you tend to just turn a blind eye to possible reasons for Mariota not developing, stick your head in the sand, and keep repeating the same ol’ tired “it’s just excuses” mantra. 

Everuthing isnt black and white, duder. 

It’s year 5, it doesn’t even matter why 

even though it's year 5 I don't think it's over for MM.

Titans are trying to be the Pats in the sense that it's a game plan week in and week out and the players job is to execute it.

I think that if he stays healthy he may be able to do just that.  He can be a cog in the machine so to speak.

He's fuckin 25..a year older than Mayfield.  That kinda shocked me when I heard someone say that the other day.

2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

It seems to happen quite often both ways. Smith called the play that had the highest probability of scoring a TD. That play is almost impossible to defend near the goal line if executed perfectly (which it was). The fact that it was one read shouldn't be the defining criteria as to whether it was a good play or bad play.

I agree but that wasn't Cosell's point.

26 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

So the OC developed a game plan that played to the strengths of the players he had available and people want to bitch that the QB has problems when throwing from the pocket? Who says the QB has to throw from the pocket to win a SB? All the previous SB winning coaches we have on this forum?

Mariota on this board is comparable to fighting a gay dude.  If you win, you were supposed to but if you lose, you are the worst fighter in the world.  

Edited by Righteous

59 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

So the OC developed a game plan that played to the strengths of the players he had available and people want to bitch that the QB has problems when throwing from the pocket? Who says the QB has to throw from the pocket to win a SB? All the previous SB winning coaches we have on this forum?

Mariota stans:

"He is great he's just not healthy doesn't have the players!"

Analysts point out his struggles regardless of health and weapons  ...

"Well who said we needed him to be great? You guys are such haters!"

Stop moving the goal posts. If you're willing to accept Mariota has been playing like an average QB at best and stop blaming others then everyone is square.

But that's not happening, it's the excuses after excuses that are more annoying than anything.

Some are even making excuses for Cosell's actual opinion. Like ... enough is enough.

Edited by big2033

42 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Mariota on this board is comparable to fighting a gay dude.  If you win, you were supposed to but if you lose, you are the worst fighter in the world.  

No it's comparable to everyone,- analysts/coaches/GMs - saying he's gay and none of his fan girls accepting it.

"If the women around him were just hotter he'd let loose!" You all say ... 

Or

"He's only like that because it was only guys at the party ..." 

Meanwhile he's been banging dudes regardless of his surroundings for over four years.

Just accept what he is and stop trying to spin it. 

Edited by big2033