Cosell on Victory Over Browns

Jonboy

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No...it's not be silly with every freaking thing.  There are plenty of routes where there is only one receiver in goal line formations.  It was a heavy package and the design of the play was to make t

Derrick Mason discusses this on 102.5 the game this morning.. he pointed out Mariota ‘s flaws including lack of a consistent platform, feeling pressure when it wasn’t there , and a lack of accuracy wh

Cossell wasn't saying the entire offense was one read but that doesn't matter.  He did specifically say they had to scheme around Mariota's limitations and he specifically said one of the ways they di

The limitations towards the passing game is not in Mariota. It's in the OL. The whole design of attack that Smith incorporated into the gameplan against the Browns was to counter their defensive line. It's not because Mariota struggles with going through his progressions and other BS. We tried one time to allow Matiota to drop back without giving Kelly any help and Garrett completely toasted him. 

28 minutes ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

The limitations towards the passing game is not in Mariota. It's in the OL. The whole design of attack that Smith incorporated into the gameplan against the Browns was to counter their defensive line. It's not because Mariota struggles with going through his progressions and other BS. We tried one time to allow Matiota to drop back without giving Kelly any help and Garrett completely toasted him. 

It's Mularkey, it's the protection, it's the dropped passes, it's the ulnar nerve, it's LaFleur 

Lewan played last year and they still had MM throw 60% of his passes at or behind the line and the team ran the ball on 1st down more than anyone but one team

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It's Mularkey, it's the protection, it's the dropped passes, it's the ulnar nerve, it's LaFleur 

Lewan played last year and they still had MM throw 60% of his passes at or behind the line and the team ran the ball on 1st down more than anyone but one team

He was hurt all but a quarter and a half last year. If Gabbert didnt get hurt Mariota wouldn't have been playing through his injury. All of those excuses are valid. I don't know how but this franchise has struggled to develop qbs. That's not news. Neither is having one starter for all 16 games. Tell me when was the last time we had one starting qb for all 16 games?

Edited by Pray_iv_m3rcy

1 hour ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

He was hurt all but a quarter and a half last year. If Gabbert didnt get hurt Mariota wouldn't have been playing through his injury. All of those excuses are valid. I don't know how but this franchise has struggled to develop qbs. That's not news. Neither is having one starter for all 16 games. Tell me when was the last time we had one starting qb for all 16 games?

And the year before when he had basically the same level of production?  This preseason and game 1 where we saw the exact same flaws?  What is the excuse there?

It's just silly at this point.  You can nail most of these guys within a year or two and tell if they're going to be good or not.  You can already see some of Kyler Murray's flaws after one game.  Guys like Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers made mistakes early but you could tell almost immediately that they would be good.  

I've been as guilty of it as anyone but the simple truth is none of us saw the flaws in Marcus because we didn't want to see it.  We buried our heads in the sand and hoped he would get better.  He didn't.  

4 hours ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

The limitations towards the passing game is not in Mariota. It's in the OL. The whole design of attack that Smith incorporated into the gameplan against the Browns was to counter their defensive line.

This might be true. I can see the argument that the coaches did incorporate more 1-read plays because of their fear of the OL vs. the Browns defense, choosing to be conservative game 1 and not take risks (Vrabel is all about disciplined, mistake-free football), and that the gameplan was not an indictment on Mariota's ability to read the field.

But in order to prove this, Mariota needs to come out and command the offense. Indy has a solid D, but they aren't monsters that we're afraid of. There can't be excuses for all 16 games this season for why Mariota wasn't asked to do certain things on offense. If we go 16 games not needing Mariota to do anything other than simple gameplans combined with running for first downs, then he doesn't need to be our QB.

Edited by cenj

35 minutes ago, cenj said:

This might be true. I can see the argument that the coaches did incorporate more 1-read plays because of their fear of the OL vs. the Browns defense, choosing to be conservative game 1 and not take risks (Vrabel is all about disciplined, mistake-free football), and that the gameplan was not an indictment on Mariota's ability to read the field.

But in order to prove this, Mariota needs to come out and command the offense. Indy has a solid D, but they aren't monsters that we're afraid of. There can't be excuses for all 16 games this season for why Mariota wasn't asked to do certain things on offense. If we go 16 games not needing Mariota to do anything other than simple gameplans combined with running for first downs, then he doesn't need to be our QB.

KC ran play action as much as we did.  Seems like a reasonable approach against a team with a stout D line and 0 discipline like Cleveland and Jacksonville

54 minutes ago, cenj said:

I mostly agree with this take.  The only issue I really have at the moment is that some are taking it and running with the gameplan of the first game as to what will happen the remainder of the year.  That remains to be seen, but it seems some little things (like our o-line not being fully intact against a great front seven affecting the gameplan)are being either overlooked or not really taken into consideration.

And that is about as silly as thinking Mariota accomplished more in the game than he did.  He was solid against what was supposed to be a good defense.

35 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I mostly agree with this take.  The only issue I really have at the moment is that some are taking it and running with the gameplan of the first game as to what will happen the remainder of the year.  That remains to be seen, but it seems some little things (like our o-line not being fully intact against a great front seven affecting the gameplan)are being either overlooked or not really taken into consideration.

And that is about as silly as thinking Mariota accomplished more in the game than he did.  He was solid against what was supposed to be a good defense.

It remains to be seen but that's the way it's always been in his time here outside of his rookie year where things were a disaster ... was it not? We've blamed it on a couple of things or people, but ultimately we keep playing the same style with Mariota at QB.

Edited by big2033

3 hours ago, Nash said:

Derrick Mason discusses this on 102.5 the game this morning.. he pointed out Mariota ‘s flaws including lack of a consistent platform, feeling pressure when it wasn’t there , and a lack of accuracy when he doesn’t step and drive the ball on his throws.. he also mentioned the fact that on the play to Humphries, he stayed with him , while other receivers were open ie locked onto a receiver.. Mariota has a good performance , but to be great all of these things have to get better

If we're all honest, we have to agree with some of the issues he mentions.  Most importantly, I agree with the last part of what Mason says and believe if he can stay on the field, MM's game will improve to the level of QB will win games for us and that we'll want to extend.