nine

Mariota - 2019 week 1

Recommended Posts

IF we can continue to hit some screens and other quick hits that make defenses pay for selling out to stop the run or pressure Mariota, then it will loosen things up. Smith called a great game, and it was dictated as much by our OL and the Browns DL as it was by Mariota. We'll see if we can maintain it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tomachek said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but almost half of Mariota's attempts he was hit/sacked/under duress.

4B3B66C8-4F82-4408-AFAF-11A947909949.png

 

Cosell said it was 47%, which aligns with this, but the TR experts blew it off as not accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What percentage of those defensive pressures were due to the OL and what percentage were due to the quarterback?

 

Watson has a horrible OL but also the way he plays often generates pressure on himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on how they define pressure but at the same time, the team won because of the explosive plays and the 4th quarter TO's/play action passes when Cleveland was playing run.  Some of the other stats - like pressure rate, sack %, and 3rd down conversions were not very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tomachek said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but almost half of Mariota's attempts he was hit/sacked/under duress.

4B3B66C8-4F82-4408-AFAF-11A947909949.png

Good things happen for opponents, when they pressure Marcus, granted 2 olinemen were missing but even fully loaded , they came for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewan is light years better than Kelly and Kelly was trying to block one of the best edge rushers in the league.  In fact Lewan, as solid as he usually is in pass pro is a better run blocker which is going to help both the run and pass.  If we are running well the defense won't be able to pin their ears back as much.  Would love to have Davis crack the lineup as a slight upgrade this year at RG and get some experience.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TitanTez said:

Good things happen for opponents, when they pressure Marcus, granted 2 olinemen were missing but even fully loaded , they came for him.

Good things happen for any team that gets pressure consistently on the opposing QB.

See: Brady last year against the Titans.

See: Brady against Denver a few years ago.

Don't give them time, and don't give them space and watch them struggle.

It's an old formula that's consistently successful when executed properly.

It's even more successful when the defense manages to combine it with good coverage in the secondary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Good things happen for any team that gets pressure consistently on the opposing QB.

See: Brady last year against the Titans.

See: Brady against Denver a few years ago.

Don't give them time, and don't give them space and watch them struggle.

It's an old formula that's consistently successful when executed properly.

It's even more successful when the defense manages to combine it with good coverage in the secondary.

Duckie, He could make them pay by sensing the blitz and running straight ahead first then to the side,VY used to punish teams that way but he had presence.Marcus is a better passer in the short to mid range, VY was better at the deep ball. The weakness of the blitz is qb that picks it up early and attacks it.

A few big runs instead of sacks will make them think twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TitanTez said:

Duckie, He could make them pay by sensing the blitz and running straight ahead first then to the side,VY used to punish teams that way but he had presence.Marcus is a better passer in the short to mid range, VY was better at the deep ball. The weakness of the blitz is qb that picks it up early and attacks it.

A few big runs instead of sacks will make them think twice.

Like Brady did to the Titans last season?

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Titans279 said:

What percentage of those defensive pressures were due to the OL and what percentage were due to the quarterback?

 

Watson has a horrible OL but also the way he plays often generates pressure on himself.

 

Many of the pressures came from blitzing DBs or delayed LB blitzes.  They weren’t  anyone’s fault, per se;  the defense just sent more pass rushers than the Titans had blockers. 

 

It’s an aggressive, calculated risk by the defense:  they create an additional pass rusher by taking a guy out of coverage...so the pass rush is strengthened  but coverage is compromised.  

 

The first few plays of the film illustrate both the strengths and vulnerabilities of this approach.   On the first play, Mariota has an unblocked LB chasing him almost immediately, forcing him to avoid the sack before making any reads.  He ends up finding Delanie for a short gain...but whatever the initial read was supposed to be, the immediate pressure forced him to abandon it.  

 

His very next pass was the 50-yarder to AJB.  The Browns sent the house and end up with 6 guys rushing the passer and two more LBs near the LOS....which leaves AJB in single coverage.  They were betting that the additional pressure would force a sack or bad throw...but Marcus got the ball out, which resulted in a big play.  

 

His next pass was a short crossing route to AJB.  Instead of blitzing, the Browns kept their LBs at home....and they corralled AJB after only 2-3 yards.  

 

AJB’s other huge gain came on a somewhat similar (albeit slightly deeper) crossing route.  But at the snap, the Browns’ LBs rushed forward to defend the run.   When AJB catches the ball, there’s nobody there to stop him....and he’s off to the races.

 

Pressure isn’t necessarily a terrible thing for a QB;  it’s all in how he responds

 

. In 2018 Marcus struggled badly under pressure and produced a ton of negative plays.    He was much better at handling it last week and was largely productive.  He also had a handful of negative plays...but no glaring mistakes.

 

(The use of play action was obviously a huge influence on the defense as well...but that’s a whole separate conversation.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.