nine

Mariota - 2019 week 1

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

You're right about taking sacks but I think if this game happened mid season 2018 it might be close to double digit sacks again. Cossells show say the Browns were able to pressure him on 47% of his dropbacks which was 3rd highest in the NFL. Kelly was absolutely terrible. He still needs to diagnose corner blitzes better but I saw at least a little improvement

Only 1 of the sacks occurred prior to 2.5 seconds (the safety blitz) and 20% of our attempts were screens which generally invite pressure , so I'm not sure that I'd put too much stock into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

You're right about taking sacks but I think if this game happened mid season 2018 it might be close to double digit sacks again. Cossells show say the Browns were able to pressure him on 47% of his dropbacks which was 3rd highest in the NFL. Kelly was absolutely terrible. He still needs to diagnose corner blitzes better but I saw at least a little improvement

 

The pressure the Browns got has been overstated. A lot of it was on playaction which isn't on the OL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

The pressure the Browns got has been overstated. A lot of it was on playaction which isn't on the OL.

This is true, but there was a slight improvement in his footwork and he didn't drop his eyes quite as quickly as he did last year (not that it could have gotten worse). He also tooke a few licks on throws. It was better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

You're right about taking sacks but I think if this game happened mid season 2018 it might be close to double digit sacks again. Cossells show say the Browns were able to pressure him on 47% of his dropbacks which was 3rd highest in the NFL. Kelly was absolutely terrible. He still needs to diagnose corner blitzes better but I saw at least a little improvement

But we all know the experts at TR are more trustworthy than Cosell when it comes to judging O-Line performance.

And the experts at TR are saying the O-Line played fine.

/sarc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

This is true, but there was a slight improvement in his footwork and he didn't drop his eyes quite as quickly as he did last year (not that it could have gotten worse). He also tooke a few licks on throws. It was better.

He did step up in the pocket and kept his eyes up. There was also one play where Kelly absolutely whiffed on Garrett, but Mariota avoided the sack and made something of it , as you'd expect that someone with his athleticism would.  But then there are several other plays where it feels like he gets tracked down fairly easily by someone who really shouldn't be able to pursue him.  He evaded two all pros against Jacksonville and stiff armed another to get a first down, but then he can't shake plodding DL on other plays.  He doesn't seem nearly as elusive enough on a consistent basis as he should be 

Edited by abc2330

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

The interesting thing about Murray is that he greatly declined in pass pro his last season here. At the conclusion of the season, Henry was rated higher than him. Yet no one cared or noticed, and the Henry is awful at pass pro narrative continued. In his prime though, Murray was indeed a stud at pass pro. 

In his recent interview with Titans Amie he said he spent the offseason concentrating on his pass protection and catching the football.

So even he wasn't satisfied with how he was doing, and I doubt the coaches were either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

In his recent interview with Titans Amie he said he spent the offseason concentrating on his pass protection and catching the football.

So even he wasn't satisfied with how he was doing, and I doubt the coaches were either.

He's never satisfied with any aspect of his game. It's one of his best traits as a pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Yes. It's like the only play people bring up from that season. I get that it really stood out but that was one of like 2 or 3 bad plays he had in pass pro that year. PFF has never rated Henry lower than average in pass pro in his entire career. 

I could bring up many more....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, japan said:

I could bring up many more....

I doubt it. If you could you would've done so from memory. 

Edited by Mythos27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

Right because leading the league in usage of 12 and 13 personnel last week had nothing to do with it

 

It's always the details that conveniently get left out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.