nine

Mariota - 2019 week 1

@nine The pass to Sharpe is interesting. Romo wasn't great last week but I have to think if it was a miscommunication he would have called it out. That being said I wish the Nashville media didn't suck so bad. All one of had to do was ask the question about whether it was QB/WR miscommunication or not. 

23 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

Regardless of what sharpe did on that route still seems like Mariota should have adjusted..he had clean pocket and was looking right at Sharpe...huge area to throw to also

Maybe he should have, but that seems like a nitpick in such a small frame of time. 

One big thing that stands out to me is just how much they have Mariota on the move.  I don't remember ML or Robiskie doing this many rollouts, especially off PA.  It wasn't always effective so I'm not saying it's good or bad, just something that stands out.  

I do like the way Smith tries to set up the defense to get them to bite on a play they've seen before that looks the same but then goes another direction.  He does that a few times and when it was successful resulted in big plays.  When it failed, it was usually a lack of execution and not play design, at least that's how it looked to me with the limited knowledge of the plays we have.  

3 minutes ago, titaninpgh said:

This is amazing. I hope we have this every week. 

I wasn’t able to watch the game live. The comments on here made me think Mariota had a total meltdown. Instead, I saw an efficient game manager who missed a couple throws that Watson/Wentz/Goff would have hit. Vrabel even said he missed a couple throws (and obvi the sharpe throw was one, no point in arguing otherwise). That is basically best-case scenario for Mariota this season. It’s not grounds for an emergent benching. 

The play action game involved a lot of roll outs and moving pockets. Mariota threw while sliding laterally or on the move several times. Generally speaking he hit his receivers in the hands. 

What happened to Dion Lewis’s shake? He looks like he’s lost it. Can’t make anyone miss. 

Are you trying to say that those QBs don't miss throws?

Also, watching it live, I didn't realize how many condensed formations they used.  It seemed like it was more spread out than it was because of all the motion.  There's two plays that stand out where they run 4 WR (Smith is out wide) and 5 WR.  They run the plays consecutively, trying to spread the Browns out who are only rushing 4.  The first play, Mariota has to get it out super quick because pressure is coming and the second results in a sack.

This line would never hold up in a spread type 3-4-5 WR offense against a decent line.  

I expect to see a lot of TE action until Lewan comes back.  

The big AJ Brown pass (the first one) at about the 14 minute mark was a great all around offensive effort.  Probably the best all around execution I've seen to this point in the tape.  The Oline holds up well.  Brown runs a great route.  Mariota throws a great ball.  The key to the play though, and I never thought I would be saying this, was an outstanding block by Henry who stayed in to pass block.  Dude deserves some credit because he was ATROCIOUS at this his first year or two in the league but he's gotten much better at it and Mariota never would have gotten this ball off if he whiffed the block here.  

5 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Also, watching it live, I didn't realize how many condensed formations they used.  It seemed like it was more spread out than it was because of all the motion.

That's what happens when receivers aren't schemed to be burrowed in each others buttholes at the end of their respective routes.

5 minutes ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

This is what I wish everybody would do before giving their initial analysis after a game or simply glancing at the boxscore. 

This happens literally every week.

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

The big AJ Brown pass (the first one) at about the 14 minute mark was a great all around offensive effort.  Probably the best all around execution I've seen to this point in the tape.  The Oline holds up well.  Brown runs a great route.  Mariota throws a great ball.  The key to the play though, and I never thought I would be saying this, was an outstanding block by Henry who stayed in to pass block.  Dude deserves some credit because he was ATROCIOUS at this his first year or two in the league but he's gotten much better at it and Mariota never would have gotten this ball off if he whiffed the block here.  

Henry actually said that his focus in the offseason was pass blocking and catching.