Mariota - 2019 week 1

nine

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coaches' film of Mariota's dropbacks vs Cleveland, week 1.     (There are a few editing hiccups here and there, which are my fault.  Finding and fixing them would take a littl

Yep.  Marcus missed him high....that's a throw he has to hit.      I was simply pointing it out after discussing how Davis was held on the other play, where Marcus made an excellent throw an

Not much time this morning, but a couple points:   There was a lot of talk about the throw he missed to Sharpe that should have been a TD....everyone agrees it was one of Marcus' worst throw

Posted Images

10 hours ago, oldschool said:

The pressure the Browns got has been overstated. A lot of it was on playaction which isn't on the OL.

I don't think anyone is blaming the O-line, per se;   there were obviously a few issues here and there, but did an okay job overall.

But the fact is, the Browns got frequent and consistent pressure on Mariota, especially early in the game.    Go back and watch his attempts in the first quarter:   on most of them, he's he's hit immediately after releasing the ball.    He was sacked twice and had a couple plays where he was forced to get rid of it before the play could develop.

I'm not blaming the O-line....but pressure was definitely an issue.  Marcus wasn't great....but he handled it much better in this game as compared to last year.

I’d give the coaches credit for utilizing playaction and sprint roll outs to get MM away from the pressure with clear decisions 

This will become an issue when the Titans are in a must throw situation, the wheels have fallen off in the past. I’m interested to see how they handle this 

12 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

The interesting thing about Murray is that he greatly declined in pass pro his last season here. At the conclusion of the season, Henry was rated higher than him. Yet no one cared or noticed, and the Henry is awful at pass pro narrative continued. In his prime though, Murray was indeed a stud at pass pro. 

I just saw him whiff a couple of blocks that were so eggregious it will be forever how I see him.  It's so hard to unsee some of that stuff.  

Derrick Henry has all year to prove himself as an all around RB. He looks to be well on his way. As long as he doesn't have a big down turn he's going to force the Titans to either pay him, franchise him or get paid by someone else. 

Regardless of how, who or why he struggled to produce until late last year he's doing it now. 

This offense would be dead without him

59 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I’d give the coaches credit for utilizing playaction and sprint roll outs to get MM away from the pressure with clear decisions 

This will become an issue when the Titans are in a must throw situation, the wheels have fallen off in the past. I’m interested to see how they handle this 

Cmon, they are capable of it. The Eagles game proved that last year.

16 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Cmon, they are capable of it. The Eagles game proved that last year.

You bring up one example? In that game the Titans were down 17-3 in the 3rd quarter. It was really just the 4th quarter and OT when the passing game excelled and the Eagles secondary was decimated. The Titans still needed to convert 3 long 4th downs. This is your example? 

I think I'll go by the massive sample size that says otherwise, the way the coaches scheme around MM, the analysts like Cossel and the NFL coaches in Sando's article that say "He can't do it"(execute a straight drop back passing game). 

14 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

You bring up one example? In that game the Titans were down 17-3 in the 3rd quarter. It was really just the 4th quarter and OT when the passing game excelled and the Eagles secondary was decimated. The Titans still needed to convert 3 long 4th downs. This is your example? 

I think I'll go by the massive sample size that says otherwise, the way the coaches scheme around MM, the analysts like Cossel and the NFL coaches in Sando's article that say "He can't do it"(execute a straight drop back passing game). 

I’m not saying they can exclusively play like that. I’m just saying if needed it can be done.

1 minute ago, TheBukafax said:

I’m not saying they can exclusively play like that. I’m just saying if needed it can be done.

No, you gave one example in a game where it was done in the 4th quarter and OT against a depleted secondary. 

It also happened in the Colts game, Ravens game and NE playoff game and many more examples.

There is also a massive sample size where you can see MM's stats with playaction and without playaction. Without playaction his numbers are terrible over 4 years

26 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

No, you gave one example in a game where it was done in the 4th quarter and OT against a depleted secondary. 

It also happened in the Colts game, Ravens game and NE playoff game and many more examples.

There is also a massive sample size where you can see MM's stats with playaction and without playaction. Without playaction his numbers are terrible over 4 years

Yes? I’m just saying it isn’t impossible to do. There is some semblance of a chance that if need be, they can play catch up via the pass.