Mariota - 2019 week 1

nine

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coaches' film of Mariota's dropbacks vs Cleveland, week 1.     (There are a few editing hiccups here and there, which are my fault.  Finding and fixing them would take a littl

Yep.  Marcus missed him high....that's a throw he has to hit.      I was simply pointing it out after discussing how Davis was held on the other play, where Marcus made an excellent throw an

Not much time this morning, but a couple points:   There was a lot of talk about the throw he missed to Sharpe that should have been a TD....everyone agrees it was one of Marcus' worst throw

Posted Images

One thing that stands out here is the zone blocking, leading the defense one way and then Mariota rolling out to the opposite direction.  Next two plays, gap blocking traditional shotgun formation.  They had a real tough time blocking with five on four straight up and even on the rollouts off PA, Mariota had pressure way too fast.  Browns defense was coming hard early, which I think everyone expected.  

Next play, they tried another zone block to the left while Marcus rolls out to the right off PA but the Browns picked up on it and blitzed with a DB.  Marcus tried to get it out but couldn't connect with Henry.  If it hadn't been such a quick play, that's probably a sack.  

Back to gap blocking.  Immediate pressure.  Mariota has to take off and run for it.  

Zone block to the right, PA rollout to the left.  Browns LBs reacted well and came in quick.  Gotta give the Browns credit here.  This was a solid strategy to try and buy the QB time and they adjusted early and well to it after just a few plays.  This is actually a knock on Arthur Smith because when I watched it live, it looked like he was doing a lot of different looks but it's basically the same stuff at the LOS with different routes.  To be fair, I'm not looking at the throws or even the routes all that much and instead focused on the Oline.  

Next play, PA off zone blocking again but Mariota doesn't roll out this time.  Browns blitz again and Mariota has to get rid of it before he wants to.  

Next play back to gap blocking.  DW puts a hell of a block on Myles Garrett before dipping out into space.  PI on Humphries.  

Next play gap blocking.  Saffold is beat quickly but Mariota gets it out to DW on a quick in-route.  This is the best play I've seen from Mariota up to this point other than his one time he took off and ran.  He stands in the pocket and delivers a good ball.  

Gap Blocking.  Max protection but it's a slow developing route without a lot of options.  The Browns cover well and Marcus delivers a pretty ugly ball to CD even though he has plenty of time in the pocket here.  Not a big fan of the play design on this one.  

Next play is a run.  Not sure if that's a glitch.  Gap blocking.  Henry for about four off the b gap.  

Next play.  Traditional blocking.  Line holds up well.  Plenty of time.  Marcus's throw is off.  

This got me to 7:47 on the tape.  All I have time for this morning.  Sorry fellas.  Hope that was help to someone as they were going through this thing.  

I like watching these because you can see the formations and personnel. 

They really did use a lot of heavy sets early and threw from them. 

Kelly was absolutely terrible.

They used Humphries multiple times to help Kelly chip and block on the RDE.

Jonnu played inline some, I think he can be an effective weapon if they use him

The Browns blitzed CB and S off the edge as much as I can ever recall seeing in a game.  Great adjustments by Smith to counter this with the screens.  On a couple of those screens (one to Lewis and one to Walker) we left big plays on the field due to execution.

Mariota’s decision making and ball placement was actually very good for the most part.  He missed on a couple of throws, including a key one to Sharpe, but hard to tell if that is an inaccurate pass or a timing issue.

The greater concern is Mariota scrambling left when the pocket doesn’t hold up.  That never ends well.

You can’t overstate the value of having Delanie back in the lineup.  You can see the connection they have and it makes a massive difference to Mariota’s game. 

21 minutes ago, nine said:

Not much time this morning, but a couple points:

There was a lot of talk about the throw he missed to Sharpe that should have been a TD

Do you know the time stamp on that one? 

21 minutes ago, nine said:

My patience with Dion Lewis is wearing very thin. 

If Lewis doesn't step it up quick, you have to wonder whether Dawkins or McNichols (both of whom are currently free agents) might actually an upgrade.

Flighty Mouse. Dion Lewis is nearing uselessness.

I'd really like to see them go back to McNichols if they do make a move.

13 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Do you know the time stamp on that one? 

Play starts at 12:55 ..... Marcus' final throw in the first half.

Also...for anyone who might not realize this, you can quickly jump/replay YT videos in 5 second intervals with the left/right arrow buttons on your keyboard, and play/pause with your space bar.   Much quicker and easier than trying to use a mouse.

47 minutes ago, Carpy said:

The Browns blitzed CB and S off the edge as much as I can ever recall seeing in a game.  Great adjustments by Smith to counter this with the screens.  On a couple of those screens (one to Lewis and one to Walker) we left big plays on the field due to execution.

Mariota’s decision making and ball placement was actually very good for the most part.  He missed on a couple of throws, including a key one to Sharpe, but hard to tell if that is an inaccurate pass or a timing issue.

The greater concern is Mariota scrambling left when the pocket doesn’t hold up.  That never ends well.

You can’t overstate the value of having Delanie back in the lineup.  You can see the connection they have and it makes a massive difference to Mariota’s game. 

They did this to counter the Playaction of the Titans and its something more and more teams are doing as the percentage of playaction plays increases throughout the league. Kelly was overmatched against Garrett for sure but if you take out the play action plays where the Browns got pressure the OL held up well against a very good front. 

47 minutes ago, nine said:

Not much time this morning, but a couple points:

There was a lot of talk about the throw he missed to Sharpe that should have been a TD....everyone agrees it was one of Marcus' worst throws of the day.    After review, I suspect that play was a QB/WR miscommunication:  Sharp appears to be running a post pattern and is looking back at the QB....but Marcus throws to corner;  Sharpe sees it and scrambles to adjust.   Watch Sharpe's cut....arms flailing in the air, and it almost looks like he slips or stumbles a bit.  That's not a planned cut....that's an "oh shit" moment that happens when the QB and WR aren't on the same page.

My patience with Dion Lewis is wearing very thin.   I've already accepted the fact that he's borderline useless as a runner, but he has value in the passing game.    Not in this game, he didn't.   His drop on the Titans' first possession likely cost the team a TD, as it was a perfectly executed screen with three blockers out front against only two defenders.   He also committed a false start later in the game....oops.  His two most significant plays were a 6-yard run and a 7-yard reception...solid plays, but neither resulted in a first down.   Aside from two solid plays, he was utterly ineffective as a runner and as a receiver with two significant mistakes.   If Lewis doesn't step it up quick, you have to wonder whether Dawkins or McNichols (both of whom are currently free agents) might actually an upgrade.

IMO, Mariota's best throw of the day was a deep out to Davis....but Davis got mugged on the play (which is obvious on the film) for a defensive holding penalty that was declined in favor of a roughing-the-passer penalty. But Marcus' throw was beautiful....it would have been a big play if not for Davis being grabbed and held up.

(It's also worth noting that Davis was blatantly held on the play where Mariota threw high and Davis couldn't haul it in.   After the play, Davis immediately looks at the official expecting a flag.....and after re-watching the play, he was absolutely right.   The defensive holding was pretty blatant....and the official simply missed it.)

Let the excuses begin. Who care of Davis was held on the missed throw in the 3rd? He was wide open and the ball was high. 

2 minutes ago, nine said:

Play starts at 12:55 ..... Marcus' final throw in the first half.

Thanks.

Mariota may have off throws at times, but does he really miss that badly? If he was wrong on which route he thought Sharpe should be running then that doesn't really have anything to do with his accuracy as much as it's more just a brain fart. I don't really know who is at fault there, though I have my suspicion.

10 minutes ago, nine said:

Yep.  Marcus missed him high.    I was simply pointing it out after discussing how Davis was held on the other play, where Marcus made an excellent throw and got zero credit.

Definitely a nice development to see Mariota looking to pass when he escapes the pocket now.

14 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Thanks.

Mariota may have off throws at times, but does he really miss that badly? If he was wrong on which route he thought Sharpe should be running then that doesn't really have anything to do with his accuracy as much as it's more just a brain fart. I don't really know who is at fault there, though I have my suspicion.

of course you do. Grounded in nothing

Edited by oldschool