Is Art Smith More Mularkey or LaFleur?

tgo

14 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

Mariota sold that screen big time. Saffold pancaked the only guy that had a shot at blowing the play up and Davis sealed the deal at the end of the run. Smith's play action gameplan made it easy to sell the rollout to the defense and they bought it hook line and sinker. It was a thing of beauty.

The play design was perfect. The entire line sold out for the run to Henry, then Mariota shows them the ball like come on guys don’t be fooled so easily! Boom Henry wide open. Just an absolutely perfect play call. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's definitely more Mularkey and that's a good thing. Mularkey's run scheme was brilliant and very intricately designed, it was his passing game that left a lot to be desired. Smith seems to be able

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at. Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiski

As for the 75yd screen pass, they used the same play in the first qtr. The difference was that in the first qtr, Henry ran through the line and got caught up, hence Mariota overthrew him to avoid the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TF_Titan said:

The Eagles offensive game plan was brilliant last year. But ML was very up and down overall. The jury is still out on Smith, but game one goes on the "plus" side for sure.

The Eagles DBs were garbage in that game. Davis and company ate. I won’t say it was a bad game plan, I honestly don’t remember, but I simply don’t remember a bunch of shining moments for ML’s offense at all, even in that game. More it was a man beater WR out playing second string CBs who played man all day.

18 minutes ago, Justafan said:

The Eagles DBs were garbage in that game. Davis and company ate. I won’t say it was a bad game plan, I honestly don’t remember, but I simply don’t remember a bunch of shining moments for ML’s offense at all, even in that game. More it was a man beater WR out playing second string CBs who played man all day.

You can’t judge Lafleur’s offense at all last year because of Mariota’s elbow issue. He never really got to implement his offense. 

1 hour ago, freakingeek said:

Mariota sold that screen big time. Saffold pancaked the only guy that had a shot at blowing the play up and Davis sealed the deal at the end of the run. Smith's play action gameplan made it easy to sell the rollout to the defense and they bought it hook line and sinker. It was a thing of beauty.

Kelly was heads up too, ducking down to allow the pass over the top of him.

40 minutes ago, japan said:

You can’t judge Lafleur’s offense at all last year because of Mariota’s elbow issue. He never really got to implement his offense. 

I'll judge all I want!  I'm a judger!

In all seriousness, ML's offense put up bad production last year.  We don't know for sure what all of the causes for that are.  That's true.  What I do know is that I saw Aaron Rodgers in that system, granted against an elite defense, and he did not look like the same Aaron Rodgers i'm used to seeing.  That, on top of what I've seen of him as a Titans OC leads me to believe that my original take (that he's hot garbage) is accurate.

It's true that I made a definitive statement, so okay whatever, we don't know FOR SURE that ML stinks.  I strongly suspect it though and I haven't seen anything yet that gives me good reason to doubt what I originally thought of him.  

The Titans have been terrible at screens for at least a decade. If Art can fix that, then he deserves lots of kudos.

Henry is a monster in space, so screens seem like a very logical way to optimize his usage. He seems to break every ~2nd-3rd one for a 70+ yards  TD, so we already have a play that "pops".

The fact that effective use of screens also acts as a check on an aggressive pass rush makes it seem like we should make it a regular feature until Lewan is back...

Edited by ChemEngr79

1 hour ago, ChemEngr79 said:

The Titans have been terrible at screens for at least a decade. If Art can fix that, then he deserves lots of kudos.

Henry is a monster in space, so screens seem like a very logical way to optimize his usage. He seems to break every ~2nd-3rd one for a 70+ yards  TD, so we already have a play that "pops".

The fact that effective use of screens also acts as a check on an aggressive pass rush makes it seem like we should make it a regular feature until Lewan is back...

Plus he is so hard to tackle after he gets a head of steam up.

3 hours ago, tgo said:

I don't know whether Matt LaFleur is a good OC or not, but I do know that he wasn't a good OC for this team all things considered. 

His biggest mistake was not totally dumbing down the passing game to simple one read plays. 

6 hours ago, japan said:

He was so bad he got hired as GB HC!

He got hired in GB because everyone was looking for the next McVay, that system has proven to be successful and he came late enough in Mariota's career to not be blamed for the lack of production