Is Art Smith More Mularkey or LaFleur?

tgo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's definitely more Mularkey and that's a good thing. Mularkey's run scheme was brilliant and very intricately designed, it was his passing game that left a lot to be desired. Smith seems to be able

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at. Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiski

As for the 75yd screen pass, they used the same play in the first qtr. The difference was that in the first qtr, Henry ran through the line and got caught up, hence Mariota overthrew him to avoid the

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

You still have to be careful. 

The Titans were 2-10 on 3rd down, the running game wasn't really good before the 4th quarter and before the screen pass to Henry MM had a 60+ passer rating. 

After the Browns imploded and the Titans got the lead it was pretty easy to exploit the Browns defense selling out to stop the run with the last two TDs(which were 30+yd drives BTW).

But I think Smith will be fine if the players execute. But it's easy to go overboard 

Exactly.  Actually Mariota went from a 76 passer rating to over a 100 solely on the Henry screen pass TD.  Then to 121 on the Walker PA pass.  Then to 133 on the 2nd TD pass to Walker.  Those 3 throws went around 10 yards of distance in total air yardage.

The All 22 showed plenty of plays last year where guys were running open and either 8 threw an inaccurate ball (even on some that were completed) or he didn't throw it and either bailed from the pocket or took a sack. 

Regardless, it was one game.  You need at least a handful of games before we can make a reasonable judgement on Smith.  He's facing better defenses the next two weeks than he did in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

You still have to be careful. 

The Titans were 2-10 on 3rd down, the running game wasn't really good before the 4th quarter and before the screen pass to Henry MM had a 60+ passer rating. 

After the Browns imploded and the Titans got the lead it was pretty easy to exploit the Browns defense selling out to stop the run with the last two TDs(which were 30+yd drives BTW).

But I think Smith will be fine if the players execute. But it's easy to go overboard 

That's fair.  We'll give him a few games.  I admit, my personal negative opinion of ML shades my reaction here.  

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

Exactly.  Actually Mariota went from a 76 passer rating to over a 100 solely on the Henry screen pass TD.  Then to 121 on the Walker PA pass.  Then to 133 on the 2nd TD pass to Walker.  Those 3 throws went around 10 yards of distance in total air yardage.

The All 22 showed plenty of plays last year where guys were running open and either 8 threw an inaccurate ball (even on some that were completed) or he didn't throw it and either bailed from the pocket or took a sack. 

Regardless, it was one game.  You need at least a handful of games before we can make a reasonable judgement on Smith.  He's facing better defenses the next two weeks than he did in Cleveland.

Agree except for the last part.  I think Indy's defense is decent but the Browns had more talent and the Titans are better built to beat a team like the Colts.  The Jags are still the Jags and I don't think they have the fortitude to hang tough against a physical team like the Titans for 60 minutes.  Atlanta will be the toughest challenge out of the first four games imo.  

6 hours ago, Justafan said:

Agree except for the last part.  I think Indy's defense is decent but the Browns had more talent and the Titans are better built to beat a team like the Colts.  The Jags are still the Jags and I don't think they have the fortitude to hang tough against a physical team like the Titans for 60 minutes.  Atlanta will be the toughest challenge out of the first four games imo.  

Atlanta are the toughest challenge because of their QB , but their OL is poor and they can’t stop the run. Titans match up really well with them

I'm very optimistic about Art Smith....but this was just one game.   It was a great debut....but one good game only means he's not utterly and completely incompetent.

The Browns had no film on his offense or any idea as to any play calling tendencies;  the Colts have only one game of film to study.    Teams will obviously get more and more film on him as the season progresses and they'll develop informed gameplans....and he'll have to respond.

It's like the old Mike Tyson quote:  every fighter has a plan until he gets punched in the mouth.    Art Smith had a great debut....but he hasn't been punched in the mouth yet.

Like I said....I'm excited and optimistic.   But it was only one week in a very long season, and there's a ton of football left to play.   There will be some ugly games along the way....Art's gonna take his lumps at some point and have to respond.   That's when we'll see what he's really made of.

Exactly Nine.  The irony is that we have sheeple on here proclaiming how wide open and aggressive it was when they ran out of more 2 TE and condensed sets than anyone else in the league.  Smith also ran it on 1st down 62% of the time through the first 3 quarters and 64% for the game (4th quarter lead).  This compared to the NFL numbers of 47% run on first down.

The big difference to me was that the offense executed on three explosive pass plays and in the red zone.  Things that completely shifted the game on the offensive side of the ball.   70% (173 yards) of the passing yards came on 3 passing plays.

Note that in 2013, they had the 3rd best overall explosive play ratio and were 7th in passing explosive plays.  2017 those ranks were 24th overall and 22nd in passing explosives.  2018 they were 14th overall and 24th in passing.  On Sunday, they were 10th overall and in passing explosives.

Red Zone had similar results.  They were 75% in the RZ on Sunday (10th overall by %).  Last year they were 23rd.  In 2017 they were 14th.  In 2016, they were #1 at 72%. 

25 minutes ago, ChemEngr79 said:

Link? I don't see this....

I tried to find the link and couldn't locate it. I saw it on the Twitter feed on TR a few months ago. It was $23.99 for the year. The only thing I could find was a referral link that would give you 40% off the price if you use the link but I'm not sure what that cost would be to you.

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=raf40&plan_id=45&shared_by_name=Gary&shared_by=2771657 

I found a post about the special deal on another sports message board but the link  takes you straight to the current cover page of the athletic. Sorry I couldn't help more.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12858208-1-year-subscription-to-the-athletic-1-99-mo-23-88

54 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

I tried to find the link and couldn't locate it. I saw it on the Twitter feed on TR a few months ago. It was $23.99 for the year. The only thing I could find was a referral link that would give you 40% off the price if you use the link but I'm not sure what that cost would be to you.

https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=raf40&plan_id=45&shared_by_name=Gary&shared_by=2771657 

I found a post about the special deal on another sports message board but the link  takes you straight to the current cover page of the athletic. Sorry I couldn't help more.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12858208-1-year-subscription-to-the-athletic-1-99-mo-23-88

40% off was 20% better than I found! 

Thanks.

16 hours ago, BudAdams said:

I watched highlights of the KC-JAC game. Mahomes had a large majority of his yards gained on YAC from passes that were 10 yards or less in air.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:02 AM, TitanDuckFan said:

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at.

Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiskie either wasn't good at recognizing those or didn't bother calling plays to exploit them.

He seemed dead set on using a handful of his favorite plays insisting that they'd eventually pop.  It was a recipe for disaster.

He mentioned a few times how he and Mularkey would argue about it later, but it never improved.

I still say Mularkey could have saved his job if not for his devotion to Robiskie.

The problem was far more playcalling than it was scheme related.

Exactly. Gotta be malleable. I kept noticing that left side was dogshit and wanted us to screen or sweep that side. I come back from the fridge and Henry is on a 75 yd td run.