Is Art Smith More Mularkey or LaFleur?

tgo

9 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The issue is play design and calls and in 2016, it worked.  That's not debatable. 

In 2017, it didn't for a variety of reasons -  OL play, RB play, Quarterback play.  The same issues existed with LaFluer (actually RZ was worse).

Claiming he didn't understand situational football is just asinine.  I'm not saying he's a great OC but there are plenty of examples where the coaches are the same and results vary year to year. 

Also, we have literally one game of a sample size for Smith.  I'd perhaps wait to see how things unfold.  Given he's so much better than Robiskie and the talent level across the board is so good, we should expect the #1 RZ offense right?

Non-answers aren't answers.

Why isn't he somewhere calling plays if he was so fucking good?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's definitely more Mularkey and that's a good thing. Mularkey's run scheme was brilliant and very intricately designed, it was his passing game that left a lot to be desired. Smith seems to be able

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at. Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiski

As for the 75yd screen pass, they used the same play in the first qtr. The difference was that in the first qtr, Henry ran through the line and got caught up, hence Mariota overthrew him to avoid the

Posted Images

I never said Robiskie was great - in fact I said he wasn't great.  At the same time, I'm not going to have a baseless claim that he had no idea what he was doing when he actually had one good year/one average year as an OC.  The fact is that the 2017 offense actually outproduced the 2018 offense from an efficiency standpoint (points scored, red zone efficiency). 

I'm not going to say Smith is better than Robiskie off of one game. 

Everyone crowned Whisenhunt in 2014 and 2015 after week 1 wins.  How'd that turn out?

How did Chip Kelly do in the pros?  Or at UCLA?

14 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I never said Robiskie was great - in fact I said he wasn't great.  At the same time, I'm not going to have a baseless claim that he had no idea what he was doing when he actually had one good year/one average year as an OC.  The fact is that the 2017 offense actually outproduced the 2018 offense from an efficiency standpoint (points scored, red zone efficiency). 

I'm not going to say Smith is better than Robiskie off of one game. 

Everyone crowned Whisenhunt in 2014 and 2015 after week 1 wins.  How'd that turn out?

I didn't say Smith was better than anybody, yet.

I said he showed he can call plays based on what appears to be a grasp of situational football and defensive tendencies, and I was backed up by multiple pundits who recognized the same thing.

Something that Robiskie regularly showed he struggled with.  Along with a stubbornness expecting certain plays to "pop," regardless of the fact those plays had failed more often than not, or at least multiple times in the same game and/or against multiple opponents.

And he even admitted on more than one occasion that Mularkey chewed his ass about it.

And then he lost his last passing game gig for his players' poor performance(s).

So, since you have no answer for why he doesn't hold a position anywhere in the league that even approaches the kind of responsibility of an OC has, even though it's patently obvious why not,...

We're done here.

Take your obtuseness elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I didn't say Smith was better than anybody, yet.

I said he showed he can call plays based on what appears to be a grasp of situational football and defensive tendencies, and I was backed up by multiple pundits who recognized the same thing.

Something that Robiskie regularly showed he struggled with.  Along with a stubbornness expecting certain plays to "pop," regardless of the fact those plays had failed more often than not, or at least multiple times in the same game and/or against multiple opponents.

And he even admitted on more than one occasion that Mularkey chewed his ass about it.

And then he lost his last passing game gig for his players' poor performance(s).

So, since you have no answer for why he doesn't hold a position anywhere in the league that even approaches the kind of responsibility of an OC has, even though it's patently obvious why not,...

We're done here.

Take your obtuseness elsewhere.

No you are making a broad assessment on Smith based on ONE game.  Look at LaFleur last year.  He called a good game versus Philly and was absolutely horrible the next week at Buffalo.

As for Robiskie, he was not a passing game coordinator in Buffalo - simply a WR coach and their offense stunk.  The rookie QB hitting 50% of his passes maybe had something to do with that. 

Regardless, the fact he's not a coordinator today has nothing to do with what he did in 2016 or 2017 as the OC.  Let's not pretend that Mariota being horrible in 2017 wasn't a huge problem for the offense/red zone or otherwise.  Plenty of his misses were open plays where the design was perfectly fine.

27 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

No you are making a broad assessment on Smith based on ONE game.  Look at LaFleur last year.  He called a good game versus Philly and was absolutely horrible the next week at Buffalo.

As for Robiskie, he was not a passing game coordinator in Buffalo - simply a WR coach and their offense stunk.  The rookie QB hitting 50% of his passes maybe had something to do with that. 

Regardless, the fact he's not a coordinator today has nothing to do with what he did in 2016 or 2017 as the OC.  Let's not pretend that Mariota being horrible in 2017 wasn't a huge problem for the offense/red zone or otherwise.  Plenty of his misses were open plays where the design was perfectly fine.

Face it dude, your narrative is in the shitter along with Mularkey's head coaching career, and Robiskie's offensive coordinator career.

Own that shit.

8 hours ago, BudAdams said:

What is abundantly clear is that the passing game is going to be heavily reliant on play action or scheme to maximize the efficiency of MM (or minimize the deficiencies of MM).  When they did do straight drop backs, it was ugly as Romo pointed out. 

I know this came up in another discussion but play action can work without the run game working but you have to be doing both from the same personnel grouping/formations to keep teams honest.  Late in the year, the Rams faced this problem after Gurley was clearly playing hurt.  Teams ignored play action and sent heat after Goff.  His production from PA was far less effective. 

Going to create a thread to discuss this. Teams are countering play action in one specific way; we saw the Browns do it alot in week 1.

13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Going to create a thread to discuss this. Teams are countering play action in one specific way; we saw the Browns do it alot in week 1.

image.png.218eb2f07bf02140f1c9c34c5b1964b5.pngRegarding what @BudAdams posted about teams countering the Rams.......

We also saw the Steelers do it to the Titans in PSGIII last year.

The Steelers all out pass rushed and really blew up Mariota as he went through the fake hand offs and totally nullified the play action. A playaction takes more time to develop so rushing against it is really effective. 

Once the Titans completed the screen pass and got a two score leads the Browns had to respect the run and couldn't do what the Steelers did. 

49 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Face it dude, your narrative is in the shitter along with Mularkey's head coaching career, and Robiskie's offensive coordinator career.

Own that shit.

What narrative is that?  I want to see a bigger sample size before I proclaim Smith as a good OC or an upgrade to LaFleur or Robiskie. 

If you want to pretend that Mariota's regression was solely on everything but him, that's laughable.  There's a reason why the Titans under the last 3 coaching staffs have schemed up and dumbed down the passing game.  They know.  How many successful plays the other day were schemed up to have simple reads for Mariota?  Nearly every one.

Can't say Smith is better than Robiskie after one game but you can damn sure say he's better than ML.  ML, in his entire tenure as OC, never schemed up anything as effective as that.  The few times they had really strong offensive performances, it came on the backs of star players having big days (Davis against NE and Henry against Jags/Giants).

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Can't say Smith is better than Robiskie after one game but you can damn sure say he's better than ML.  ML, in his entire tenure as OC, never schemed up anything as effective as that.  The few times they had really strong offensive performances, it came on the backs of star players having big days (Davis against NE and Henry against Jags/Giants).

I’ll say it. But I won’t throw Robisckie solely under the bus as Mularkey dictated the crap momentum killing trickeration calls.

Just now, Justafan said:

You still have to be careful. 

The Titans were 2-10 on 3rd down, the running game wasn't really good before the 4th quarter and before the screen pass to Henry MM had a 60+ passer rating. 

After the Browns imploded and the Titans got the lead it was pretty easy to exploit the Browns defense selling out to stop the run with the last two TDs(which were 30+yd drives BTW).

But I think Smith will be fine if the players execute. But it's easy to go overboard