Is Art Smith More Mularkey or LaFleur?

tgo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's definitely more Mularkey and that's a good thing. Mularkey's run scheme was brilliant and very intricately designed, it was his passing game that left a lot to be desired. Smith seems to be able

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at. Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiski

As for the 75yd screen pass, they used the same play in the first qtr. The difference was that in the first qtr, Henry ran through the line and got caught up, hence Mariota overthrew him to avoid the

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

Thanks for the reference. It was a good read.  One of the things they've talked about in the past was Mariota's ability to call and change things at the line.   I wonder how many of these were straight calls by Smith and how many were things MM recognized and got right.   Just a thought

This is a good point actually - LaFleur/McVay are notorious for not having audibles, and this was a huge point of contention for Rodgers and LaFleur all offseason. They had a huge power struggle over this in Green Bay which Rodgers ultimately won. 

Despite endless debate to the contrary, Mularkey had a pretty robust audible regime in place for Marcus on most plays, so maybe Smith takes that aspect and makes it better. 

Edited by tgo

Agreed, but Smith seemed to show better situational awareness than we've seen in recent years. I particularly like the way he changed things up on first down. I don't know the exact stats, but I only recall thinking "I saw that play coming" a few times, whereas in the past I could have predicted like half the plays, which is a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

The concept(s) are the same.  Every playbook in the NFL shares 90+% of the same plays.  We all know this, you included.

The playcalling, and the choices and timing of the playcalls are what make the difference.

If Robiskie was worth a shit as a playcaller, he'd still be doing it.

He's not.

He killed more drives than Bishop Sankey.

Explain the red zone success in 2016 if he was such a moron?  Their success rate for the season was the same as the other day.

Well I think it's a good move to have some big Boom or Bust plays sprinkled in throughout the normal offense. Last year the only unique plays we had were end arounds and wild cats. We through it one time to Mariota to rub our balls on the patriots, but other than that it never seemed like we pulled out any clever plays to catch the defenses off guard. 

The patriots often do flee flickers or move receivers to running back. They used to do TE running plays. "Trick" plays can be useful if you're normal offense is still effective. 

6 minutes ago, Maker84 said:

Smith has by far been our most wide open OC we’ve ever had. He makes sure to establish a blend of run and pass and doesn’t try to ever be too predictable and run into walls when teams are loading up against the run. 

I don't know if you can say that from ONE game. 

8 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

Murray maybe?

Was great to see tds yesterday...big issue last year

The difference in the RZ performances in 2016 versus 2017 and 2018 were in the passing game. 

In 2017/2018, plenty of plays were open but not executed whether it be the QB, receiver, or protection. 

I love what Smith did but the irony is that the RZ play calls were exactly like we saw under Mularkey/Robiskie. 

26 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Explain the red zone success in 2016 if he was such a moron?  Their success rate for the season was the same as the other day.

In 2016 under Russ Grimm the O-Line and pass-pro was exceptional.

Your turn.

Explain why Robiskie isn't calling plays somewhere else if he was that good.

Hell, he got fired at his last gig as a receiver's coach/passing game coordinator.

The rest is just noise, and misguided opinions.

4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I was fine with the Smith hire and think he'll do a good job but we need to see 3-4 games. Anyone remember Whiz opening in KC or against TB?

True, opponent didn't have any real film on Mariota in Whisenhunt's offense at that point. 

Similar to Smith, but given that Smith likely has a more heavily schemed passing game play to play hopefully that advantage doesn't go away for a little while in this situation. And play action is play action, nothing you can do to "scheme" against that outside of blitzing which can be countered as we saw. 

I think this Indy game we're going to see about 10 short zone beater passes to Humphries and another half dozen or more to Delanie sitting in zones. 

Edited by tgo

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

In 2016 under Russ Grimm the O-Line and pass-pro was exceptional.

Your turn.

Explain why Robiskie isn't calling plays somewhere else if he was that good.

Hell, he got fired at his last gig as a receiver's coach/passing game coordinator.

The rest is just noise, and misguided opinions.

The issue is play design and calls and in 2016, it worked.  That's not debatable. 

In 2017, it didn't for a variety of reasons -  OL play, RB play, Quarterback play.  The same issues existed with LaFluer (actually RZ was worse).

Claiming he didn't understand situational football is just asinine.  I'm not saying he's a great OC but there are plenty of examples where the coaches are the same and results vary year to year. 

Also, we have literally one game of a sample size for Smith.  I'd perhaps wait to see how things unfold.  Given he's so much better than Robiskie and the talent level across the board is so good, we should expect the #1 RZ offense right?