Is Art Smith More Mularkey or LaFleur?

tgo

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

What is abundantly clear is that the passing game is going to be heavily reliant on play action or scheme to maximize the efficiency of MM (or minimize the deficiencies of MM).  When they did do straight drop backs, it was ugly as Romo pointed out. 

I think they will be reliant on play action which makes perfect sense especially if teams are keying on Henry...and he is running with some success.

as far as scheming goes I think that is exactly what this team under Vrabel wants to be...able to change up based on opponent and what is working.  Not stuck in any one mold.  That's straight from his time with NE IMO.

After rewatching game I don't think anything was particularly ugly...somethings not quite where they needed to be but it was week 1 and on the road.

They did some straight drop backs and I think they will continue to do it.  Not like they just figured out that it's not Mariota's strength.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's definitely more Mularkey and that's a good thing. Mularkey's run scheme was brilliant and very intricately designed, it was his passing game that left a lot to be desired. Smith seems to be able

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at. Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiski

As for the 75yd screen pass, they used the same play in the first qtr. The difference was that in the first qtr, Henry ran through the line and got caught up, hence Mariota overthrew him to avoid the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

That's situational football and was something Robiskie just wasn't good at.

Defenses and their personnel show abilities and deficiencies and tendencies throughout a game and a season, and Robiskie either wasn't good at recognizing those or didn't bother calling plays to exploit them.

He seemed dead set on using a handful of his favorite plays insisting that they'd eventually pop.  It was a recipe for disaster.

He mentioned a few times how he and Mularkey would argue about it later, but it never improved.

I still say Mularkey could have saved his job if not for his devotion to Robiskie.

The problem was far more playcalling than it was scheme related.

This is basically true for Whiz, Robiskie, and LaFleur to some extent. They were married to their systems, stuck in their ways, and it shows.

Smith is hopefully not an ideologue and can be more flexible in game planning and during the game also (which is truly what Vrabel wants).

After one game I'm not going to say it's true, but I'm optimistic based on what I saw and I'm hearing.

Edited by Titans279

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

Romo never said that. Never said Anything close to that 

He said we can do straight drop backs against that front 7 with a beat up line. We need to slow them down with PA and screens. 

He never said our pass game was ugly or mariota dropping straight back was an ugly offense. 

Romo said "Tennessee is not going to drop back to pass and beat you".   Kelly at LT was part of it but we all know MM is way more productive from play action or a quick throw.  Passing from a clean pocket is not his game.

On the very next play (3rd and long), Mariota missed a wide open Sharpe for a first down from a clean pocket with no pressure.  This isn't something new as this has been the case for years now.  

3 hours ago, tgo said:

This is what I was wondering, thanks for that insight. I agree on the last two points as well. Any idea on percentage of zone vs power?

Can anyone else that really knows scheme chime in on how much power vs zone we used as well? 

@Face @NewsToTom 

It's something I noted for when I get a chance to watch the all-22 (maybe tonight), but didn't track it live. Overall, "this feels more Mularkey-ish" was a feeling I had during the game, and from looking at the results (stretch of really productive play vs longer periods lacking consistent effectiveness), but "this feels" live thoughts aren't normally something I want to privilege.

2 minutes ago, NewsToTom said:

It's something I noted for when I get a chance to watch the all-22 (maybe tonight), but didn't track it live. Overall, "this feels more Mularkey-ish" was a feeling I had during the game, and from looking at the results (stretch of really productive play vs longer periods lacking consistent effectiveness), but "this feels" live thoughts aren't normally something I want to privilege.

Interesting Tom. 

Come back and educate us once you've watched the all 22 and let us know your thoughts on the overall scheme and similarities/differences to LaFleur/Mularkey! I'd love to hear your further insight. 

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

At least in this game there was max protect, play action, 2 man routes, pre snap defined reads. All the successful pass plays he knew where he was going. 

The problems will arise if they fall behind or get behind the chains a lot 

Then you're going to see Mariota get smoked and everyone will start blaming the o-line.

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

At least in this game there was max protect, play action, 2 man routes, pre snap defined reads. All the successful pass plays he knew where he was going. 

The problems will arise if they fall behind or get behind the chains a lot 

It wasn't max protect as much as they chipped Garrett a ton. On the first 2 drives they ran plays twice where there was trips right on top of Garrett and he got chipped by a couple of guys. Humphries in particular. Brilliant and very Mularkey-esque