Titans nickel defense + Derrick Henry

OILERMAN

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One aspect of the current team and how Robinson built it is how they are built to close out a game and protect a lead.    I believe that when the Titans can play their nickel defense against

Like that, I'd imagine.

The defense is definitely shaping up to be a fearsome,  potentially dominant unit.    They just went on the road against the league's most hyped, star-studded offense and held them to a meager 13 poin

57 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I saw a stat that said the Titans ran 30% 3WR sets, 29th in the NFL and they were #1 in 2 TE sets. I wonder if that’s the offense going forward, or did the game dictate it? Knowing Smiths background, I would guess the latter 

We need to see a bigger sample size. Obv they weren't kidding about the offense running through Henry. They also ran the ball on 1st down the most in the NFL through 3 quarter(before it got out of hand). 

They'll be games where they fall behind or the opposing defense struggles against 3 WRs but overall I think they'd rather run the ball and play a lot of two TE sets

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I saw a stat that said the Titans ran 30% 3WR sets, 29th in the NFL and they were #1 in 2 TE sets. I wonder if that’s the offense going forward, or did the game dictate it? Knowing Smiths background, I would guess the latter 

i think it depends on the game and opponent 

they listed 3 starting WR on the depth chart for the first time ever. 

they paid big money for humphries and brought in brown who they obviously think of as a starter. .. same with humph. 

... and vrabel apologized to the WR after the game saying they will be get their chances and the plans are for them to be a bigger part of the game plan. 

this game called from more protection and bigger sets. so thats the way we went. 

One thing is for damn sure..... They aint spreading the field with 3 WRs, lining MM in shotgun and running hurry up......lol. NE offense baby!

I'll have to dig up those old posts for a good laugh. BTW, why was Fahey happy with Smith? This was the offense he bitched about. MM can't play under center remember?

We're wasting MM running the offense through the running game! As if we had Mahomes or something. 

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

37 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

We need to see a bigger sample size. Obv they weren't kidding about the offense running through Henry. They also ran the ball on 1st down the most in the NFL through 3 quarter(before it got out of hand). 

They'll be games where they fall behind or the opposing defense struggles against 3 WRs but overall I think they'd rather run the ball and play a lot of two TE sets

I think it had a lot to do with the defensive fronts they were facing.  They kept an extra TE close to Kelly for large chunks of the game.  I would be surprised to see it be that TE heavy all year.  

A lot of those sets included Walker or Smith going out in routes too, who are basically big WRs so the numbers have to be considered with context.  

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

One thing is for damn sure..... They aint spreading the field with 3 WRs, lining MM in shotgun and running hurry up......lol. NE offense baby!

I'll have to dig up those old posts for a good laugh. BTW, why was Fahey happy with Smith? This was the offense he bitched about. MM can't play under center remember?

We're wasting MM running the offense through the running game! As if we had Mahomes or something. 

Are you not factoring in the defensive line we were facing and the patchwork o-line we were dealing with? 

They arent trying to get Mariota killed out there. I’m interested to see how much they open things up when Lewan returns. 

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Are you not factoring in the defensive line we were facing and the patchwork o-line we were dealing with? 

They arent trying to get Mariota killed out there. I’m interested to see how much they open things up when Lewan returns. 

That’s possible but opponent likely factors too

Even out of 3 WRs they’ll run and throw safe passes

We tried to go 5 wide and block their rush with just 5 but Kelly got fucked immediately and Mariota got sacked. Against worse pass rushes and with Lewan I can see them being more multiple out there. I think Smith adapts to the situation, which is a good thing.

Edited by Titans279

20 hours ago, enigma said:

It's simply Oman hinging his bets to limit the crow he'll have to eat if Mariota's play continues to uptick...

20 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

LOL!!! 

We'll see

Oman is cool.  He's just waiting for Mariota to set the plate right.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Our All Pro LT was out as well as our starting guard against one of the best front fours in the game...obviously they weren’t going to spread the ball. 

14 hours ago, rns90 said:

Landry was pretty impactful just looking back at the highlights.  It seemed like he got pressures consistently.

Anyone know the snap counts on Isiah Mack?  I think he came in the 2nd or 3rd series on defense.  I'm pretty sure he has leapfrogged Austin Johnson in the rotation.

Two totally different players. 

Mack is a rusher and Austin Johnson is a run stopper, so they'll be used in the rotation accordingly based on situations and opponent.