Sign in to follow this  
nine

Okay, so AJ Brown is just freaking sick....

32 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

We did. His name was Derrick Mason. 

If you're saying general playmaker of high quality/caliber, then yeah. If you're comparing the type of receiver they are then not exactly. Brown is much more like Boldin or David Boston-lite. Mason was more like a TY Hilton/Tyreek Hill style player, just a little beefier and not as fast.

5 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

If you're saying general playmaker of high quality/caliber, then yeah. If you're comparing the type of receiver they are then not exactly. Brown is much more like Boldin or David Boston-lite. Mason was more like a TY Hilton/Tyreek Hill style player, just a little beefier and not as fast.

Mason was not remotely a Hilton/Hill type player.

Mason was a little faster, Brown is bigger. But they were pretty similar to large degree. 

Edited by Starkiller

23 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Mason was not remotely a Hilton/Hill type player.

Mason was a little faster, Brown is bigger. But they were pretty similar to large degree. 

Hilton/Hill were the first names I thought of. I just don't see the Mason thing. I'll keep looking.

2 hours ago, Justafan said:

A 5'10" 197 lbs reciever is the same type of WR as a 6'1" 230 lbs guy?  Ok.  

If you watch them play, yes. The fact that Brown is stronger than Mason was doesn’t change that. 

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

If you watch them play, yes. The fact that Brown is stronger than Mason was doesn’t change that. 

They're completely different body types.  It's a terrible comparison.  

12 minutes ago, Justafan said:

They're completely different body types.  It's a terrible comparison.  

But similar styles of play, which is the whole point...

I do not get the D. Mason to AJ Brown comparison at all.

If you mean they both run good routes and neither rely on their 40 time, then OK -- but that description applies to the majority of successful WRs in the NFL. 

Mason was a smaller, shifty WR with better explosion and agility than I think he's getting credit for. He was a top flight return man. He couldn't go up and win 1-on-1 balls. He wasn't a great blocker.

AJ Brown isn't nearly as shifty. He's supposed to be much better on 50/50 balls and using his size to shield defenders. He's powerful as a runner after the catch because he runs like a RB. He should be a great blocker at this level. He's not ever going to be our return man.

I think the fact Brown knows how to disengage from a DB and create separation is what makes him somewhat like Mason.  He does a great job of setting guys up and exploding away from them.  Mason was good at that as well.  

3 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I think the fact Brown knows how to disengage from a DB and create separation is what makes him somewhat like Mason.  He does a great job of setting guys up and exploding away from them.  Mason was good at that as well.  

You could say that for any good WR again lol. That describes AB lol.

Of course.  Obviously a guy like Mason and Brown are going to be different after the catch although Browns showed some ability to juke pretty well.  

In a nut shell this is why so many WRs with size, speed and great workout numbers never amount to anything.  Being a great WR takes much more than just running a route against air.  The point however is that Mason and Brown have / had what it takes to be better than just good.  Regardless of the size difference we are looking at guys who can get open in a phone booth.  That is rare.