Sign in to follow this  
nine

Okay, so AJ Brown is just freaking sick....

46 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Vrabel said in his presser we will draw up plays where our WRs will get some balls. I'm sure be had Brown in mind. Sharpe may become a spectator. No wonder we dumped Taylor.

I think he was referring to Davis and Humphries. 

Edited by japan

1 hour ago, TeamRamrod27 said:

The concern over his speed is so silly.

He ran a 4.49 and Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71 with a similar skill set and body type.

I wondered before where that was coming from.

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

He doesn't and it's ok to say that. He can still become a fantastic player a la Anquan Boldin or Larry Fitz though. 

It’s dumb to keep pointing it out though. Most of the best WRs in NFL history weren’t speedsters. 

1 hour ago, TeamRamrod27 said:

The concern over his speed is so silly.

He ran a 4.49 and Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71 with a similar skill set and body type.

This. Jerry Rice was a 4.6 guy. Again, the best of all time weren’t 9 route speedsters. It’s more about explosion and change of direction. 

14 minutes ago, Lars said:

It’s dumb to keep pointing it out though. Most of the best WRs in NFL history weren’t speedsters. 

It's only dumb if you point it out to imply he can't be successful. Other than that it's just making a simple observation. Brown is plenty fast enough to get it done anyways.

Could you imagine if we had someone like AJ during the Steve McNair era?

I wonder if having Mariota throwing to him is like driving a Lamborghini to the supermarket with one eye blindfolded.

Edited by Denali

13 hours ago, Lars said:

This. Jerry Rice was a 4.6 guy. Again, the best of all time weren’t 9 route speedsters. It’s more about explosion and change of direction. 

DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.6

Chris Sanders was plenty fast in a straight line and he was a mediocre receiver at best.

Quick twitch muscles that allow a guy to create space, strength to outmuscle someone, consistent hands, and great route running are are all far more valuable attributes than rocket speed. Always have been, always will be.

15 hours ago, japan said:

I think he was referring to Davis and Humphries. 

he was definitely talking about them. 

this was a TE/play action game with a couple of deep shots. negate the pass rush was priority #1 for us. 

If you look closely he hits a little speed boost after he’s caught the ball that gives him just enough separation to throw the stiff arm. Watch him put his head down and grind for that extra foot of separation. Without I don’t think he can extend the stiff arm properly and likely gets tackled. It’s those little nuances you absolutely love to see, especially from a rookie in his first game.