CottontownTitan22

We need to go ahead and lock in Derrick Henry long term

7 minutes ago, tgo said:

He *is* the foundation of the offense as we speak. 

They can cut Lewis to clear half the money and just have Dawkins or a mid round draft pick or a cheaper FA play the Lewis' role now that they have Humphries. 

And even if you have the mindset that you're not winning anything anyway with a rookie QB, it's critical to the progression of a young QB to have a run game to lean on. 

I get that, but you really think they'll want to give him a 3/4 year contract with huge numbers when they didn't even want to use him as a RB1 for half of last season? If you have the right pieces on the OL and a good run blocking scheme you can get decent production from a lot of guys. I don't see J Rob paying Henry what will be needed, because someone will probably pay him top 3 RB money

Edited by IrishTitansFan

14 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I get that, but you really think they'll want to give him a 3/4 year contract with huge numbers when they didn't even want to use him as a RB1 for half of last season? If you have the right pieces on the OL and a good run blocking scheme you can get decent production from a lot of guys. I don't see J Rob paying Henry what will be needed, because someone will probably pay him top 3 RB money

Yeah of course, look at how dominant he's been since then. And remember, this is all assuming he has a monster year. If anyone needs to pay him top 3 or top 5 RB money, it should be us. He's absolutely key to our entire philosophy in terms of complimentary football and being minus a good QB. 

We can't risk "decent performance" from the RB position - we need excellent performance from that position in order to succeed as a team. 

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Yeah of course, look at how dominant he's been since then. And remember, this is all assuming he has a monster year. If anyone needs to pay him top 3 or top 5 RB money, it should be us. He's absolutely key to our entire philosophy in terms of complimentary football and being minus a good QB. 

He still only had over 20 carries twice all of last year. His domination was basically off of 2 games! I get what you're saying, and I really like Henry as a running back, but I fundamentally disagree with paying basically any RB a big 2nd contract. The value just isn't there 

3 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

He still only had over 20 carries twice all of last year. His domination was basically off of 2 games! I get what you're saying, and I really like Henry as a running back, but I fundamentally disagree with paying basically any RB a big 2nd contract. The value just isn't there 

I normally would agree on paying RBs and re: value. But in our particular situation I think the value really is there, again assuming that Henry balls out all year and stays healthy. 

This is a young player who is not a total speed reliant player, who doesn't have a ton of wear and tear for the position, and who is in his prime and is really just getting started as a player rather than a RB entering the decline. 

Edited by tgo

33 minutes ago, tgo said:

I think Henry's gonna be in the 10-12M per year range, maybe a tad more. 

I agree and that sounds about right to me. 

Henry is only 25 years old.  A 3-4 year extension still is before he turns 30 and if structured right should allow for the team to cut bait after a couple of years with minimal cap impact.

Dion Lewis is due nearly $5m next year, but only carries a $1.2m cap hit if he is released after this season.  He gone.

Henry is clearly not in Elliott's league.  Two recent contracts that set the margins are Gurley ($14.3m p.a.) and Devonta Freeman ($8.25m p.a.)  I'd peg Henry right in between those two at around $11m per annum.

The salary cap is so big these days that it really is no impediment to any team. 

Signing Henry to a contract like this is hardly going to sink the franchise or stop us signing other players. 

Not re-signing Henry and relying on a total make-over at RB, with visions of Chris Brown, Chris Henry and Bishop Sankey coming in and replacing his production is a risk that I'm not sure this offense can sustain.

I'm not big on paying RB's but with Henry's minimal wear and tear and his unique size and speed, I don't have a real problem with the Titans resigning him.

Real question is what you all think he is worth. Something 6-8mil a year over 4 years in all in. If we are gona get hin for 10 icould get behind it but more im not sure.

Edited by Callidus

3 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

I see what you're saying. I've just seen what Henry stuck behind bad OL play looks like and I fear we could return to that far easier than it seems.

Man, believe me, I completely get where you’re coming from. We all have PTSD from last year’s running game drought.

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I think “they” was Matt LaFleur and feeding Lewis to make the run game work the way he intended. Of course, it wasn’t working for any back, but I think that was the idea.

2 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

If he has the year he's on track to, it's going to cost 10 million a year to keep him, that's upper tier, not quite elite money; the market has been pretty much set.

For the foreseeable future maybe. I can see Barkley, Kamara, and McCaffery getting more, which could put a 10 per type of deal in a more team friendly bracket. Especially for a guy with the potential of a 1300+/400/15+ stat line. 

And if JR thought Dion was worth 5 per, it's hard to argue Henry isnt worth an extra 5. 

Not to mention they can get out of Dions contract after this season. Keep the big bruiser that guys are afraid to get in the way of, who can also house a screen from 80 yards out, and replace the "change of pace" back the cheap way.

Even if Mariota has a solid year and they decide to keep him, he shouldn't demand top tier money either. Imo, we could possibly find ourselves in the position DAL wanted to be. Guys who can get it done while only having to give up deals which allows us to keep more pieces of the puzzle. 

3 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

What would you find reasonable?  How does 4 years for $35-$40 million with $20 million guaranteed sound? Fair warning, I suck at this contract stuff.

I’m equally as bad. I’d do a 3 year contract. 

I think by the fact that some FAs will not be kept means it shouldn’t be too terribly hard to re-sign Henry if that’s what the team decides.

Natural roster turnover will help create the opportunity.

Looking at Austin Johnson, for example, who is earning a regular person salary above Henry for being drafted two picks ahead.

I think it’s gotta be 4. I feel at 3 years you’re forced to up the guaranteed amount, and if you don’t, it becomes insulting and forces the player to check out FA.

2 hours ago, tgo said:

I think Henry's gonna be in the 10-12M per year range, maybe a tad more. 

I agree. I think we should start the negotiations around 9-10M a year and work from there. 

Moreover, I think this offseason becomes really easy once we know what we're doing with Mariota. I think because we're still in the dark in that regard, you have to prioritize the guys you would resign regardless of what happens with Mariota. Henry would seem to be the highest priority out of him, Ryan, and Conklin. That's mostly because we have a cheaper alternative on the bench behind Conk and other guys to fill in behind Ryan if he were to leave. We have no way of filling Henry's shoes. 

I think we should do a 3-4 year deal and front load the fuck out of it. If he's putting up 1200-1400 yards and breaking defense's wills every game, he's worth 10-15M. If we can give him a deal like that where we pay most of it on the front end, it will reduce the risk of a Chris Johnson type of situation. 

Edit: He's even more valuable if we go the rookie qb route next year. 

Edited by Thrill