We need to go ahead and lock in Derrick Henry long term

CottontownTitan22

I think the key is getting the ball to him in space more. Hopefully Sunday’s game is an indication of more to come.

But you don’t back off paying a productive player because of a “what if this goes bad” line of thinking.

For instance, I doubt JR is going, “What if I can’t put good pieces on the OL? Might as well get just any RB.”

Might as well have not scouted and kept Alex Barnes on the team, or McNichols.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's a freak and their best player on offense IMO and the offense revolves around him.  I also think he has significantly improved his pass blocking and he can catch the ball too.  Add in the lack of

Based on week 1, Henry, Ryan and Conklin all get new deals.

I agree and that sounds about right to me.    Henry is only 25 years old.  A 3-4 year extension still is before he turns 30 and if structured right should allow for the team to cut bait afte

54 minutes ago, GLinks said:

I think the key is getting the ball to him in space more. Hopefully Sunday’s game is an indication of more to come.

But you don’t back off paying a productive player because of a “what if this goes bad” line of thinking.

For instance, I doubt JR is going, “What if I can’t put good pieces on the OL? Might as well get just any RB.”

Might as well have not scouted and kept Alex Barnes on the team, or McNichols.

I see what you're saying. I've just seen what Henry stuck behind bad OL play looks like and I fear we could return to that far easier than it seems.

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

He isn’t some generational talent, but he is a high-tier runner with less tread than other backs, hasn’t really been injured (just some dings here and there), is showing consistency, is a home-run threat , AND is a physical phenom. 

I think you give him him three years at a reasonable cost. 

What would you find reasonable?  How does 4 years for $35-$40 million with $20 million guaranteed sound? Fair warning, I suck at this contract stuff.

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

What would you find reasonable?  How does 4 years for $35-$40 million with $20 million guaranteed sound? Fair warning, I suck at this contract stuff.

If he plays well enough to keep him, I expect it to cost ~$7-10 mil/yr ballpark. So a 3 year $21-30M ish. I struggle with paying him much more than 10 unless he just is just a monster (pushing 2000 yards and just killing opposing D's).

7 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

The Titans would be stupid to pay Henry and there's no way they will. There's something about Henry that multiple coaching staffs don't fully trust

Henry is the foundation of this offense and they need to pay him after the season if he has great production. 

He needs to either be extended or franchise tagged if he has a great year. Normally you don't want to throw big money to a RB - but in our situation there's no choice imo. With Mariota or another journeyman or a rookie QB, the run game will be the foundation of the team and Henry is the kind of back that can carry a whole offense. 

Additionally, he has relatively little wear over his career so far and is in amazing condition, he's going to be able to handle a lot more wear and tear over his career due to his freakish size and conditioning. 

There are RBs that you don't pay, AKA most of them, but this is one we need to pay and he needs to be the foundational piece of this offense going forward, regardless of his shortcomings. 

Assuming Henry has a career year and good production, I see him as the most important player to re-sign next year strategically - more than Conklin, Mariota, Logan Ryan, Kelly, everyone. 

Edited by tgo

4 minutes ago, ChemEngr79 said:

If he plays well enough to keep him, I expect it to cost ~$7-10 mil/yr ballpark. So a 3 year $21-30M ish. I struggle with paying him much more than 10 unless he just is just a monster (pushing 2000 yards and just killing opposing D's).

I think Henry's gonna be in the 10-12M per year range, maybe a tad more. 

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Henry is the foundation of this offense and they need to pay him after the season if he has great production. 

He needs to either be extended or franchise tagged if he has a great year. Normally you don't want to throw big money to a RB - but in our situation there's no choice imo. With Mariota or another journeyman or a rookie QB, the run game will be the foundation of the team and Henry is the kind of back that can carry a whole offense. 

Additionally, he has relatively little wear over his career so far and is in amazing condition, he's going to be able to handle a lot more wear and tear over his career due to his freakish size and conditioning. 

There are RBs that you don't pay, AKA most of them, but this is one we need to pay and he needs to be the foundational piece of this offense going forward, regardless of his shortcomings. 

Henry is way too boom or bust to be the foundation of an offense for a long period of time. Atleast he has been. That Browns game was the most encouraged I've been on him in a while because he was getting the dirty yards along with a couple decent breaks. I can't see JRob paying more than 8/9 million for a running back given his background. If they have a rookie QB it won't matter who the RB is because they're not winning anything anyway IMO

3 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Henry is way too boom or bust to be the foundation of an offense for a long period of time. Atleast he has been. That Browns game was the most encouraged I've been on him in a while because he was getting the dirty yards along with a couple decent breaks. I can't see JRob paying more than 8/9 million for a running back given his background. If they have a rookie QB it won't matter who the RB is because they're not winning anything anyway IMO

He *is* the foundation of the offense as we speak. 

They can cut Lewis to clear half the money and just have Dawkins or a mid round draft pick or a cheaper FA play the Lewis' role now that they have Humphries. 

And even if you have the mindset that you're not winning anything anyway with a rookie QB, it's critical to the progression of a young QB to have a run game to lean on. 

Edited by tgo

7 minutes ago, tgo said:

He *is* the foundation of the offense as we speak. 

They can cut Lewis to clear half the money and just have Dawkins or a mid round draft pick or a cheaper FA play the Lewis' role now that they have Humphries. 

And even if you have the mindset that you're not winning anything anyway with a rookie QB, it's critical to the progression of a young QB to have a run game to lean on. 

I get that, but you really think they'll want to give him a 3/4 year contract with huge numbers when they didn't even want to use him as a RB1 for half of last season? If you have the right pieces on the OL and a good run blocking scheme you can get decent production from a lot of guys. I don't see J Rob paying Henry what will be needed, because someone will probably pay him top 3 RB money

Edited by IrishTitansFan

14 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I get that, but you really think they'll want to give him a 3/4 year contract with huge numbers when they didn't even want to use him as a RB1 for half of last season? If you have the right pieces on the OL and a good run blocking scheme you can get decent production from a lot of guys. I don't see J Rob paying Henry what will be needed, because someone will probably pay him top 3 RB money

Yeah of course, look at how dominant he's been since then. And remember, this is all assuming he has a monster year. If anyone needs to pay him top 3 or top 5 RB money, it should be us. He's absolutely key to our entire philosophy in terms of complimentary football and being minus a good QB. 

We can't risk "decent performance" from the RB position - we need excellent performance from that position in order to succeed as a team. 

Edited by tgo