We need to go ahead and lock in Derrick Henry long term

CottontownTitan22

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's a freak and their best player on offense IMO and the offense revolves around him.  I also think he has significantly improved his pass blocking and he can catch the ball too.  Add in the lack of

Based on week 1, Henry, Ryan and Conklin all get new deals.

I agree and that sounds about right to me.    Henry is only 25 years old.  A 3-4 year extension still is before he turns 30 and if structured right should allow for the team to cut bait afte

8 minutes ago, CottontownTitan22 said:

And if he runs for 1400 yards and 12+ TDs this year?

hes a freak. He opens up a passing game 

Doesn’t make him worth a big contract. If we dump Mariota and bring in a rookie QB contract we will have money to blow. Only way I see us retaining Henry at a high price. 

56 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Doesn’t make him worth a big contract. If we dump Mariota and bring in a rookie QB contract we will have money to blow. Only way I see us retaining Henry at a high price. 

I think Henry would stay even if it wasn’t a Zeke contract. No one else will offer him Zeke money. 

57 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

This is a likely scenario

It will be interesting if we keep Henry because we have so many big FAs this year. The team next year could look a lot different.

MM/RT

Henry

Conklin

Ryan

And to lessor extents

Woodyard

Sharpe

Fluellen

Pamphile

Austin Johnson

Brent Urban

Correa

Sims

19 minutes ago, CottontownTitan22 said:

I think Henry would stay even if it wasn’t a Zeke contract. No one else will offer him Zeke money. 

I’m cool with paying him what he is worth. Henry has been great but he isn’t a 3 down back. No reason we should pay him like one. We can cut Lewis and replace him with a cheaper 3rd down back. We have some potentially big contracts coming up in the next 1-2 years so it’s not like we have money to throw around.

Henry would be crazy not to seek a double digit contract. 

Edited by CaliTitan3518

The chances of replacing Henry with a similarly skilled RB are virtually zero.    JRob and Vrabel will have to decide whether Henry is a critical component in their vision of the offense or whether they could have a similarly productive offense with a different RB.  If they choose the former, then it becomes a matter of what they're willing to pay to keep that philosophy intact.

What we absolutely don't want is Henry going back to his hometown and having to face him twice a year.   And you know they'd kick Fournette to the curb and roll up the Brinks truck if they had a shot at getting Henry.

It's going to depend on how well the team does and how much he's worth.  Henry is in maybe the best position of all the top RBs.  He hasn't been used up like a Bell.  He's also not a special player who should expect to break the bank.  The NFL should find a way to more fairly compensate RB.  They make way more of a difference than their compensation, in a lot of cases.  They do it with QBs.  A player like Henry could get drafted in the second, be one of the most important players for his team and earn just a fraction of what other position players earn for a career.

Byard's first contract was less than Henry's, but Henry will never get what Byard got for the rest of his career.  It's kinda like that for all the RB.  They give too much to the league not to earn much better compensation.  Incentives could work, but I remember the Colts sitting James because he was ten yards from make an incentive that he had definitely earned for all he did for the Colts that season.

Who knows?  Jerry thinks, "Pay the man, I'm going to make a shit ton of money off him."  Jerry's more right than wrong.  

So far, IMO, if he keeps playing this way, you look to re-sign him. I don’t think Henry is the type to get a big money deal and then slack off.

I’ve thought about this, and even if you sign Mariota to a new deal (many’s apocalypse scenario), knowing he’s not getting top tier QB money leaves room to to give some of that to Henry and other players. 

Again, it’s not easy to replace good RB production. I love Lewis, but he’s probably not going to put up the TD production numbers of Derrick Henry. Plus, Henry’s ability to wear down a defense is special. He’s been the dagger against teams in games before, and now Vrabel even remarked he’s picked up blitzers on Sunday.

At this rate, I would not let him get to FA. I would look to extend him mid-season, if warranted. That way, even if you do replace Mariota, you’re giving the next QB an integral piece who already knows the offense.

Edited by GLinks