oldschool

Rewatched the game (OFF only) this morning

4 minutes ago, nine said:

I agree that a better throw to Brown likely results in a TD.    

I completely disagree that he had room to step into the throw.  Here's a shot as the ball leaves his hand, an instant before he's chopped down at the knees.

spacer.png

The angle is off. look at it a few frames before that. I'm curious what the all-22 shows. 

Edited by oldschool

Just now, TitanDuckFan said:

Bullshit.

Look at the reference points on the field.  The yardline and the hashmarks put the lie to your assessment.

If he steps into that throw he likely takes a helmet to the knee, bigly.

Being comfortable in the pocket is about trusting your O-Line to make and hold a pocket.  For the time being, the O-Line hasn't earned his trust, and I'm sure Arthur and Vrabel understand that.

lies lol. I rewatched it a few times. The angle may be off either way. I trust Nine to show us the all-22. The funy thing about your post is the assertion the OL didn't play well yesterday. rewatching the game proves otherwise.

2 minutes ago, SamoanTitan78 said:

How is that angle off? Geez excuses

you are looking at a freeze frame. Watch it in real time. Even so its possible the all-22 shows Nine to be correct. all I went off was the broadcast which may not show the the entire picture.

Edited by oldschool

10 minutes ago, oldschool said:

lies lol. I rewatched it a few times. The angle may be off either way. I trust Nine to show us the all-22. The funy thing about your post is the assertion the OL didn't play well yesterday. rewatching the game proves otherwise.

They played better than anyone here thought they would, especially against that front 7.

But to say they played the whole game at a high level would be at best inaccurate, and at worst the usual TR bullshit assessment.

That's a biased homeristic view that allows you to redirect blame to your favorite target.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

Just now, nine said:

You're correct that the pressure came from the side after the PA fake....but look at the defender.    If Mariota steps into the throw, that defender is hitting him squarely in the back of his knees as his arm is coming forward.    But since Mariota didn't step into the throw, the defender hit his knees from he front.  

We're splitting hairs over a tiny fraction of a second, here.   I'm simply showing that it wasn't as clear-cut as you're suggesting.   

Again you may be right. you pay for the all-22 sub right? Would love to see what it shows. Either way we are nitpicking this play to death. There are far more egregious plays that show Mariota's limitations.

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You know that's gonna happen.    Might be later in the week since I'll be traveling for work....but it's coming.

1 minute ago, TitanDuckFan said:

They played better than anyone here thought they would, especially against that front 7.

But to say they played the whole game at a high level would be at best inaccurate, and at worst the usual TR bullshit assessment.

They didn't suck and Mariota wasn't running for his life like many are claiming. They played well for being down two starters. The game plan was a huge part of that as well; all the play action, moving the pokcet, bootleg, etc....

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

A 2 play sequence in the 3rd shows us exactly who Mariota is. He drops back on play action and throws a beautiful pass to Brown in stride that goes for 51 yards. On the very next play he takes a bad sack again by bailing left after having 3 seconds to throw. he has a couple of nice throws late in the game and ends up tossing 3 TDs on nice but easy throws. It was nice to see him execute in the redzone. Hopefully it builds confidence.

In the end I saw exactly what is so frustrating about Mariota. He can throw a really nice seam pass and handle play action well but he clearly struggles when asked to drop back and process the field. The issues with his pocket presence were also on full display as he continues to struggle with feeling the rush and stepping up in the pocket. He's prone to bail left at the first sign of pressure and it looked to me like the Browns played that to their advantage a few times. In the end he had 3TDs and no turnovers which on the surface looks great. The truth is he was really bad before the henry screen pass TD which bumped his rating up 40 points. The team has little margin for error with Mariota at QB and that won't change anytime soon. 

That sack really bothered me as it showed his lack of situational awareness.  You can't take a sack there.  Basically you have to manage Mariota and can't really run a "regular' game plan.  He is what he is at this point.  Maybe he gets slightly better but asking him to just drop back (ie like a regular qb) will lead to disastrous results.  

Defenses will force him to throw outside the numbers and take away the seam stuff (Browns had weak S and coverage LB), we'll see how Smith counters that.