Rewatched the game (OFF only) this morning

oldschool

12 hours ago, oldschool said:

The OL was in no way shaky. In fact they held up really well most of the day. Most of the pressure was on 3rd and long or playaction. Again all QB's miss throws. Mariota just does it with consistency. Lastly I gave him credit for his good plays so saying we are only focusing on the negative is false. 

Fair enough. I actually agree with you on the OL, as I said. They played quite well. BUT, you could tell that our coaches didn't trust them at first in the game. They were scheming to protect and Mariota seemed worried about it. He bailed too quickly and rushed things a bit too much. By the second half, after the OL proved themselves, we made more plays. I actually thought the early deep throws were SUPER gutsy. Credit to Smith. He called a terrific game, and if Mariota had been a bit better early, we would have pulled away much sooner. After the first quarter, we dominated the Browns in almost every area.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rewatched the offense this morning and took notes. Here are things that stood out to me.   Offensive Line - This unit was way better than I realized. Sure protection was heavily schemed wi

I agree that a better throw to Brown likely results in a TD.       I completely disagree that he had room to step into the throw.  Here's a shot as the ball leaves his hand, an instant befor

You're correct that the pressure came from the side after the PA fake....but look at the defender.    If Mariota steps into the throw, that defender is hitting him squarely in the back of his knees as

Posted Images

Music City Miracles did a breakdown of this game.  They focused on why Davis was unproductive, and it's clear that they drew up several plays where he was open and either Kelly got beat, a blitz was called, or he got mugged by the CB (was held at least 3 times, called twice).  Simply seems like a matter of bad luck. Pretty annoying how defenses are Hack-a-Shaq'ing Davis

Has punt returner been discussed? Noticed that after Humphries fair caught the first two punts (second one where he had room to run) that Adoree came in and had a good return. Then Humphries was the returner again after that. Did they pull Humphries then get antsy about Jackson playing 100% of snaps and returning?

5 minutes ago, japan said:

Has punt returner been discussed? Noticed that after Humphries fair caught the first two punts (second one where he had room to run) that Adoree came in and had a good return. Then Humphries was the returner again after that. Did they pull Humphries then get antsy about Jackson playing 100% of snaps and returning?

I don’t think so. It seems to me they’re using Humphries as the mainstay to protect the possession. They wanted a chance at points before half and threw Jackson in there for a chance at a big return. This should continue to be the rotation here on out. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

8 minutes ago, japan said:

I think Jackson came in after the safety.  I think the thinking was that there was a potential for a huge return because it wasn’t your typical punt so give him a chance.

28 minutes ago, japan said:

Vrabel said that will be worked on this week.

On 9/9/2019 at 5:40 PM, oldschool said:

I think he could silence most of the critics if he made a few throws a game like he did to Brown. The other factor is he clearly needs play action to be succesful which is scary. I used to be on the Mariota needs to be in the spread allowed to process the field. I was wrong.

Did he complete a pass that wasn’t playaction, that also wasn’t a screen?  seems like almost every completion was either of those situations 

Edited by C_Train

2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Music City Miracles did a breakdown of this game.  They focused on why Davis was unproductive, and it's clear that they drew up several plays where he was open and either Kelly got beat, a blitz was called, or he got mugged by the CB (was held at least 3 times, called twice).  Simply seems like a matter of bad luck. Pretty annoying how defenses are Hack-a-Shaq'ing Davis

Of course they did. Mariota has always struggled throwing outside the hash marks which is crazy because he has the arm to do it.

16 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Of course they did. Mariota has always struggled throwing outside the hash marks which is crazy because he has the arm to do it.

It's frustrating.  You would assume he'd love the sidelines, as risk adverse as he is.  And he's always been slow on the draw and inaccurate while targeting Davis.  

On 9/9/2019 at 1:09 PM, nine said:

Arthur Smith definitely deserved the game ball.    There were a few play calls here and there that I wasn't crazy about.....but considering the situation he was handed for his first-ever game, he did a freaking tremendous job.

MM was supposed to be good at reading plays at the line. Mularky liked to give him 3 plays I think and ML didn’t give any?  Wonder if some of the great play calls are presnap adjustments. Does anyone know? 

34 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

MM was supposed to be good at reading plays at the line. Mularky liked to give him 3 plays I think and ML didn’t give any?  Wonder if some of the great play calls are presnap adjustments. Does anyone know? 

Vrabel would have to tell us. 

25 minutes ago, japan said:

Vrabel would have to tell us. 

He does tell us.

Just like on Monday when he said Marcus put them in some "good situations."

Coaches and teams track the success of the playcalls from audibles every game.  QBs that consistently misread defensive formations and either don't audible or make the wrong audible are bigger liabilities than anyone realizes.

Just because it's something they have no way of knowing from the outside.

3 minutes ago, RasKass said:

I told everybody Dennis Kelly was better than what people knew, and our offensive line would hold up well. He could be starting for alot of different teams. & our offense started slow, but the Browns actually have a pretty talented defense. 

Um no. Kelly is a liability at LT. Hes a much better RT but he's still a backup.