Rewatched the game (OFF only) this morning

oldschool

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

The truth is he was really bad before the henry screen pass TD which bumped his rating up 40 points. The team has little margin for error with Mariota at QB and that won't change anytime soon. 

There are posters and dreamers who will never understand this.  We will get beat by a well coached team and they will blame the line/receivers.  

JRob has surrounded our #1 pick beautifully. We have the talent to contend, but we got a dud at QB.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rewatched the offense this morning and took notes. Here are things that stood out to me.   Offensive Line - This unit was way better than I realized. Sure protection was heavily schemed wi

I agree that a better throw to Brown likely results in a TD.       I completely disagree that he had room to step into the throw.  Here's a shot as the ball leaves his hand, an instant befor

You're correct that the pressure came from the side after the PA fake....but look at the defender.    If Mariota steps into the throw, that defender is hitting him squarely in the back of his knees as

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Rewatched it last night and that was also my takeaway. Maybe I’m wrong, but to call it some terrible throw doesn’t make sense to me. The throw to Sharp was a terrible throw. The one in the end zone to Brown was a terrible throw. That was not a bad pass. Slightly high but within reach. 

I only saw the condensed replay - was this an outright miss or a throwaway?  NFL Gamepass had the Cleve announcers live (ugh) and they said it was a throwaway, but I don't recall if the coverage or pressure was legit or not.

38 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Lol. I’m guessing you didn’t watch much football this weekend. Mariota has a better game than most of them even with the misses. Did you watch Rothleisberger, Rodgers, Trubisky, Winston, Allen, Darnold...etc. They were fucking awful. Our QB wasn’t and had an efficient game. Quit fucking bitching for one week. 

Nobody would have an issue with the performance if it wasn't indicative of the issues we've seen from him in recent years.  But hopefully he gained some confidence and feel for the game after the last few series.  

57 minutes ago, begooode said:

I only saw the condensed replay - was this an outright miss or a throwaway?  NFL Gamepass had the Cleve announcers live (ugh) and they said it was a throwaway, but I don't recall if the coverage or pressure was legit or not.

It could have been a throwaway, but it would have still been a terrible pass. Brown was open and he had time. 

Mariota definitely missed some plays. He also made some plays. We can focus on the ones he missed all day, if you'd like. We could do that with any QB, and that QB will look bad (possible exception of Brady). Mariota played very little in the preseason. His OL was shaky, though I agree they played better than expected. Still, you could tell the Titans didn't trust the OL. It's week one, and Mariota played average ball. It was good enough to beat a team by 30 points. It's OK to be happy about that.

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Rewatched it last night and that was also my takeaway. Maybe I’m wrong, but to call it some terrible throw doesn’t make sense to me. The throw to Sharp was a terrible throw. The one in the end zone to Brown was a terrible throw. That was not a bad pass. Slightly high but within reach. 

Was it? Or did Sharpe not run the route correctly?

6 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

He ran it properly. Mariota threw it a quarter second too early with no pressure. It’s a timing issue I think should be fixed with a little time. That isn’t a see it throw it play. It’s a coverage read and release. 

6 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I think it's possible Sharpe misread the coverage. Looked like he was running into the safety's area, instead of cutting back outside, on the break. Hard to know, without knowing if it was an option route.

1 hour ago, Alcibiades said:

Mariota definitely missed some plays. He also made some plays. We can focus on the ones he missed all day, if you'd like. We could do that with any QB, and that QB will look bad (possible exception of Brady). Mariota played very little in the preseason. His OL was shaky, though I agree they played better than expected. Still, you could tell the Titans didn't trust the OL. It's week one, and Mariota played average ball. It was good enough to beat a team by 30 points. It's OK to be happy about that.

The OL was in no way shaky. In fact they held up really well most of the day. Most of the pressure was on 3rd and long or playaction. Again all QB's miss throws. Mariota just does it with consistency. Lastly I gave him credit for his good plays so saying we are only focusing on the negative is false. 

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

@IsntLifeFunny good stuff. A few points

1. The pass to Davis was 100% on mariota. The pocket was clean as was the window. He simply threw high. The fact Davis got 2 hands on it is a miracle. It was a terrible throw.

2. The throw to Brown in the endzone looked like a throwaway to me. He simply didn't trust himself or Brown to make a play. I'd like to see him give Brown a chance in that situation

3. You have a point about how bad QB was overall yesterday however what Mariota showed us yesterday is the same thing he's shown for 4 years. 

4. I'm a big believer in all QBs miss throws. The issue with Mariota is that he misses way more plays than he makes

Specifically as it regards to 4, I agree fully and it’s why he will not be a franchise player if he can’t put that aspect into his game. The throw to Brown on the short cross was money. Those are the throws he has to make every single time. I’m okay with some passes being off if he’s hitting underneath and intermediate routes against man that actually give our guys a chance to be game breakers. 

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Specifically as it regards to 4, I agree fully and it’s why he will not be a franchise player if he can’t put that aspect into his game. The throw to Brown on the short cross was money. Those are the throws he has to make every single time. I’m okay with some passes being off if he’s hitting underneath and intermediate routes against man that actually give our guys a chance to be game breakers. 

I think he could silence most of the critics if he made a few throws a game like he did to Brown. The other factor is he clearly needs play action to be succesful which is scary. I used to be on the Mariota needs to be in the spread allowed to process the field. I was wrong.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

I think he could silence most of the critics if he made a few throws a game like he did to Brown. The other factor is he clearly needs play action to be succesful which is scary. I used to be on the Mariota needs to be in the spread allowed to process the field. I was wrong.

He’s fine in spread. Give him some time. It’s still a new offense (what we ran yesterday was nothing similar to LaFleur regardless of the verbiage). I don’t believe he’s the answer, but I’m still giving him this year. He played a solid game yesterday while still being shaky on some things. 

Two plays id like to point out about his awareness was the rollout where he did the spin move (unblocked blitzed) and threw it away with his knee an inch above the ground. Also the one late in the game where he slid behind the line instead of taking a hit. Those are small intangibles we need to see, and I think we will, along with the timing becoming better, as he finally gets back to just playing football. At least that’s the hope. 

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

He’s fine in spread. Give him some time. It’s still a new offense (what we ran yesterday was nothing similar to LaFleur regardless of the verbiage). I don’t believe he’s the answer, but I’m still giving him this year. He played a solid game yesterday while still being shaky on some things. 

Two plays id like to point out about his awareness was the rollout where he did the spin move (unblocked blitzed) and threw it away with his knee an inch above the ground. Also the one late in the game where he slid behind the line instead of taking a hit. Those are small intangibles we need to see, and I think we will, along with the timing becoming better, as he finally gets back to just playing football. At least that’s the hope. 

Solid is a huge stretch. He was really bad prior to the Henry TD pass. He made a few good plays but not enough. Good point on the two plays you highlighted. Lastly I don't expect him to last the year and I hope his leash is short as the team can win in the regular season with average QB play. 

Just now, oldschool said:

Solid is a huge stretch. He was really bad prior to the Henry TD pass. He made a few good plays but not enough. Good point on the two plays you highlighted. Lastly I don't expect him to last the year and I hope his leash is short as the team can win in the regular season with average QB play. 

By solid I mean average. He was absolutely average, likely above average, relative to the rest of the QB play we saw in week 1. If he gets the timing down on a few of those throws we are likely talking about a 330 plus performance. The offense looked good and we’ll see how it goes.